Darphin Purifying Balm

Filtered by skin type : Dry
Darphin Purifying Balm

3.9

Corylus Americana (Hazel) Seed Oil, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Beeswax, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Hypericum Perforatum Extract, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens Flower Oil, Cananga Odorata Flower Oil, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Copaifera Officinalis (Balsam Copaiba) Resin, Ferula Galbaniflua (Galbanum) Resin Oil, Linalool, Citronellol, Limonene, Geraniol, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Farnesol

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I got a small sample of this and so far it has been amazing. The smell is a little strong, but it doesn't bug me since I actually like the smell! I might actually ditch out the money for the full size product.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I tried this as an alternative to Darphin Intral Baume when it was discontinued. It works almost as well as the intral baume, but it is very expensive and has a harsh smell. I have dry/sensitive skin and it did hydrate my skin pretty well and didn't cause me to break out, but it just wasn't quite as good to me as the old stuff so I'm going to keep looking. The biggest downside to this product is the price. It's $70 for .05 oz jar that doesn't last very long at all. It also smells very strong. My boyfriend doesn't even want to be around me after I put it on because I smell like fingernail polish remover. Overall, it's a pretty good product and I recommend it to someone who can afford it and deal with the smell, unfortunately I can't.

I was intrigued by all the claims of purifying and un-gunking clogged pores, softening skin, plus a cult-like following.

So i bought this balm and gave it the true test: I had a facial, and then applied the balm (with soothing essential oils that tingled nicely) to the red and raw areas of my face, hoping that it would calm and further purify. Typically, after my monthly facial, my pores are shrunken and tiny for several days. Well, imagine my surprise to find my pores immediately enlarged and darkened, filled with sebum. I was really, really disappointed. What purports to purify the skin only clogs it!

The ingredient list is basically oils and beeswax (which obviously acted as a barrier, leading to build-up in my pores). If you use this in the eye area, you will get milia. (*slowly raising hand*)

This balm is best suited for non-acne-prone skin that is dry and chafed, kind of like a barrier balm/diaper balm. It is no good for my dehydrated, yet acne-prone skin.

Inspecting all of the Darphin line, the ingredients of many products are quite mediocre (lots of mineral oil, similar to Sisley), and formulations are out of date. I work in the beauty industry and have heard rumblings at Estee Lauder (who bought Darphin) that they may reformulate some of the products (just like how L'Oreal reformulated many Kiehl's products, which had a cult-like following but were unstable, ineffective, etc).

Don't fall for the hype if you have acne-prone, dry skin. Save your money for something that clinically works.

on 10/25/2008 11:32:00 PM

I use this two times a week and never have any problem with my sometime-acne and any tout feeling again. My skin gets so relax and soft and moistened after leaving it on over a night. I love it.

I like balms in skincare, so I had to try this famous product. & I really like it. For me, it works very similar to decleor's baume essentiel. It purifies/ brightens the complexion overnight gently. It's not that greasy and smells fantastic. It sometimes (not always) helped a underground cyst go away without scarring. & It *never* caused any breakout for me. While I like this product, I am not sure I will buy again 1) because I cannot use it more than 2x/ week (I tried to use more often, then it was too drying). Decleor baume essential works a bit gentler than this one, but I can use it more often & for me decleor smells better 2) because of its outrageous price (2x decleor). FYI: according to the ingredient list, this product does not contain mineral oil/ petrolatum. it's hazelnut oil + beeswax base with essential oils from thyme, tea tree, lavender etc. Update Dec 2006: While I still enjoy using this balm, I am not sure whether it does something amazing (brightening, zits). Personally I prefer decleor baume essentiel.

on 4/17/2006 4:02:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Ok, so this stuff is pricey but it is MAGICAL. I have combo/oily skin that lately has been breaking out horribly in patches. I stopped using my prescription antibacterial clindamycin gel (i didn't seem to be working anymore) and since I have had quite a bit of success in the past using essential oils on my face, I gave this stuff a try. I dot it on my acne at night and iin the morning if it is especially bad and about twice a week I apply the balm over my entire face. You have to break it down with your fingers before applying and the directions suggest you take a second to inhale the scent....okay kinda cheesy but it does have aromatherapuetic properties! My only complaint is that it comes in a small jar and you have to dip your fingers in (the plastic scoop that comes with it is not very useful). This stuff clears up or significantly improves acne depending on what stage it's at overnight. A definite HG.

on 9/8/2005 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is one of my favorite skincare products. It hurts me to spend this much on such a small amount, but it really works! There are plenty of products out there that cost an arm and a leg that don't live up to the marketing hype. I use it when I have something special to do the next day. I have a lot of redness in my face (like rosacea without the pimples), and this reallly seems to calm it and make my pores temporarily smaller. Will be buying again!

on 4/26/2005 3:18:00 PM

I was very suspicious about this product: I've never liked balms and I really didn't understand such a wide purposes of this stuff - "it dissolves impurities, repairs damaged tissues and balances fragile skin types. An incomparable source of oxygen". And it is for ALL skin types (I thought it was only for oily/acne-prone skin /"purifying"/). Don't forget to warm it well between your fingers before you spread it on the face. If you have dry or more mature skin use a bit more, not only the smallest quantity. I use it over Darphin aromatic oil (Rose or Jasmine), once or twice a week. It really purifies and relaxes the skin, making it brighter and healthier looking. It also seems to me that my complexion has better and healthier colour when I use it (oxygenation? - who knows!).

on 3/14/2005 6:23:00 AM

This stuff is fantastic! I get very clogged up skin and this (as well as Eve Lom cleanser) is the best rememdy for it.

I put it on before bed and wake up with smooth, clear skin. It has a very natural smell, unlike a lot of treatments for spots or clogged skin.

Forget about using the Disencrustant Lotion. This on its own does the job.

The only problem is that its in a little jar so you really need a spatula to get it out.

The jar seems tiny for the price but it goes a long way.

I could not live without this.

Boy is this silly! It is pure wax and oil and it seems to work miracles on acne-prone girls. I was blessed with very good skin (I probably get 1 or 2 blemishes a year) and decided to use this to see it if would make it softer, more glowy, etc. I think that this is the only product that has ever broken me out. I could put Crisco on my skin and not get a zit, but this product managed to give me a few very stubborn blemishes. I saw that one review said that it does that at first while drawing impurities out of the skin. I am scared to keep using it though.