Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Antioxidant Concentrate

Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Antioxidant Concentrate
No Title

3.6

Not tested on animals

Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone slip agent), Isododecane (matte finish solvent), Cyclohexasiloxane (silicone slip agent), Dimethicone Crosspolymer (silicone suspending agent), Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate (non-aqueous thickener), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A/antioxidant), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (thickener), Retinol 0,03 (antioxidant/cell-communicating ingredient), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Haematococcus Pluvialis (Astaxanthin) Extract (antioxidant pigment), Bisabolol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidants/anti-irritants), Salix Alba (Willow) Leaf Extract (anti-irritant), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Ginkgo Biloba (Ginkgo) Leaf Extract, Calluna Vulgaris (Heather) Flower Extract, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Fruit Extract, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Betula Alba (White Birch) Bark Extract (antioxidants), Silica (absorbent), Phenoxyethanol (preservative)

on 6/18/2017 10:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

For me, this has been one of those skincare items that just kind of slipped into my skincare routine (bought on a whim during a PC sale). I hadn't spent much time thinking about how it was working since incorporating it into my routine...lazy, I know. But I recently traveled for about 5 days and managed to leave this at home. I noticed then!

My makeup application is much smoother with this on (my order: exfoliant --> this --> moisturizer/sunscreen --> makeup), and it seems to help my makeup stick around in Florida's humidity. That must be the silicone.

I also noticed that my skin seemed less calm without this in my routine during travel. Sure, part of this could be attributed to travel itself, but we were only a few hours from home, and it was a pretty low-stress trip.

The biggest perk for me, though, is that my skin's redness has really improved. I used Accutane when a hormonal acne flare-up brought on by birth control didn't respond to anything else, even after removing the birth control. The Accutane obviously knocked out the break-outs, but I was left with a nose, cheeks, and chin that looked perceptually wind-burned. So pink, all the time. I took photos before starting this, and the comparison now is pretty astounding: only slight pinkness remains, and that can be covered up with just pressed powder. Before, I had to use a full coverage foundation and people would ask if I was okay when they saw me without makeup on the first time.

So I'm currently in a state of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" with this one. My skin's needs aren't the same as when I started this bottle, but I'll probably order another bottle to see how far the benefits can go. One bottle has lasted me 7 months so far, and I'm not finished, so it's a good buy, too.

This is a good serum, if you use it every night. During the day it doesn't do too much, and it has retinol and it is not a good idea to use retinol serums during the day even with tones of sunscreen. BUT lets be honest, it feels so cheap, and it has too much colagen, and due that it contains retinol I expected better results with my fine lines, and it defintly don't reaffirm your skin. I can say it is great to improve your skin tone, and it absorbs very quickly. But for the price is a good antiaging serum.

on 9/23/2016 11:32:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I have oily acne prone skin. Got this with the advanced skin balancing line. I love this serum. I only use this in the am as I use a different serum at night. I agree with other posters that this feels similar to a dry oil. I feels weird at first on ur fingers but feels nice on my face. Vey light and absorbs fast into skin. Leaves your skin looking smooth. It works well under my makeup (powder foundation). Started out using this a few times a week (to make sure I wasn't sensitive to retinol) and now I use it every day. I have been using this for about 3 months now and my skin feels and looks so much smoother. Will repurchase!

on 4/2/2016 11:23:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Pros

Inoffensive Scent
Lightweight
Soaks In Quickly

Cons

Difficult To Use
Greasy
Leaves Shine

Best Uses
Nighttime Use

This serum reminds me very much of "dry oil" body products I have used in that it has both a dry, and a greasy, slick feel to it. Application was a bit awkward since the serum was separated into liquid and gel parts. On my face, it left a slight slimy film, and lots of shine on my forehead and nose.

On the plus side, it is very light weight, soaks in relatively quickly, and isn't sticky like some serums I have used. The scent is inoffensive, and does not linger once the product is applied.

The serum isn't particularly hydrating, so for combination skin, some moisturizer would need to be applied to drier areas.

