Boots Soltan Facial Sun Defence Cream SPF30

Filtered by age: 25-29
No Image

3.8

on 4/8/2007 3:49:00 PM

The Soltan faces range was reformulated this year, so reviews prior to this are for the older versions.

The most notable change is the addition of Tinosorb S and M (spf50+ vrs only) - which increase the uva protection of these ss's substantially. They now have truly high ppd's, and ive heard rumours that the spf50+ has a ppd of 25.

What I dont like is the addition of fragrance, and shea butter. The fragrance in them is a weaker vrs of the one that is in the regular soltan line - its very artificial smelling, and i believe it irritates my eyes. The shea butter also adds more emmoliancy to this which i dont like as it was fine before.

I like that they have changed the butylene glycol to glycerin, as this is more skin friendly.

The finish is somewhat similar to the old vrs. Its a little tacky in places, and there is a fleshy cast left in places that can streak if not rubbed in properly. I have a tube of both the new spf30 and 50+ vrs, and i have to say overall i think i prefered the older vrs more. After wearing the new one for a couple of days i developed a couple of blemishes around my chin/jaw. I also think they arent as cosmetically elegant as the older vrs's.

I am somewhat dissapointed with this new change. I feel they could have done better to make them more pleasant to wear.

here are the ingred's of the spf50+

Aqua, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, Glycerin, Octocrylene, Butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, Isotridecyl salicyate, Isononyl isononanoate, C18-36 acid glycol ester, Polyglyceryl-3 methyglucose distearate, Polysilicone-15, Methylene bis-benzotriazolyl tetramethylbutylphenol, Bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, Butyrospermum parkii butter, Dimethicone, Titanium dioxide, Diethylhexyl butamido triazine, Sorbitan stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Cetyl alcohol, Polysorbate 20, Mica, Decyl glucoside, Tocopherol acetate, Parfum, Xanthan gum, Acrylates/vinyl isodecanoate crosspolymer, Sodium ascorbyl phosphate, Vitis vinifera, Sucrose cocoate, Dimethyl oxazolidine, Potassium hydroxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylene glycol, Propylene glycol, Panax ginseng, Manganese dioxide, Aminomethyl propanol, CI 77891.

Edit I decided to give this another go, and I really like it! I prefere the spf30 vrs over the 50 though as leaves less trace. The fragrance doesnt bother me anymore unless i get it right near my eyes, so I just avoid this. I havent broken out this time, so last time must have been from something else. I even like the addition of shea butter in this now, and i appreciate the glycerin more - my skin feels smoother after a day wearing it, well hydrated as opposed to dry from wearing LRP dermo peds spray.

EditHhhmmm, ok - so I think this does mildly break me out if I wear it for a few hours. And apparently its not as matte as I thought it looked... was talking to my mum who expressed her dislike of the 'grease' I insist on putting on my face all the time. lol continued >>

on 1/29/2006 7:36:00 PM

The Soltan Facial Sun Defence Creams (available in SPF15 and SPF30 flavours) use Optisol, a new form of TiO2 'doped' with Manganese, thanks to the wonders of nanotechnology. The Manganese makes the TiO2 a better UVA filter, stabilises the Avobenzone and cuts down the production of free radicals. Since it's not white but a semi-flesh toned colour, Optisol is much more cosmetically elegant than vanilla TiO2.

on 1/29/2014 5:12:00 AM

I have rosacea and veeeeerrrrry dry skin, and this is my HG product. Light-weight, easily absorbed and effective. I don't wear any foundation or concealer, but the slight white cast that this SPF creates actually gives me a much better skin tone - I'm extremely pale so it'll probably only work for the super super fair. Though the formula is a little greasey it doesn't sit on my skin, and after 5 minutes it's gone. I just hope they never discontinue it :) After using it, people have told me I'm 'glowing' - which never happens when I'm not wearing it, so something must be working!

on 7/13/2007 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

After trying out a few other sunscreens this week, I realised how truly great this one is. I have oily/combination skin and mild acne. This doesn't break me out, doesn't leave a white cast (my skin is light brown,) and is light and non-greasy. It's always on 2 for 1, so it's also very cheap. It doesn't leave my skin completely matte, but it doesn't leave it shiny either. I find it feels like a lotion going on, and is quite refreshing.

I don't use a moisturiser with it, and I reapply during the day, and after breaking out from other sunscreens, which also left my skin looking generally blah, after one day's use of this my skin is already looking and feeling much better. I actually prefer this to most moisturisers I've used, and I've used lots. And most of them were fairly expensive.

I have the SPF 30 and 50+, they're both great, and they even seem to make my complexion look more even while I'm wearing them. I've used these for a while now, and I don't think I'll be straying again.

Edit: I still love the SPF50+, but I've gone off the SPF30 - the scent is stronger, and it's greasier. I've changed my overall rating, as this is for the SPF30, but not by much, as it's still better than others I've tried, and cheaper than most.

Edit again: I realise now that I had the old version of the SPF50, which for some reason was still on the shelves at my local Boots. I can't stand the new version.

on 5/30/2006 12:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Very cheap and doesn't break me out like most sunblock,the texture similar Laroche posay anthelios XL spf50+ creme fondante (new formulated) which isn't feel greasy or leave white mask on myskin.this's my alternative sunblock i can't use on my hypersensitive skin.

on 1/26/2006 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is the only line of sunscreens I'm aware of that has five star UVA protection; in fact, the first sunscreen ingredient listsed is in the UVA range, which is nice because I find most sunscreens have a lot more UVB protectants than A.

This cream is almost lotion like it has such a thin consistency, sinks in really well, none of this white residue business.

As with all sunscreens, it does leave a shinyish finish, but for a sunscreen, it's not not too bad; it's not oil slick looking just in need of some powder.

I don't think it contains any perfumes as the only scent there is is a slight dull chemical smell, which I actually prefer. It is formulated for sensitive skin. This is very easy to apply and use coz the skin soaks it up so well and it doesn't feel as occlusive on the skin as other sunscreens I've tried.

This is the sunscreen for me from now on because of the impressive UVA protection and the nice formulation. It was something like €11.80 for a 50ml tube-great size for putting in a handbag.