Sally Hansen Double Duty Base & Top Coat

3.6

Butyl Acetate, Ethyl Acetate, Nitrocellulose, Adipic Acid/Neopentyl Glycol Copolymer, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, SD Alcohol 3-A, Isopropyl Alcohol, Water, Etocrylene, Benzophenone-1, Panthenol, Nylon-12, Violet 2.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This product is TERRIBLE!! Sure they are pretty and shiny for maybe the first and second day but the good ends there. I've had the product for quite some time now, and used about half the bottle. The product is now thick and sticky, its so hard to apply. I might as well throw it away! Nails don't last long, with chipping sometimes happening the very next day. Disappointing Sally Hansen, get your sh*t together!

I prefer this to Sally Hansen's Insta-Dri Top Coat, and this is why ...

I use Double Duty as base coat once, and as a top coat over my nail varnish twice, letting it dry for a good ten minutes in between. Yes, it's a lengthy process compared to the Insta-Dri - but I've noticed when I use Double Duty this way, the results are always great.

My nails feel stronger, my nail varnish doesn't chip for over a good week, and the varnish doesn't bubble over on the nail (like the Insta-Dri).

So far, DD hasn't thickened / congealed like the Insta-Dri, which is good.

Would definitely buy again

To Read all 183 Reviews, Login or Join

I received this as a freebie from Sally Hansen after writing to them about returning another Sally Hansen polish that I didn't like the formula of.

Sally Hansen (Coty) were very gracious and when I returned the polish I was unhappy with they sent me a replacement polish, this basecoat and the Instadri Topcoat along with some pointers on how to make my manicure's last longer.

I love this stuff. I have only been using it as a basecoat. I put it on, I leave it to dry for a few minutes and then I do my colour layers. Its been doing the job and doing it well. My nails haven't suffered from a lot of staining and even when I did use one of my polishes that I know stains badly it stopped the colour from sinking through.

With this product I am happy with the life of my manicures and I'm happy with its performance as a basecoat.

It did start to thicken once I got halfway through the bottle but a few drops of the OPI Polish Thinner in the bottle after every use is keeping the consistency as good as the day I received it.

I would definitely repurchase and recommend that people give this basecoat a try.

This is better used as a clear coat to make nails shiny and keep them protected. It does not serve well as either a base coat or top coat unless in a pinch as I find my manicures chip way too quickly with this. Price is ok for a double duty base/top coat but I won't likely repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I like this as a cheap alternative to OPI... It does it's job. Probably a bit better as a base coat but it does make your nails super shiny and chip free for a good while! It takes longer to dry over nail polish versus a natural, no polish no obviously. I would highly recommend. This Double Duty Base/Top Coat has lasted me quite some time. The brush is great. Must have.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I just bought this top coat last night at Walmart, not sure how much it was but I applied it and in just a few mins it's dry!.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

One of the worst topcoat i have ever tried! After 2 hours it still soft and not completly dry! I payed it 8€.. But this isn't an excuse for its terrible work! Bad bad

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Overall I really like this product as an alternative to the OPI Base/Top coat which Ive been using for years.

I like the shape of the bottle - its much easier to handle than a big round bottle. Also, I like how long & slender the brush is. It goes into the bottle without dripping down the sides & because its so long, the brush loads plenty of product so you dont have to keep dunking.

As a base coat it works very well & dries fast. Whether using dark reds or pale colours, it protects the nail from colour transfer which is what its meant to do.
As a top coat - I find it takes a little longer to dry than the OPI however its super shiny and keeps your nails protected & chip free for days.

Highly recommend.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have used this as a base coat and top coat with a variety of nail polishes from OPI, SinfulColors and WnW Meglast polishes.

This base coat did a decent job in protecting my nails from staining. My nails also felt stronger after several weeks of using this (through 4-5 diff manis). As a top coat, this product isn't great. While it gave my manis a glossy finish, I noticed that my the color polish took longer to dry and was not much more chip-resistant compared to not using a topcoat.

The consistency if this base coat started getting thickening after 5 weeks of opening the bottle. I used a drop of OPI nail lacquer which seems to have brought it back to life... For now.

I love this as a base and top coat. I've tried many top coats, including Seche Vite, and my nails always chip within a day. I've now had 4 days without chips with this product and still going strong. It doesn't look as smooth and shiny as a top coat like Seche Vite, but the long wear is far more worth it to me.