2.8

price range

Reviews

2.0

9 years ago

Notes: bergamot, tangerine, petit grain and jasmine; tobacco and leather; vetiver and oakmoss. The tobacco and leather notes are the first to be noticed, later the fragrance gets warmer and sweeter. This is likely due to the flowers which, along with the fruit, are otherwise not distinguishable. I associate this scent with damp wood in a fireplace, a foggy and cold Novemberday in the countryside and you smell the fireplaces of far away country homes. This fragrance lasts 4 hours.

About reviewer (308 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlond, Wavy, Medium

13 years ago

I had much the same response as many of the reviewers: the first time I smelled this, I was horrified. I wasn't expecting the smoke, and it was SO strong, so opinionated. I put the sample away, but found myself returning to it for that smoke, dryness, strangeness. More and more, I found myself really liking it. Finally, I went through a smoke phase, and got very overdosed on sweet fragrances. It was fall, I was tired, I was deep into my brain and the abstract. Suddenly Palais Jamais clicked. I got a decant and roared through it. This is a scent I often carry with me even when I'm not wearing it, just in case. It's refreshing to smell, interesting, complex, and if you end up in a fragrance disaster, it can move almost anything into bearable. I get a dry, green, deeply smoky beginning. The smoke backs down slightly, and a very very dry, aromatic jasmine with slight hint of herbal (sage and bergamot) twines around it. It is dry, the driest scent I know. It's opinionated, odd, rich, elegant, layered. The packaging (as with all Etros) is gorgeous, and if I smelled this on a man, I'd love it. However, if I smelled this on a woman, I'd love it too. But this is not a scent I'd EVER give to someone as a gift unless they'd smelled it and already knew they loved it. I don't even include this as a decant - it's just too idiosyncratic -- but do often include samples of it just because it's so interesting.

About reviewer (542 reviews)

14 years ago

An interesting mix of jasmine and tea. The smokiness makes it too masculine for me, and the sage makes it too herbal for me, and the jasmine isn't pronounced enough to fight back against the desert brush. Maybe if it were more of a dry accord, like one of the Gobin-Daudes, it would be more interesting? In any case I'm passing on this one entirely.

About reviewer (187 reviews)

EyesOther

15 years ago

On Aedes' site part of the description of this scent states that "Its name is that of a place that is suspended between the green of a Middle-Eastern garden, Allah's garden and the silence of the desert." How nice, since that is apparently the same place that the nomads of CdG's Nomad Tea also go for their tea. These two teas definitely are members of neighboring tribes. Both are smoky, woody, citrussy, mint teas. Palais Jamais is quite a bit less sweet, however, and has sage and light leather notes that CdG's does not. CdG's also has more pronounced lemon notes, but they are still undoubtedly related. They seem simultaneously deeply comforting and slightly mysterious and to me they are both incredibly delicious scents, but, there's no question that you have to like smoky teas to enjoy them.

About reviewer (577 reviews)

SkinOther

3.0

15 years ago

Not bad, but not particularly original. Roger and Gallet's Bouquet Imperiale for example is possibly a better rendition of the same fragrance, available in a variety of applications from Eau de Toilette to soap, , at a fraction of the price.

About reviewer (105 reviews)

SkinOther, Other

HairOther

15 years ago

Tea in the Garden of Allah? No, no, not quite. More like burning cigarette butts in the vestibule of the OTB. Dreadful.

About reviewer (27 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinAcne-prone

HairBlack

EyesBlack

15 years ago

I had a sample of this ages ago, and since losing it I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. It's a gorgeous scent, makes me think of the desert on a cold night. For whatever reason, it's a very comforting scent to me. I'd love to have this in a candle, unsure if I can pull it off as a signature scent.

About reviewer (5 reviews)

Age19-24

HairBrunette

15 years ago

I smell like a burning building in this. Luckily, though, Mr. Dave smells positively edible in it. Once again, I moved this to his side of the cabinet.

About reviewer (22 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Other, Other

15 years ago

A smokey jasmine-- very interesting. I could see this being someone's signature scent. It is quite unusual. The jasmine is fresh and not of the gaggity kind. I would wear this on occasion, but I probably wouldn't buy a full bottle. This is a cold scent, like jasmine which blooms in southern Mississippi in the winter with the smoke from someone's fireplace in the distance.

About reviewer (258 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Other, Other

EyesGreen

2.0

15 years ago

Such an interesting scent - a burst of lemon mingled with, yes, as mentioned before, sage. I also get a hint of sandlewood. BUT WHERE'S MY JASMINE??? I can't detect it. I fear it's there, just drowned out by the citrus and the smokiness. Wait. I think I can sense it. Whoops. There is goes again. Not good on me, I'm afraid. On me, it smacks of burnt plasticine mixed with a giant lemonhead brewing in a curried concoction of sage and coriander and woodchips. Yeesh. I know it's such heresy to say I dislike this immensely. **in a very small voice** sorry... But this just ain't me.

About reviewer (49 reviews)

Age30-35