Milk of Magnesia as Primer

Price: $

on 7/21/2016 10:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

IT ***WORKS***!

I was actually amazed the first time I tried it: I just used my fingers to smooth the shaken liquid from the bottle onto my face. I let it dry (about 3 minutes). My face looked smooth and mattified! I have really oily skin and it's always been a battle to stop it from shining.

I was so convinced that MoM works on me that I went to work today with JUST MoM on my face! No foundation on top, no powder on top, no CC cream, nothing. I checked my complexion at the noon mark and I wasn't looking like a complete greaseball like I normally do. THIS STUFF WORKS. I can't say I would ever go to work with nothing on my skin; I usually need some powder to even out my complexion. But MoM seems to smooth everything over, control the oil and I simply don't need anything else.

My skin is sensitive so I will report back on whether MoM eventually blocks my pores or causes pimples, whiteheads or any rashes.

A large bottle was $8 CAD and it was the generic drugstore brand. HUGE cosmetic payoff for the money. Considering the thousands of dollars I've spent on treatments, masks, powders, mattifiers, etc. this has been the most dramatic and longest lasting shine-free thing I've tried.

on 5/7/2016 5:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

Milk of magnesia is, without exception, the single most effective cosmetic, beauty, or other skin-related product I have ever used, bar none.

Short version: Used for oil control, it has been 100% effective for me for the several months that I have been using it. That is, after struggling to balance my regime in order to deal with excess oiliness throughout the day, I now have negligible oiliness to the point that I no longer consider it a problem. I have also experienced zero side-effects. I have never found any product, in any category, to be even close to this effective.

Long version: I have sensitive, acne-prone skin which means I have struggled to find the right combination of skin-care + make-up products to give me the healthiest skin I am able to achieve in combination with decent coverage of the damage already sustained. After years of trying everything, I finally got into a decent routine after switching to mineral make-up, and a benzoyl peroxide gel (5%). [I also still use La Roche Posay Effaclar, but I truly don't know how much it adds at this point. I'm just trying not to mess with the balance.]

After reaching this point where my troubled skin was mostly under control, I was left with one major problem which was that my face would become seriously oily, pretty much every day, within a few hours or less, depending on the temperature, etc.

I have tried all sorts of primers intended to aid in oil control, at all sorts of price margins. I used UD/skindinavia or MUF face setting spray for years. I've tried masks made from all of the major food groups. I have altered my diet, you get the picture!

I encountered the suggestion of MoM for oil control on MUA, and did a little research. I was buoyed by the positive reviews, but didn't want to get my hopes up too much after disappointing experiences with other 'miracle' products (manuka honey, for example. Delicious, but not a face saver for me). I found one line of argument suggesting MoM is potentially a terrible idea because it interferes with the natural bacteria of the skin, in ways that might be harmful. I was cautious, but as far as I could tell, there was nothing in this suggestion that indicated the potential for long-term damage (I am still not clear on this, but have not seen any evidence). I figured, if it was going to interfere with my face in a way that acne-causing bacteria would thrive, I would figure that out quickly enough and could discontinue use.

I got a large bottle of MoM because that's all Walmart had, and it turns out to be the cheapest thing I use on my face besides water.. excellent value for money.

I use MoM in addition to, not instead of, a primer, in the following way:

Wash fash (I have a Clinique cleansing brush which I recommend for a thorough clean without having to scrub if you have sensitive and damaged skin. Currently in use with Philosophy Purity which is decent value in a massive bottle given how little you need to use on a brush)

La Roche Posay Effaclar+ (??? who knows, in all honesty, what this does)

Moisturise (Clinique DDMG - I keep trying to find a cheaper moisturiser but nothing ever feels like it absorbs into and hydrates my skin like this. Well done, Clinique)

Apply milk of magnesia - at first I was pouring it out into my hands and wiping it onto my face but that caused too much waste. I now apply with a cotton-wool ball like you would a cleanser or toner. This means I use a very modest quantity, which I swipe all over my face concentrating in the worst areas.

- Let it dry which doesn't take too long -

Primer (I have discovered since introducing MoM that I get zero difference in results if I use $$$ primers or my nice and cheap Hard Candy 'Sheer Envy' primer. So I use that! I throw on some left-over Smashbox or Too Faced instead when I am feeling decadent.)

(other make-up)

The MoM leaves a residue on the skin as it dries. I leave it there, and it just disappears as I rub in my primer. I find that I cannot skip the primer, but this may have something to do with the textured and combination nature of my skin. I believe others may choose to leave it out.

For getting on for a year, now, I have been exceedingly happy to have all but eliminated my oily skin problem. My make-up lasts all day, and the oiliness never appears. In the past, I was lucky to make it to lunch time. Crucially, it also has not led to any noticeable negative effects (break-outs, dry skin, or otherwise). This is usually the deal-breaker after discovering something that at first appears to be a fab addition. I cannot get over what a genuine miracle product this has been for me.

My only downside is that I think the product evaporates somewhat in the bottle because mine has become thicker over several months, and there is less of it left than there should be given my rate of use. It's also a little messy. But I don't care about these things because it does exactly what I want it to do for dirt-cheap.

