Sally Hansen Double Duty Base & Top Coat

Filtered by hair type : Curly

2.9

Butyl Acetate, Ethyl Acetate, Nitrocellulose, Adipic Acid/Neopentyl Glycol Copolymer, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, SD Alcohol 3-A, Isopropyl Alcohol, Water, Etocrylene, Benzophenone-1, Panthenol, Nylon-12, Violet 2.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

This is one of my go-to base coats. I have very weak nails, and I can see a definite difference from using this product. Like any base coat, it doesn't work perfectly with every brand of polish, but I always get at least five days of wear. Many polishes can last weeks.

When it does chip, it frequently happens so that the polish on the entire nail will come off all at once, usually when my nails are submerged in water. This doesn't bother me, personally. I find it more convenient to repaint an entire nail rather than try to repair a chip. Usually, it happens when I am already considering removing the polish anyway.

I do not use it as a top coat. It dries really slowly. Before I started using it only as a base coat, I ruined a lot of manicures thinking it was dry. It's decently shiny when new, but it gets less and less shiny as the product is used up. It also takes longer to completely dry. I generally do not use up an entire bottle before moving on to a new one.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I tried this as a base coat and top coat for the first time today. I applied this, two coats of polish, and then one last coat of this. Three hours later, it's chipping and flaking off. It dries quickly as a base coat, and polish applies well over it. As a top coat, it's terrible! I didn't do anything rough on my hands, and my polish is just chipping off! I'll try something else from a better brand.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This sucks as a top coat because it DOES NOT DRY. I applied a thin coat to my already completely dry nail polish, and let it sit for 3 hours as I watched a movie. Much to my surprise even after 3 hours it was not dry and completely ruined my manicure when I tried washing my face that night.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is an awesome base coat! It does everything a base coat is suppose to do... it prevents your nails from staining, it helps the nail polish adhere to your nails & on top of that it strengthens your nails. This is, once again an awesome base coat! But it SUCKS as a top coat! This is hands down the worst top coat I have ever used. It just doesn't protect your nail polish from chipping AT ALL! My nail polish chipped within a day after putting a coat of this on top of my nail polish! So I just use this product a base coat and base coat only.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Wayyy too thick for a base and top coat. It will not dry. I wake up with my nails "smushed" and "smudged" because even after half a dat they do not dry. Ugh. Way way way too thick. Trust me on this one. And when it finally DOES dry, your nails peel as if they are a sheet of rubber.

I AM THROWING THIS OUT.

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I picked this up awhile ago because I figured I really should start using a base coat to protect my nails since they get stained sometimes (I still don't lol). It's better than nothing and hasn't made anything worse, but it's not better. My nails still get stained and chip within a day or two (I'm rough on my nails), so it pretty much fails at its purpose.

The only reason I gave it a 2 instead of a 1 is because it does add some really nice shine to my nails. I wear a lot of neon colors and I got some really pretty colors when I was in Hawaii last year, but for some reason they come out really dull when on my nails, so adding this on top gives it a nice, shiny finish.

I'll keep using up the bottle to add shine to polishes that need it, but provided I can find another top coat that can actually function as a top coat and provide the same shine, I won't be repurchasing.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I really like the fact that this product does the job both for the base and top coat. I like having combined products which I can use for different purposes. as a top coat it's not extremely shiny but I like this, it's not bothering me. it just does its job, protects my nails from stains, keep the polish in place and that's all that I expected! I also like the fact that the size is pretty generous, it's going to last forever.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I really wanted to like this product, HOWEVER, it failed me as a top coat; which is the main reason I used it for. It did not speed up the drying process at all. If anything, it slowed it down. Also, I felt like it delivered no shine whatsoever, and not enough protection to my nails.
Additionally, as another reviewer pointed out; it 'dragged' my nail polish, giving it a less than savory appearance.
I also tried to use it as a base coat, but found it took very long to dry and chipped quickly. I've decided to look elsewhere for my thick, shiny, top coat.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I really like this product. Dries pretty quick (when applied thinly) adds a nice sheen to my nails (I only use OPI nail colors) and definitely seems to helps slow down the chipping process. Also my nail polish slid off in one fluid motion of a cotton ball in nail polish remover (and I was wearing dark polish on my toes and fingers). I attribute this to the top and base coat. No smudging, no staining, no mess.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

i really like this stuff. it's great because you can use it as a base coat, a top coat or just as clear nail polish, which is what i mainly use it for. i wear it on my toes because it makes them look so pretty and healthy, and it lasts for weeks!