Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55
Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 55

3.2

Active Ingredients: Avobenzone (3%), Homosalate (10%), Octisalate (5%), Octocrylene (2.8%), Oxybenzone (6%) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Silica, Diethylhexyl 2,6 Naphthalate, VP/Hexadecene Copolymer, Dimethicone, Ethylhexylglycerin, Caprylyl Methicone, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexyl Stearate, BHT, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Trideceth 6, Behenyl Alcohol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Sodium Polyacrylate, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben, Fragrance, ppd 9

on 5/19/2017 7:46:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I kept buying this for a few years when I first realized I needed sun protection, not sun tan lotion. I am NC 30-35, combination skin, tending towards dry, prone to milia and hives. This stung the skin; caused break outs (I generally don't break out too much), bumpiness, and shine. It was NOT matte. It was not cosmetically elegant. And, if you have the misfortune to sweat, it burns the eyes. One summer, i tried to pass it off to my very pale husband who has great skin and who is bald; he avoided it and started to wear a lot of hats. (We are not beach people and he does wear long sleeves, so he can get away with this somewhat).

I transitioned into Ombrelle (white cast, thick texture), Paula's choice spf 30 (too expensive and somewhat unimpressive); then Roche posay (tinted for face) and the other one in the big tube for body (the latter of which has to be rubbed in well) ; then the orange tube of Kiss My face with hydrophasia (no idea what that is, but recently the tubes have gotten much smaller and the price has gone up a bit); and Biore aqua (inconvenient because you have to order it on Amazon and shipping takes a while). All of these have been better than the Neutragena. will try out a few suggestions below.

on 5/19/2017 11:01:00 AM

SENSITIVE SKIN PLZ DO NOT TRY!

I don't have a sensitive skin but this crap burn me out so bad lol. I could totally feel the burning the second i put it on my face and i don't know what the heck was happening. Tried it several times and yep still burn!

2nd problem, it is WHITE. W-H-I-T to the E. This is a very chemical sunscreen rather than physical so leaving white cast is not a wanted effect.

3rd problem: very chemical smell, and the smell barely goes away.

4th problem: Are the scientists behind this blind or am i blind, why they put "lightweight" and "dry-touch" on the packaging when it feels super thick and wet and sticky and shiny on skin?? I can feel it clog my pore as whenever i sweat i can see sweat rolling on my face like rolling on a nylon film LOL , and yes I sweat all the time after putting this on, like literally this blocks out not only sun but also AIR. It doesn't let my skin breathe :p

I know everyone has personal opinion and I feel bad for this negative review, but honestly, I won't recommend it to anyone. I have ace-prone skin and i don't want to give it more burden by wearing this sunscreen all day long.
There are way more better products out there that give you a good protection layer, shine the least without irritating your skin. Try Bioderma Photoderm MAX Aquafluide SPF 50+, Avene Mineral Ultra-Light Hydrating Sunscreen Lotion 50+, Elta MD UV Clear SPF 46 (fewwhh long names!), those r good options for combi-oily + sensitive skin, maybe not the most budget-friendly sunscreens but all r very lightweight, absorb quickly and give you comfortable feeling with necessary ingredients for an optimal protection. I will pay extra money if what i get is a satisfying product.

Please redo a serious research on your product, Neutrogena!

on 11/15/2016 5:57:00 AM

why does it call dry touch?
i used it and become sweating and shining all over my face...
i wouldn't recommend it for oily or combination skin.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This product is absolute crap. Today was the 2nd time I used it because I had forgotten my favorite sunscreen at home. I kept this sunscreen around just in case I ever needed it in a pinch, but let me tell you it's not even worth it to keep it around for that.

It's hard to rub in so you have to use a lot. I use sunscreen daily so I would go through this tube quickly I'm sure. The worst part of it for me is how sticky it is and that it NEVER blends in. It's very white (and I'm already pale) and you can see where I rubbed it in. Not to mention it gets over everything and stains everything.

Just awful. It's probably an effective spf but it's not worth it. You can find better sunscreens that are cosmetically elegant and effective. My top 2 favorites for my body are Hawaiian Tropic island sport spf 30 and Banana Boat ultra defense spf 30. Both light and effective. I even like Neutrogena cool face sunscreen. But SKIP THIS SUNSCREEN.

on 11/3/2015 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Pros
- stays in place
- is, indeed, dry to the touch

Cons
- white cast on my NC44 skin
- can pill off
- burns eyes

on 1/16/2015 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

This is a thick, occlusive, waterproof, photo-stable, broad-spectrum sunscreen. I don't burn, tan, or freckle when I use this. However, unlike its claims, it does NOT dry matte on my skin, even if I powder over it, and it feels so gunky that I've never even bothered putting BB cream or foundation over it, which I kind of wanted to given the white cast it gives my face. It also stings my skin upon application and leaves little red bumps along my hairline and chin. I wasn't sure if they were acne (I literally have not had acne in about 15 years) or some other type of sensitivity. Given that the bumps greatly reduced overnight without me doing anything other than ditching this sunscreen, I'm going with an allergy or other skin condition triggered by this product. I don't know if it's the chemical sunscreen ingredients or the uncalled-for, unnecessary fragrance, but this is just not a product for people with sensitive skin.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

For the face - I have dehydrated-normal skin and I found this sunscreen too drying for me as it would emphasize my fine lines. It does leave a white cast on my medium skin which I don't find obvious but it is worth noting. I don't sweat very much, but if even the tiniest bit got into my eyes it would sting quite a bit. I don't think it was breaking me out, but once I stopped using it I did get less acne but I had also changed some other things in my routine so I can't say for sure.

For the body - This is a decent enough body sunscreen, but again I did find it somewhat drying.

I can see this working well on normal-to-oily skin types, but I personally won't be repurchasing.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

its not oily feels great on skin and all but it broke me out ._.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Five years or so ago, maybe longer, I used to be obsessed with the Neutrogena Sheer Dry Touch in SPF 30. So I recently started using the SPF 55 thinking it was similar and... It's not. Either they changed the formulation of all of their dry touch sunscreens, or the higher SPF versions are particularly awful.

This one smells super strong. Not a pleasant scent, but a scent of horrible chemicals. It's so strong that I get wafts of it throughout the day and it bothers me. It also isn't lightweight. It's definitely not the heaviest sunscreen I have used by any stretch, but it feels greasy and filmy enough that I wouldn't want to use it for an every day purpose. And finally, other reviewers are right when they say it BURNS! My skin IS extra sensitive at times because I use Retin-A, but I have a feeling this stuff would irritate most skin.

I am a soon to be physician assistant and we are currently learning dermatology. We have learned that you really don't get TOO much additional SPF protection after 30, so I can imagine that simply using the SPF 30 in this brand would be good. Also, with all my knowledge about different sunscreens, I do have to say that this sunscreen is one of the best in terms of its broad spectrum protection and its stability. I guess you can't have it all!

on 5/23/2014 11:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Pro's
* Clear finish
* minimal eye stinging
* didn't burn or tan much while wearing

Con's
* Clogged all of the pores on my forehead and broke me out with red blemishes along my chin, jawline and cheeks within a week
* stung my cheeks badly if applied to wet or freshly showered skin
* Fragranced
* Expensive for the small amount

Summary: for those who aren't irritated by this sunscreen, it could offer good broad spectrum protection. However, it broke me out badly and clogged all of my pores within a few days.