Ardell UnRed

No Image

on 3/15/2015 10:52:00 AM

This product works good. It helped to tone down red in my hair when added to my hair color. Just a couple of notes... This stuff is black, so it will turn your hair dye black and appears a grayish color while in your hair. Once washed out it was fine. Second...you can use this to tone down brassines or redness but you should not use it in highlighted hair. The parts that are highlighted are going to pick up the pigment and since they are very light, will turn gray.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

So I got my hair dyed professionally red about a month ago. It faded to a horrible orange a week later. A week after that I had a brown put over top professionally and it looked like a nice tinted red but yet another week later faded orange again. I dyed it myself a week later with a light ash brown which toned it to a tolerable color but my roots only in the front of my head are still coppery.
in comes unred. Test patched and it looked more brown so I put it all over my head. Focusing mostly on the front area. Btw I mixed it with conditioner,not dye. It toned all of mu hair even more but it remains coppery in the front. It was worth the $1.99 bit didn't get as much of this faded red out as I'd hoped. It did make my hair feel really dry even though I mixed it with conditioner.

on 8/20/2013 11:32:00 PM

This is my first review and let's just say that I am an at-home haircolor novice. Normally I go to the salon and get heavy blonde highlights. Well, to make a long story short I tried coloring my hair at home (but that is a whole other review). My hair turned out a great blonde color, lighter than my salon color, but with slight orange roots and some orange streaks. I don't think I left the color on long enough. Anyway, I kept reading reviews about how to counteract the red roots and came across this. I could see that some of the reviews were iffy, but I decided to try it anyway.

So I decided to put a bunch of shampoo in my hand, about half a packet of Unred and massaged it all into my hair. Boy, is that stuff messy! I was prepared for the black color of the dye but did not know how it would get over everything! Anyway, I left it on my hair for a little over 10 minutes and then washed it out.

After deep conditioning my hair I was ready for the reveal. Right away I was disappointed because I could still see my reddish/orange roots even while wet. But as I got closer to the mirror I could see that the rest of my hair had a grey/green tinge to it. Oh no!

After drying it the end product was not good at all. It did not tone down my reddish/orange tones at all and instead turned my hair grayish green. I look like a Christmas tree with the mixture of green and red colors!

I am horrified with the result. It pretty much turned out exactly the opposite of what was expected. Based on this, I would not recommend this to anyone, especially people with light blonde hair.

on 10/6/2013 12:58:00 PM

This is for conteracting RED hair! Not orange, yellow orange, brass, whatever! Only RED! Hence the name UnRED. No wonder it didn't work for some of you people. Orange, yellow, and brass is not RED. Ardell makes a product called red gold corrected designed specifically for brassy colors! So don't give this product bad reviews due to your own stupidity. You shouldn't be coloring your hair at home if you don't know what the color red is. Just saying!

on 8/25/2013 4:57:00 PM

I heard so much about this product. I had to try.
I recently went from platinum blonde, to dark brown hair.
Because of the red filler the hair stylist used. I have brown hair with a red tint in sunlight. It drives me nuts. It is so orangy red. I decided to dye my hair at home, using 5 ash brown, which helped A LOT but still specs of red. Instead of redying to try and get rid of the stubborn red, I tried Unred by Ardell.

I did not use Unred in hair dye only because I have already recently dyed my hair. I mixed Unred with about 2 oz of conditioner, yes it came out black, can be scary but I did some research about this product was not nervous at all. I let it sit in my hair for 45 minutes.

Product worked amazingly. Most of the red has gone. Do not get confused with "some" of the red, let me tell you, my hair is like copper under sunlight. My hair really grabbed that copper filler so if this product can get rid of most of the red with one application in conditioner. It is phenomenal.

I'm excited about next time I dye my hair. I have a feeling it works better in dye. It will probably get rid of all the unwanted red tones.

on 5/26/2013 2:18:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I mean it makes sense that y'all are having issues with using the unred to get rid of brass. Its for red tones, which are not brass tones. Really, the unred is more for someone who dyed their hair red previously and they don't want red anymore.Theres is a difference and if you are wanting to get rid of brass you need to use the proper toner/corrector, which would be the red gold corrector. It specifically says to tone out unwanted brassy tones. I thought I would share with everyone why the unred is not pulling out brass..

on 4/8/2012 8:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought a few UnRed packets from Sally's. It is simply a toner-dye that needs a developer (hydrogen peroxide) and cancels out red tones. I put it in my hair dye but am pretty sure you can use it alone with developer because it is a dye itself. I am not sure how well it will work without a developer, for example mixed in your hair conditioner. It suppressed red tones effectively but did absolutely nothing for yellow tones. It also washes off easily with 2-3 shampoos so it has to be maintained. Although it worked as advertised, I would not repurchase because it is too much work. Either bleach your hair so the red goes away or apply a permanent toner-dye that deposits ashy colors to supress red and yellow at the same time.

