Sally Hansen Double Duty Base & Top Coat

3.6

Butyl Acetate, Ethyl Acetate, Nitrocellulose, Adipic Acid/Neopentyl Glycol Copolymer, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, SD Alcohol 3-A, Isopropyl Alcohol, Water, Etocrylene, Benzophenone-1, Panthenol, Nylon-12, Violet 2.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

For a long time now, I 've been neglecting my nails. (I know...me bad!) It was always too much work to file them, shape them, put on a base coat, wait...polish them...wait...then add a top coat, then more waiting. If that's not enough, then having them chip & peel only one or two days later was not something I looked forward to. Ugh! My nails grow extremely fast...both finger and toes and I was embarrassed to let people see my hands or feet.

One day in Rite-Aid, I saw the Sally Hansen display and decided I HAVE to do something about these ugly claws!! I took my time and finally decided on Sally Hansen 10 Day No Chip Polish, shade #17 (can't remember the name, but it's like a nude color) and Double-Duty Top/Base Coat. I'm so glad I did! I went home, got comfortable and started doing my nails. After, I couldn't believe how wonderful they looked...how much longer and cleaner my hands looked! And the durability? AWESOME!! It's now been SIX DAYS since I did my nails and through dish washing, showering, cleaning and just everyday living, my nails still look like I did them that day! NO CHIPPING, NO PEELING and the color still looks vibrant and shiny! Every other day, I may put another coat of the double-duty and that's it. But, that's all I need to do to keep my nails looking their best.

I'm very HAPPY with Sally Hansen and I advise anyone else who likes to have nice nails with a minimum of upkeep to try it. You won't be sorry! :-)

God Bless America!

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Lovely product, must NEVER be applied on wet nail paint though. Excellent base coat. Good top coat, a tad slow to dry.
At the price, excellent VFM!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium

I've been using this for years and years, and has been my basic "go to" base coat. It dries relatively quickly on bare nails, provides a good base for the polish, and can be worn alone as a clear polish. I never have problems with bubbles (I always make sure my nails are super dry before I apply, though), peeling, etc., and it has never gone goopy on me, although if it did, I think a couple drops of nail polish thinner (not acetone!) would fix it up.

As a top coat... well, it works, but it's not my favourite. It can be slow to dry (face it, this is NOT a "quick dry" product!), especially over multiple coats. It does dry nice and shiny, though, and it's pretty scuff-resistant, plus it does a good job protecting the manicure. I don't normally use it as a top coat, though (I prefer one that's quicker to dry, frankly), but it is brilliant for sticking on rhinestones and other jewels or small embellishments.

Occasionally, if I have a manicure where I want a very thick, very glossy top coat (such as certain kinds of nail art, where the surface is uneven after painting and needs a good deal of clear coat to level it, or with some kinds of glitter that can be gritty), I'll use this on top, let it cure for a couple of mintues, and then use a quick-dry top coat over the whole shebang, to get the quick-dry effect AND the thicker gloss. Works a treat.

Yes, I'm sure I will buy this again. I've bought it many times in the past, and I expect to keep buying it. It's a staple of my polish wardrobe.

After years of disappointing products that promise long lasting results and don't deliver, here is one you can believe in. Two weeks of long lasting shiny wear! Fast drying too. I ran and bought another bottle. I never want to run out.. I used it over two coats of Sally's Right Said Red. I use my hands all the time and wash dishes,clean etc. It really is a great product.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Trying out a base coat/top coat for the first time. I wanted something to protect my nails and help protect the polish also. I was surprised at how long this took to dry. With two thin coats of polish and using this as a base and top coat, I took 2+ hours out of my day waiting for this to dry. Then, later in the day, my nails were still soft and one smudged. When I went to bed 14 hours after application, I ended up with sheet marks. My polish looks MUCH worse than last week, when I applied two coats of the polish with no top or base coat. It's bubbled everywhere too. This product doesn't do what it's supposed to do, dries incredibly slowly, and actually makes my nails look worse!

This review is long overdue since I've gone through two bottles of this already. I have always used it as a base coat and I would use an OPI, Essie or Seche Vite top coat aka "The good stuff"

Two months ago, I started using this as a top coat as well and every single polish I've used, whether it is OPI or Sally Hansen lasts a week before it starts minimally chipping. This is something that has never happened before. The ultimate test was my beloved OPI Affair in Red Square. I adore the color but it would always chip within a day or two but I managed to wear it for a week with this base/top coat.

If you have trouble with chipping or peeling nail polish, then you should definetly give this a try. It gives nails a good shine and it's dirt cheap!

I appear to be in the minority but I hated it as a base coat. Even after letting it completely dry, my nail polish didn't go on very smoothly. It was streaky and if I ran the brush over the same spot twice, it would pull the first layer of nail polish in a clump. It did the same thing as a top coat --- again, even after waiting for my nails to completely dry.

The only saving grace is that the top coat seems pretty sturdy and helps prevent chips. (I have short nails so chipping isn't as much of an issue anyway.)

As everyone has said, this is a great base coat, but a not-so-great top coat - I won't elaborate on this, because previous reviews have discussed that.

In addition to that, this product turns goopy and thick after a while. I bought my bottle 3 months ago and used it at least twice a week. Recently, it has turned sticky and goopy, and this was not the initial texture when I first bought it.

It couldn't be due to neglect, cos I use it frequently. When I told my friends about this, they all agreed that they had the same problem with the same product. So the conclusion is that this product only lasts for approx 3 months. At my level of usage, there's still half a bottle left, and it's a real waste, so I took lippies off for that.

My nails have definitely gotten stronger since I started using this. They're pretty long now and I haven't broken a single nail in over a month.

I received this as a freebie from Sally Hansen after writing to them about returning another Sally Hansen polish that I didn't like the formula of.

Sally Hansen (Coty) were very gracious and when I returned the polish I was unhappy with they sent me a replacement polish, this basecoat and the Instadri Topcoat along with some pointers on how to make my manicure's last longer.

I love this stuff. I have only been using it as a basecoat. I put it on, I leave it to dry for a few minutes and then I do my colour layers. Its been doing the job and doing it well. My nails haven't suffered from a lot of staining and even when I did use one of my polishes that I know stains badly it stopped the colour from sinking through.

With this product I am happy with the life of my manicures and I'm happy with its performance as a basecoat.

It did start to thicken once I got halfway through the bottle but a few drops of the OPI Polish Thinner in the bottle after every use is keeping the consistency as good as the day I received it.

I would definitely repurchase and recommend that people give this basecoat a try.

Popular Top/Base Coats