Bobbi Brown Tawny Powder Blush

Bobbi Brown Tawny Powder Blush
depotted BB + JHLA blushesTawny Powder Blush

4.3

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I've seen Tawny described online as "medium pinky brown" and also as "warm burnt rose". I think both descriptions are accurate.

This is great for I think medium to slightly darker skin tones. If you've got light or fairer skin, this might be slightly too dark and perhaps a little muddy, just depends on your skin tone. If you have lighter skintone, you will likely need to be light handed with this. I use a stippling brush and this is just 'enough' for my lighter NC20 skin tone.

The shade is beautiful. I think this would make a great Fall and even Winter shade in particular. But of course, if the color works well for you, of course it could be worn year round. Why not?? :)

Applies nicely. Very pigmented, so again, a light hand is best, it is better to build this one up, as it can be a little heavy on the cheeks if not careful. So again, therein I feel this is best for medium to darker skin tones. But as a lighter skin toned gal, I actually really like this. Yes, I do have to apply it with a light hand and with a stippling brush, but the shade is beautiful. On me it gives a beautiful natural flush of color. I like that it is matte. I am just not a fan of shimmer, in general. I suppose as a 46 year old woman, I just shy away from shimmers and glitters.

I will say, I appreciate Bobbi Brown's no nonsense, non-gimmicky packaging. Again, that could just be/probably is just the 46 year old in me. But this is a nice size, if you really like this color/shade this would be great to travel with. Great everyday shade.

Lasts all day for me. Does not turn any weird shades as the day wears on. A great, great blush. Definitely going to pick up another shade or two from this line. Very pleased. Would recommend and would repurchase, for sure!!

on 4/12/2017 10:10:00 PM

I have olive skin, brown hair and blue/green/grey eyes and this colour is warm and perfect on me. I like the look of naughties makeup, think Rachael MacAdams in the Notebook. I look like a doll when i wear this blush with some mascara and Bobbi Brown Creamy Lip Colour in Rose Petal. Worth noting too, my SO dropped my makeup bag once and i though oh no! My expensive blush will be broken. However it still remained perfectly in tact, so 5 stars for the packaging. I wear this without any foundation as i live in a humid climate and it's perfect for my minimalist look.

on 11/19/2014 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This blush is my new best friend. Bobbi Brown is my favorite line of cosmetics and her blushes are no exception to that rule for me. I have and love Apricot with my summer tan, but for the fall and winter months, I prefer Tawny. Now that I have moved from Florida and lost my permatan, I find that Sand Pink no longer looks good on me even though I still have neutral-ish olive skin. Tawny gives me a hint of color that is imperceptible as "makeup" but simply looks healthy. It fades a bit throughout the day, but I don't know of any other shade in any brand that looks quite as natural so I wouldn't want to replace it. It also coordinates well with all of my cool-toned lipsticks (I can't wear warm lipstick shades even though I look like I should be able to.) so I don't need to switch blush colors no matter what I wear. I have NC25-NC35 skin, FYI. Hope this helps! :)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my first Bobbi Brown blush and I am very impressed with the quality and ease of application. It is well pigmented so it is best to build slowly. It blends well and lasts many hours. I don't usually keep my makeup on for 10 or 12 hours so I can't speak to that kind of longevity. The color is a muted pink/brown but it pulls a little peachy brown on me. I am a very fair (NC20) olive tone. I think this color might not suit those with a pink rather than yellow or neutral undertone. I am just guessing here, but I can see this color working quite well on much darker skin tones than mine. It is on the expensive side and the compact seems a bit cheap. Already I am having a bit of trouble closing it tightly.

on 2/22/2015 9:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Tawny is a lovely warm pinky brown matte blush. It gives cheeks an incredibly natural flush on my Armani LSF 8/ Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 420 Bisque N/ NARS Syracuse (note that this is too yellow, though) medium tanned skin tone. It's not an "I just came in from the cold" color, but more of a natural soft rosy brown tone that subtly accentuates cheekbones and adds a hint of a flush. This goes well with many different looks and it's a wonderful addition to anyone's makeup collection :)

on 11/19/2015 9:48:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I bought this in John Lewis - I was fairly surprised when the sales assistant chose it for my pale, warm/yellow skin tone. I've tried applying it at home in various ways - on the apples of my cheeks, as a contour, blended with highlighter.... But it's just too ruddy for my complexion. If I amp up my eye make up I look like Aunt Sally, if I don't wear enough my eyes look tiny as my cheeks are so red. It also has a heavy dose of brown undertones, which is fairly draining on my complexion and makes it hard to blend out if you apply too much. I cannot find a nice way to apply it, but will keep it as it cost a fair bit.
I've not had much luck with BB powder blushes, as the formula feels extremely powdery and matt, and IMO can easily look quite dated due to this - such a shame they're not a lighter, more buttery texture as the colour range is huge. The Brightening Bricks and Pot Rouge are far easier to use with a more flattering result.

on 8/18/2013 11:45:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

For my NW40 skin, this blush is a perfect everyday color. Like all the other BB blushes I have tried, Tawny is very finely milled, so it goes on easily and blends to perfection. I don't usually wear foundation, but I apply my moisturizer, then apply translucent powder after 5 minutes, then blush. It wears for the entire work day and is completely matte, which makes it look very natural. $24 is not exactly cheap, but I'm willing to pay it because this is a great quality blush.

on 12/13/2013 8:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I got this blush a few years ago and use it rarely. It's my fault because I have neglected it.

I got this with as a BB special (love those BB special packaging promos). It is side by side with the Pale pink.. the duo if used together is amazing.

it's a good thing BB still makes the blushes separately .. it is maddening to have stuff be discontinued all the time. I would love to see this promo brought back.

this is a must have product even if you are very pale - it just gives that soft bronzey look to the skin and when combined with the pale pink it's selfie worthy.

will keep this in my rotation

on 12/13/2013 5:20:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I had some trouble liking this blush. I bought it and didn’t use it for quite some time. It seemed boring, somewhat vintage. After forgetting it in my kit for a while I gave it another try and I must say that its a really good blush. Its just perfect for a nice polished day/office look. Its not too pink or too brown, it gives just the right amount of zest to the face which ends up looking young and healthy. Stays on all day.

on 1/30/2014 5:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

This Tawny Powder Blush was my first ever Bobbi Brown blusher from 8 years ago and I sued it every day until I switched to Almond.

I was slightly alarmed (in my then-make up naïveté) when the sales assistant explained that this shade uses brown (rather than pink) as it's base colour, which would suit my yellow skin tone. The results speak for themselves, as it was perfect to give me a natural-looking flush.

As with all the Bobbi Brown powder products I've used, the Tawny blush is finely milled and easy to both apply and blend. I've since wanted a more contoured look so have moved on to the Almond shade, but my sister (who has naturally-flushed cheeks anyway) now uses Tawny and it enhances her features nicely.