I have been dealing with a hair color problem for the past several days:
About a month and a half ago, using the Revlon Frost and Glow kit, I created an "ombre" effect on the ends of my hair (which is light to medium brown, pretty neutral in tone). I made the ends a sort of honey blonde. It was not bad.
About a week ago, I decided to dye my hair back to all one color.
I ordered Goldwell colorance demi-permanent colors 6B (light golden brown) and 5C (neutral medium brown) and mixed them. I performed a strand test which showed a really nice shade of brown.
The next night, my husband did a great job of applying the color to my hair.
I really liked the shade of brown I got that night, though it did look a bit more "red" than I wanted.
After I washed it one time, the color changed to a strawberry/pinkish/reddish/orangish brown on the ends. It was very disturbing to see. After each consecutive wash after that, the color became more and more "weird" and "red/pink" and "creepy."
I tried about 20 strand tests with other dyes and products. None of these reduced the level of redness in the hair or changed the tone.
Finally, I tried the Ardell Unred product in some conditioner:
I mixed the packet that is available at Sally's with a pretty generous amount of Loreal Sulfate free conditioner (after washing with Head and Shoulders shampoo, which is supposed to fade hair coloring pretty quickly). I covered my hair with the conditioner/unred mix (which was a blue/black color) and then wrapped my head in a plastic Target bag and left it for 30-40 minutes.
As soon as I washed the mixture from my hair, I noticed a significant difference in the tone of it. It was still somewhat more red than I wanted, but WAY less weird - no more pink, strawberry, highly unnatural hues. I almost think the hair color looks pretty nice now. I even cancelled a color appointment I made at a salon for a few days from now (that was for the purpose of correcting my hair mistakes).

If your hair is too red after coloring, take a stab at conditioning it with this stuff! You have nothing to lose! It certainly helped me!

About 2 monts ago, I tries to dye my hair a burgundy color (a dark brown with purple undertones.) Turns out, it turned the ugliest shade of red. I'm sorry if I offend any red heads, but I ABSOLUTELY HATE RED HAIR ON ME. I have a natural ASHY brown hair color, so the warm copper color my hair turned looked bad and unatural. I contantley dyed over my hair a dark brown at the salon, but it continued to fade out as copper. About 2 months ago, I dyed my hair an off black color, which did overpower the brassiness. Temporarily. My roots are the reddest of all and when the sun hits my hair, it reflects a red color. I used the unred about 4 times so far, and the brassiness is stating to become less potent red, and more into a golden yellow. I find that this product will definatley take more uses to banish the red completely, but it does work. All you need is patients.

*NOTE I leave this product in my hair for about 1 hour when I use it. Ardell says you only need 2-3 drops, but I use the WHOLE SAMPLE packet lol. The product looks black straight out of the package, but will become a purple solution when you add it to your conditinor (if it stays black, thats just because you added more then required haha just like me :P) Good luck and hope you get unred

sorry for the crappy joke at the end. But im serious.

on 6/8/2012 1:42:00 AM

DO NOT USE UNLESS you want AUBURN COLORED HAIR ..UGH!! So upset I had dyed my hair medium ash blond it was still a little warm but mostly golden some red/orange tones eck! not enough ash I like my hair a very ashy dirty dishwater dark blond so I added this to my hair ... it turned my hair a medium auburn.

You cannot use this product if you have any hint of red or orange in your hair I don't care what it advertises. IT WILL TURN YOUR HAIR AUBURN.. maybe some people here like a warm light brown I do not it looks terrible on my complexion I am olive toned not a good look. I should have known blue purple to get out red never it cancels out the gold giving you auburn/ burgundy color.

It looks brassy as all get out I used two packages. And now I just spent the last two hours trying to scrub it out of my hair with baking soda and dawn GRRR ... damage damage damage ! I will be looking to spend the next week trying to wash it out...UGH ... Somehow I knew it would not work... but I got desperate I will be using only Davines 7 ash from now on.. or a green additive I am longing for my smoky ash grey dark blonde... :...(

Popular Hair Products