Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Antioxidant Concentrate

Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Antioxidant Concentrate

3.6

Not tested on animals

Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone slip agent), Isododecane (matte finish solvent), Cyclohexasiloxane (silicone slip agent), Dimethicone Crosspolymer (silicone suspending agent), Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate (non-aqueous thickener), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A/antioxidant), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (thickener), Retinol 0,03 (antioxidant/cell-communicating ingredient), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Haematococcus Pluvialis (Astaxanthin) Extract (antioxidant pigment), Bisabolol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract (antioxidants/anti-irritants), Salix Alba (Willow) Leaf Extract (anti-irritant), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Ginkgo Biloba (Ginkgo) Leaf Extract, Calluna Vulgaris (Heather) Flower Extract, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Fruit Extract, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Betula Alba (White Birch) Bark Extract (antioxidants), Silica (absorbent), Phenoxyethanol (preservative)

on 4/2/2016 11:23:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Pros

Inoffensive Scent
Lightweight
Soaks In Quickly

Cons

Difficult To Use
Greasy
Leaves Shine

Best Uses
Nighttime Use

This serum reminds me very much of "dry oil" body products I have used in that it has both a dry, and a greasy, slick feel to it. Application was a bit awkward since the serum was separated into liquid and gel parts. On my face, it left a slight slimy film, and lots of shine on my forehead and nose.

On the plus side, it is very light weight, soaks in relatively quickly, and isn't sticky like some serums I have used. The scent is inoffensive, and does not linger once the product is applied.

The serum isn't particularly hydrating, so for combination skin, some moisturizer would need to be applied to drier areas.

I used the serum from two sample sachets, so I can't comment on the long term benefits. Based on this experience, I will probably not buy the full size product. However, if I were to use this product full time, I would choose to only wear it at night because of how shiny it made my skin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I started using this after two weeks into the PC's BHA gel. Using it every morning and night religiously now, because this stuff is bomb! Together with the BHA gel, this makes my dark spots after my breakouts go away so much faster. Usually I am stuck with these spots for at least 2 months. And now, almost 1 month later after my last breakout there is almost nothing left of the dark spot there once was. I am so impressed with this stuff. The combo of the BHA and this serum makes sure I produce less oil too. My makes stays longer and looks better. It is also a great make-up primer! It is so smooth and so easy to work into the skin. My skin loves this serum.

To Read all 83 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Not an impressive product, nor a bad product. It doesn't irritate my skin, but also doesn't improve my skin. Won't buy this product again.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I had no good results with this product at all. My skin looks much worse not better. I have oily skin and it definitely did not help in anyway. My skin broke out with cystic blemishes deep under the skin. I finally cleared my skin up and now it is worse off then before. Not happy. As for anti-aging I have seen absolutely no benefits using this product.
Packaging wise it is ok but most times it would be seperated in the tube which does not seem like a good quality product to me. I would have to squeeze and shake it up to make sure that a runny liquid was not sitting on top.
This product felt like a more liquidy version monistat chafing gel on the skin. Actually I think that it has the same moisturizing quality as well. I do like that it is lightweight and silky to apply but on my oily skin I found that ANY silicone type product like this including primers are a big NO NO and reck havoc on my skin.
I think if you have normal skin and like silicone type products than this would be best for you.

on 8/6/2014 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is a great serum! I previously used the Paula's Choice Super Light Anti-Oxidant Serum, which was good too. I like that this one has retinol in it though. You do need to shake the tube each time. I use it all over my face and around my eyes twice a day. It's made a huge difference in the appearance of my skin!

on 7/7/2014 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

In general, I find this to be a good product. You have to vigorously shake this before every use because the ingredients separate, but I don't find that to be an issue. The price was very reasonable, esp when compared to other retinol serums. I don't have a problem with the texture being greasy on my oily skin, although the silicone is noticeable when first applied. This doesn't make me oily or break me out, either, which would be a deal breaker. I can't detect any scent and the packaging is appropriate.
On the other hand, I haven't noticed this making a big difference in my skin. I only use it at night - just a few drops combined with PC Skin Balancing Gel Moisturizer on my fingers, and I smooth it all over my face. The ingredients sound good, and I haven't been using this very long (a couple of weeks) so I'm not terribly concerned at this point. I use such a small amount that this tube should last me a loooong time. I'm hoping that this serum is more of a protective step in fighting against aging and sun damage. For the price, it's a very good value and hopefully one I will be glad I started.
I did try applying this alone once and I finally understood the complaints about the greasy texture. If you mix this product with your moisturizer, as I do, you won't be left with that greasy feeling that dries sort of tacky.
Update 3/8/15 - This product is ok, but I've found that Alpha Hydrox Retinol Night Res Q is just as effective yet costs about $15 less for the same amount of product. Also, it doesn't need to be vigorously shaken before each use.

on 6/17/2014 9:59:00 PM

I HAD THE SAMPLE
Mine clumped but that was not a problem to me it only happened in the package. It had a very dry silicone finish but once applied it felt more oily than I expected. This is more suitable than the red package for oily skin because it has a lighter buttery texture. There is nothing wrong with the red one- its great just it would benefit someone with dry skin more I think. This has the same amount of retinol as the red package and this version lists it again later down unlike the red one wich only has retinol. Retinol wise this serum and the red one have the most retinol in all of her retinol claimed moisturizers ( except in the 'Clinical' line.) This one offers retinyl palmitate though the one with the most reaearch and most compared to the prescription version with added retinol.The three serums offered though narrow down skin types the most to give each skin type what they need while feeling the best on ones skin.
I hope I helped!

on 6/15/2014 2:18:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium

I've used up a whole tube of it but I was using it at the same time as the Resist Ultra-Light Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum (Resist for the night and Skin Balancing for the day) as well as the Clear Skin Hydrator and BHA so I can't say how much of a difference it has made. But it did not break me out and overall my skin seems to have improved. It absorbs easily but you have to make SURE you SHAKE it well or it comes out as messy liquid! Pricey but you need just a few drops and hopefully the ingredients make a difference. I like the fact that PC does not test on animals.

on 2/15/2014 6:30:00 AM

Oh ick. I'm usually a fan of PC products but I cannot like this greasy siliconey mess. Great ingredients so if the texture suits you go right ahead - though I can't imagine that anyone with oily skin could stand this on their skin. I tolerated it until it was finished by using it only at night with a tiny amount added to my moisturiser. Even so my skin was greasier than normal in the morning. There was no way I could use this during the day. I now use the PC ultra light serum and am a total fan.

on 11/3/2013 4:16:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I love this product so much. I have no consistency problems because I shake the tube very well - I shake it until I can't hear liquid sloshing anymore every time before dispensing. I alternate between this and PC's Ultra-Light Antioxidant Serum, which is also wonderful but does not have retinol (so I can use it when using products that don't play well with retinol). I prefer this and the Ultra-Light AO serums over the Super AO serum and Skin Recovery AO with retinol serum because those both feel too thick for my preference, even though I have dry skin.