Who knew!!

To Read all 195 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

Initially purchased MOM as a acne controlling product to be used overnight as a mask but after going through some YouTube videos, discovered this could be used as a primer as well so I decided to try out that way and it worked! My face stayed matte all day.....though an uncomfortable matte as it was just too flat and without much character. Also, I might have used a little too much the first time round as I had white stuff in all the areas I had used MOM on.

I think this works wonders as an oil-controlling primer as your make-up will literally not move and stay in place. Coupled with a dewy finish set spray (I use Nyx), this is absolutely amazing as it tames down the matiness but still giving you the oil control you need. I don't use this everyday but almost always when wearing heavy duty make-up like on a night out or on a very humid day.

Pricing is great. I picked this up for about £2 in Savers and you get a big bottle of it which you'd need to throw out at some point as it's most doubtful this would be used up before expiration date. Definitely value for money.

I use a cotton wool ball to apply this but you can use your hands or sponge or whatever. I also only apply this to my T Zone and for the rest of my face just my regular primers. Product takes a while to dry but can tighten and pull face once dry so be very careful applying around the sensitive eye area. Also, apply a thin layer as it can flake under make-up and you'll end up having unwelcome white flaky stuff on your face.

This also works well as an overnight mask or to spot treat acne. I always add a few drops of this to my Turmeric face mask!

Conclusion: I would definitely repurchase and recommend as this is a very cheap alternative to expensive primers and works wonders.

on 4/22/2016 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Best third is!! Just make sure it's a think layer or it will flake!!!

on 4/21/2016 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Unfortunately for me this did not work. I have pretty oily skin and in my tzone it is massive especially on and around my nose. I used this for a long time before deciding that it was bad for my skin. I would use this everyday all over my face after moisturizer and before makeup for probably 4 months. The aftermath was terrible. It definitely contains the oils for sure, but I started to notice small patches of bumps all over my face, they weren't itchy. The texture of my skin changed, it became very rough and dull without makeup. I lost any kind of glow I had. Maybe you can use it every once in a while, but I won't use it again and will try to find something for my nose that is actually formulated for your skin.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

I have an oily T-zone, and directly applied it to those areas. Worked wonders for keeping me matte all day; however, I believe because it prevented the oils from releasing, it clogged my pores... worst breakout I've ever had from this stuff. I would say only use this if you have an event to go to or are only wearing your makeup for a few hours.

on 4/8/2016 3:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

For the first few minutes of applying this it really seems like its going to keep your face matte all day long. Face looks completely matte, lovely. However it just wasnt meant to be, it makes your makeup look really cakey, heavy, blotchy and very dry. It made my face look very white and chalky and im telling you i applied the tiniest amount so there were no white streaks, patches. It reduced oil only slightly my skin was still oily after a couple hours but dry and flaky too thanks to the mom.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have EXTREMELY oily skin and have heard of using this as primer for a while now, but finally got the courage to throw it in with an Amazon order to try. I use a cotton ball to apply and find that works really well (I swipe on my forehead but use a patting motions for my large-pore areas like my nose and inner cheeks close to the nose). I have a packaging gripe -- I bought the 12-ounce Phillips bottle, and I wish the top opening was smaller. I have to wipe the cotton ball off the top of the cap after I shake it instead of just holding the cotton ball over the opening, like any other toner I've ever used. That makes it more of a pain to apply, but using a cotton pad might help with that problem. Overall though, this works great at preventing oil buildup over my 10 hour work days where I don't get many opportunities to powder. I use it every day and have had no issues with breakouts on my sensitive skin. Sometimes it can leave whitish marks where it wasn't blended thoroughly, but I wear Biore UV Perfect powder-finish sunscreen over it, and blending in the SS on the white marks helps to blend it in. I think anything wet/moisture would help to fix that. Lastly, the entire product's basis is leaving a film on your face to prevent oil, so I would highly recommend using a scrub on days you're removing this -- I use Freeman's Charcoal Black Sugar scrub daily -- to make sure it is all off. Will purchase again, unless I experience terrible breakouts!

on 12/30/2015 9:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Totally works as a primer but can make your foundation look super cakey too.

What I did was apply an-oil free moisturizer, a very thin layer of MOM, a pore minimizing primer (as MOM doesn't really cover pores) and then 1/2 of my usual amt of foundation and lastly a light dust of mattifying powder over my t-zone.

Also, you need to know how much to use. One day I applied too much and I ended up looking horribly cakey. Another time I applied too little and I was oily by noon. So apply sparingly but it should leave a bit of white cast on the face. Oh, pls shake the bottle 1st before pouring out.

But honestly i'm not sure if I want to repurchase. I find that MOM alters the finish/texture of my foundation. I look like I have a full on thick makeup. So I've been avoiding full coverage foundations like MAC Pro Longwear or Estee Lauder when applying this.

on 12/30/2015 9:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Deep Dark, Not Sure

AMAZING! I used to have extremely oily skin and whenever I would wear makeup with a primer I still had to blot my face multiple times a day . I use this as a primer and I am matte all day! Perfect for gals with oily skin like me !