4.1

Tazorac Cream Ingredients ---------------------------------- tazarotene 0.05% or 0.1% (w/w). The inactive ingredients are benzyl alcohol, carbomer 934P, carbomer 1342, edetate disodium, medium chain triglycerides, mineral oil, purified water, sodium hydroxide, sodium thiosulfate, and sorbitan monooleate. Tazorac Gel Ingredients ------------------------------ tazarotene 0.05% or 0.1% (w/w). Nonmedicinal ingredients: ascorbic acid, benzyl alcohol, butylated hydroxyanisole, butylated hydroxytoluene, carbomer 934P, edetate disodium, hexylene glycol, poloxamer 407, polyethylene glycol, polysorbate 40, purified water and tromethamine.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Since I was 13 I've had cystic acne. I get both hormonal cysts on my jawline and a different type of acne on my cheeks. I've tried numerous topical creams in my teenage years and oral antibiotics and birth control to no avail. When I reached my early 20's I was just very good at concealing my blemishes with makeup. However I heard about this wonderful drug called accutane. I demanded I get it. Six months later I had experienced nearly all the side effects that were possible. I was miserable, but my skin had cleared up and there were no blemishes. A year later they came back but not nearly as bad. About 5 years later I broke out extremely badly. It was the worst breakout I had ever experienced. There were deep painful cysts and a gross collection of something on my cheeks. My dermatologist was wonderful and loaded me up with a collection of samples of tretinoin creams building up in strength. He gave me strict instructions to start with the weakest and use for two weeks before moving to the next strongest. My final prescription was to be the tazorac cream at .1%. It took a couple months but I had clear skin once more. I used it for several years until I couldn't afford to buy another tube. A few years later my insurance changed and the other tretinoin creams weren't working, so I am back on it and it's starting to work it's magic once more.

My advice, if you have any broken skin on your face get the cream, not the gel. The gel will burn like crazy. Ask your doctor if you can work your way up to that strength using weaker medications for a few weeks at a time. If not use it less frequently and build your way up. Don't use a harsh cleanser, think gentle, the tazorac is going to be doing most of the work for you so all you want to do is get the grim off your face, not strip the oils from it. If you get flaky skin get an exfoliant and moisturize like crazy. Consider getting a humidifier for your room too, it helps. And don't give up on it right away. Most of these creams take weeks to months to see a difference, your skin may even get worse for 4-8 weeks before you see an improvement. Once things calm down your skin will tolerate it better, the flakes will go away and it'll be amazing.

Pros:
Works great
Anti-Aging qualities

Cons:
Price can be high
Sensitivity to sunlight
Takes a long time before good results are seen
Some temporary side effects

on 9/29/2016 8:13:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've had a long, contentious history with Taz. It went from giving me skin that looked like glass to giving me skin that looked like an inflamed orange peel to giving me red face to giving me the ability to finally clear some problem pores (albeit with a red face again).

In the end, my verdict is that Taz can work well for you if you find the right formulation and frequency and buffer.

For me, that recipe is still being worked out. Currently, it's the 0.1% gel used no more than 2x per week, buffered with a cream like Fab ultra repair. But after just 1.5 weeks of use, I noticed today the red face is back. So I will try dropping usage to 1x per week and mix the gel with Vaseline. This stuff is that intense for me. However, it works quickly for me and it's almost an overnight change to the problem pores, whereas months of using the cream form did little to clear my pores and just irritated my skin.

Taz gel has been shown to be effective in short contact therapy, which is another method I've tried in the past and can definitely say it works. Google it, but basically you put it on and then wash off a couple min later. I might go back to this method if the 1x per week with Vaseline doesn't reduce my red face look.

The red face look is part of the reason I first gave up on Taz after about 6 months of use in 2013. At first my skin looked like glass. This was back when i was 32 and did not have adult acne, but was trying to clear some problem pores on my chin. This was also back when i could do anything to my face and it would be fine. This was before coming off birth control. I should have only used the taz on my chin at the time, but my derm told me this stuff was nicknamed "vitamin T" in her office and it would make my face perfect. And for a while it did. My skin was fine to begin with, but this stuff gave me a Tazorac glow that increased the number of people commenting on how nice my skin was. I was using the cream 0.05%.

But like a young foolish idiot with little retinoid experience, I started using it too much. I was a peeling mess with skin shedding like a snake. Red face ensued. I started damaging my moisture barrier in a huge way and ended up with very large looking pores. It looked like an orange peel. It looked so unhealthy. To anyone out there googling to see how to get rid of that look, please put down the retinoid and be gentle with your skin and moisturize it. My idiot derm gave me the advice to push through and keep peeling and being red faced. What a moron.

That advice truly did some damage to my skin. And I was not helped by the onset of adult acne when I stopped the pill at age 33. Within a month, I had an acne beard. Not having had acne since high school (had acne ages 9-17, then went on bc pills and accutane), I did the only thing I knew how to do, which was to attack my face with ALL THE THINGS. This did not help the already sad state of my Tazorac abused skin.

Fast forward to age 35, I've had a kid and I'm done breastfeeding. Time to attack the closed comedones that will not go away. Tried the cream in both .05 and .1 for 3 months. Zero improvement. But at least no red face this time. However, it's summer in the south and the weather is killing me, since I now have product induced Rosacea. I quit again bc I'm scared of damage from taz and the summer sun, and lack of results are not worth it.

So next up, I started using 30% glycolic peel from MUAC, and also 2% bha liquid from Paula's Choice. Suddenly, I'm seeing improvement. Like overnight improvement. Those products are great. They also started getting rid of BBL induced hyperpigmentation, which I thought I'd have to live with for the rest of my life. Thank God there is hope for that. Why did I wait so long to try glycolic?? That stuff was the big winner in budging the pigment. Lactic and Mandelic peels for 6 months had not touched it!!!