I used the serum from two sample sachets, so I can't comment on the long term benefits. Based on this experience, I will probably not buy the full size product. However, if I were to use this product full time, I would choose to only wear it at night because of how shiny it made my skin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I started using this after two weeks into the PC's BHA gel. Using it every morning and night religiously now, because this stuff is bomb! Together with the BHA gel, this makes my dark spots after my breakouts go away so much faster. Usually I am stuck with these spots for at least 2 months. And now, almost 1 month later after my last breakout there is almost nothing left of the dark spot there once was. I am so impressed with this stuff. The combo of the BHA and this serum makes sure I produce less oil too. My makes stays longer and looks better. It is also a great make-up primer! It is so smooth and so easy to work into the skin. My skin loves this serum.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Not an impressive product, nor a bad product. It doesn't irritate my skin, but also doesn't improve my skin. Won't buy this product again.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I had no good results with this product at all. My skin looks much worse not better. I have oily skin and it definitely did not help in anyway. My skin broke out with cystic blemishes deep under the skin. I finally cleared my skin up and now it is worse off then before. Not happy. As for anti-aging I have seen absolutely no benefits using this product.
Packaging wise it is ok but most times it would be seperated in the tube which does not seem like a good quality product to me. I would have to squeeze and shake it up to make sure that a runny liquid was not sitting on top.
This product felt like a more liquidy version monistat chafing gel on the skin. Actually I think that it has the same moisturizing quality as well. I do like that it is lightweight and silky to apply but on my oily skin I found that ANY silicone type product like this including primers are a big NO NO and reck havoc on my skin.
I think if you have normal skin and like silicone type products than this would be best for you.

on 8/6/2014 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a great serum! I previously used the Paula's Choice Super Light Anti-Oxidant Serum, which was good too. I like that this one has retinol in it though. You do need to shake the tube each time. I use it all over my face and around my eyes twice a day. It's made a huge difference in the appearance of my skin!

on 7/7/2014 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

In general, I find this to be a good product. You have to vigorously shake this before every use because the ingredients separate, but I don't find that to be an issue. The price was very reasonable, esp when compared to other retinol serums. I don't have a problem with the texture being greasy on my oily skin, although the silicone is noticeable when first applied. This doesn't make me oily or break me out, either, which would be a deal breaker. I can't detect any scent and the packaging is appropriate.
On the other hand, I haven't noticed this making a big difference in my skin. I only use it at night - just a few drops combined with PC Skin Balancing Gel Moisturizer on my fingers, and I smooth it all over my face. The ingredients sound good, and I haven't been using this very long (a couple of weeks) so I'm not terribly concerned at this point. I use such a small amount that this tube should last me a loooong time. I'm hoping that this serum is more of a protective step in fighting against aging and sun damage. For the price, it's a very good value and hopefully one I will be glad I started.
I did try applying this alone once and I finally understood the complaints about the greasy texture. If you mix this product with your moisturizer, as I do, you won't be left with that greasy feeling that dries sort of tacky.
Update 3/8/15 - This product is ok, but I've found that Alpha Hydrox Retinol Night Res Q is just as effective yet costs about $15 less for the same amount of product. Also, it doesn't need to be vigorously shaken before each use.

on 6/17/2014 9:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I HAD THE SAMPLE
Mine clumped but that was not a problem to me it only happened in the package. It had a very dry silicone finish but once applied it felt more oily than I expected. This is more suitable than the red package for oily skin because it has a lighter buttery texture. There is nothing wrong with the red one- its great just it would benefit someone with dry skin more I think. This has the same amount of retinol as the red package and this version lists it again later down unlike the red one wich only has retinol. Retinol wise this serum and the red one have the most retinol in all of her retinol claimed moisturizers ( except in the 'Clinical' line.) This one offers retinyl palmitate though the one with the most reaearch and most compared to the prescription version with added retinol.The three serums offered though narrow down skin types the most to give each skin type what they need while feeling the best on ones skin.
I hope I helped!