New York Color Ultra Moist Lipwear - Violet Shine

4.3

Price: $

Price: $

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is a fantastic lipstick and I finally bought it (I owned a lot of NYC already) based on reviews here (thanks all!)

This is a semi-sheer lipstick that reminds me of Essence's sheer and shine series. I was afraid this might be violet or lavender (bad on me - fair yellow/olive), but it's a dusty rose/mauve, very lovely. I had also been concerned this might be frosty/silvery but it isn't. It's just pretty and shiny and looks very nice on.

Like most sheer style lipsticks, this doesn't last for too long, but it's easy to reapply and you don't need precision.

Packaging is typical NYC - just get a lipstick holder ;).

$2.77 CAD at Walmart! If plummy/rosey tones are good for you - go get this one!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This is a beautifully sheer, dusty rose pink that you can't beat for the price. It's got a wonderful finish without being sparkly, unlike most of the other lipsticks in this price range.

I'm not that crazy about some of New York Color's products, but I've found that when they have a great product, it's off the charts fantastic. I feel the same way about their eyebrow pencil in Sable. That's great for brunettes who don't have any red in their hair.

Also, the name Violet Shine is very misleading. And that's exactly the reason why I put off buying this product for so long. I always thought the color was pretty, but was afraid that it would look totally different once applied to my lips.

I'm glad to see that I was wrong. :) It's a great color, and you can't find a better balm-style lipstick for such a low price.

on 2/28/2015 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Applies evenly and smoothly. Moisturizing. Not super pigmented, but still a beautiful dusty rose shade. Not shimmery or too shiny. Great when you want a subtle lip. It isn't exceptionally packaged, but for the price, you can't nitpick about that!

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Due to budgetary constraints I have had to turn to more drugstore makeup over higher end. This is another puppies that was a great find. I don't see it as being violet as the name implies but a nice sheer warm pink. Great for a subtle lip look. I will keep this in my stash.

on 11/1/2013 6:42:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I passed by the N.Y.C. rack and decided to pick up Violet Shine because it looked pretty in the tube.
And I'm glad I did!

Regardless of the name, this shade applies as a rose pink on my asian skin tone.
The shimmer is very fine, not chunky or glittery at all. The texture is smooth and applies evenly.
The coverage is very sheer. It applies as a light wash of color and makes for a pretty, casual natural lip. But a warning for ladies with pigmented lips, this may not show up well because of how sheer it is.
What impressed me the most is how light it is! It feels like I'm wearing nothing at all!

Staying power is a little less average. It lasted through a two hour lecture. My average wear
for lipsticks is 4-5 hours before it fades.
Then again, this is not marketed to be a long lasting lipstick, so all is fair.

As with all budget brand lines, packaging is very fragile. If you want bring this around, make sure to place it in a secure pocket or pouch so it won't roll around and make a mess!
However, packaging does not stop me from liking a great lipstick.This lipstick is a great steal to me!

on 4/29/2013 10:44:00 AM

I bought this product while I was browsing through the cosmetics aisle at a Kmart a week ago. I'm not really into lipsticks, but when I saw how cheap these NYC lipsticks are, I decided to give it a shot. I chose the color Violet Shine randomly, but I really like it! The color isn't as pigmented, which has already been mentioned by other reviewers, but I really like how the pinkish/purple color brightens up my boring plain lips. And it's great for everyday color, that's for sure. I like the simple subtle color and shine, and I love how it's not glittery! I HATE glittery-type lip wear. It's also not sticky at all, which I've found other lipsticks to be. My only complaint about this product is that I feel like it has weak staying-power! I feel like it starts to fade fairly quickly, so I have to re-apply more often than I'd like, but overall I still really like this product and would buy it again! I'm curious to try other colors.....

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I am loving this very pretty lippie right now!

Violet Shine is a strange name for a lippie of this color. You cannot use the label on the tube to judge the color as the label is a deep, dark plumy color which makes you think the color of the lippie is going to be dark and plumy...not true!

This lippie is a pretty, sheer, light rosy pink color. It's shiny with some sheen, not sparkle. I'm very fair, cool, MAC NW 15-20 and this color goes especially well with my coloring. The only problem with it (and with ALL NYC lippies) is that is tends to be somewhat drying. Applying a lip balm is necessary and takes care of the drying quality of this lippie.

This was 99 cents at CVS and this was the only color left. It was covered in some horrid tape that I had to use a box cutter to cut through. I'm not sure if the store put that tape on it or the manufacturer did but please NYC, find another way to seal your products. I was ready to toss this into the trash before I was finally able to get it open.

Its a nice pink color for a cute every day look without just being a plain nude color. It's not super pigmented but I didn't really expect it to be. Fantastic for the price :D

I bought this product after trying two other lipsticks from N.Y.C. that I actually really enjoyed. Violet Shine has some shimmer in it, but not the overly silvery type of shimmer in most inexpensive lipsticks; it actually provides a nice sheen to the lips which I enjoy. The pigmentation is not that great, but for everyday, I prefer that instead. It is a shear lipstick that provides some moisturization, but I do find myself reapplying frequently. My lips do, however, dry, once the formula itself has dried up, so it doesn't provide long lasting moisture as do other lipsticks. The smell is your typical inexpensive "plastic-smelling" (if that makes sense) scent which doesn't bother me. Overall, for $.99, the color is great, violet-pink with a bit of a sheen, and it brightens up my NC40-42 skin up nicely.

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Great dusky pink color. Very nice to use for everyday. It is also pretty moisturizing. And at only $1, the price is fantastic as well.