A month into using these 2 products, and I've still got those problem clogged up pores on both my cheeks and chin. They are better, but definitely not clear yet. I discovered ocm with mineral oil and that was great for getting rid of a bunch of crap lodged in my giant pores. After 4 ocm sessions, I saw big improvement. I also started using the cetaphil daily cleanser, the clear one, not the creamy one. That stuff is amazing.

But I've still got pores that won't clear. I've also got taz gel samples sitting around. I know this stuff can tear me up. But could it also maybe finally clear these pores? I give it a go. After one use, some problem pores go from being under the skin pebbly lumps to being white heads. Never been so happy to see a white head in my life. I do ocm again that night and more stuff dislodges from my pores. I wait a few days and use the gel again. Repeat. And one and a half weeks later, I can honestly say some of these closed comedones are finally clearing. And a few things I thought were sebaceous hyperplasia are gone, which I guess means they were actually closed comedones bc those things don't respond to anything aside from electrocautery.

But now my face is red again. I've used the gel only 3x. Ugh. Sure, I could try the 0.05% gel and probably will. But for now, I'm going to finish clearing these pores and then try to switch back to AHA/BHA to keep them clear.

Tldr: taz is effective but it's a fine line between helping and hurting. You can really mess up your face with it. Buffer it and don't use it often. A gentle cleanser with neutral pH is a must. Good luck.

on 9/7/2016 7:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I want to vigorously shake the hand of whoever invented Tazorac.

Since all the other reviews explain it well enough, I want to give a warning about it's efficacy. It WILL burn the hell out of your lip area and various mucous membranes, resulting in dry skin and painful lips for about four days. And that is AMAZING! Thank you, science! Tretinoin provides constant exfoliation and helps PREVENT the blockages that result in acne. I've suffered from persistent, non-cystic acne for about five years and Tazorac is the only product that produced real results.

In the words of my dermatologist, drugstore acne products of salicylic acid/etc are "for tweens." They are weak. If you have truly problematic acne, skip Walmart. Don't even look at the aisle. I've wasted so much money on weak products. In addition, I tried Epiduo and Atralin beforehand: both slightly cleared existing acne, but kept bringing new ones to head. Enter Tazorac: it effectively nuked my face. And I LOVE it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Overall, this acne cream is amazing. Both my parents had terrible acne and they never got treatment, so they invested in getting me a dermatologist when the first signs of acne started. I started this cream in the 0.05% about two years ago, in sixth grade, but about a year ago, I was bumped up to 0.1% as my acne got worse. The main advice I would give is to NEVER MISS A DAY. Stick to your regimen and never give up on it if your results don't come quickly. When you first start using it, your skin will probably break out and get dry and peel a ton, but once your face gets used to it, it will get better. After about two months of using this I started seeing results. My skin tone was more even and I only had a few pimples compared to the dozens I had before. Honestly, this cream really doesn't irritate my skin at all and I don't even have to moisturizer before. The thing I do recommend though, is to put on sunscreen as your face could splotch. So far, I am delighted with the product, and it may be pricey (insurance covers mine) but it is definitely worth the price as long as you use it CONSISTENTLY.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love Tazorac. Tried Retin-A over the years. Did Accutane, and now retinoids are working! After my second course of Accutane, I started using 0.05 gel. I started to break out a little after about a year of stopping the tane, and went back to the derm.

She bumped me up to the 0.1 gel (strongest retinoid). It took about two weeks to get used to it, and for the redness and dryness to calm down.At first I only used it every other night, and now I can use it every night. It exfoliates me like crazy and when I rub my skin in the shower, it feels like little eraser bits are coming off. Gross I know, but hyperpigmentation seems to slough off along with it.

A year being on 0.05 gel and now a couple of weeks into 0.1, I can see a huge difference in tone, texture and evenness of my skin. Scars are also smoother. I love the way it looks. Completely clear and less oily.

It takes time to get the results, but the time and dedication is worth it!

on 3/15/2016 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

One of the worst thing I've done for my skin is waiting so long to try Taz. I was prescribed it a year ago, but was so scared by the initial breakout that I let the tube sit on my vanity untouched. 12 weeks ago however, at the height of my visits to my derm for cortisone shots (almost 2x a month!!) I knew I had to do something else. I broke open the Taz, and here at 12 weeks later (the requisite time my derm suggesting waiting before I saw any results) I can say this product is a miracle!!

Although I did have an initial breakout that was annoying, it wasn't the nightmare I expected. Here are the tips that really worked to help mitigate the side effects of the first few months:

1. Start with the lowest strength: 0.05% cream (gel is a bit stronger)
2. Only apply every other night (or even maybe even every 3rd night in the beginning if skin is very sensitive
3. Wash with a gentle cleanser. I used CeraVe at the direction of my derm and it also turned out to be my HG wash.
4. MOISTURIZE. I cannot stress that enough. CeraVe is also great for this as well, although as my skin got less dry, I went back to my Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel.
5. Wait at least 20 minutes after moisturizing, then apply Taz all over. Use a pea size for the entire face. I would not recommend using it as spot treatment as it's way too drying when it's concentrated to one area.
6. SPF IN THE MORNING, ALWAYS.

Now that I've weathered the initial breakout storm, my skin is much smoother looking (it actually looked better even when I was breaking out because the rest of my face's texture was great) and I actually GLOW which I never thought was possible. I have some very dark hyperpigmentation and old acne scars that are starting to fade as well.

I can't recommend this product enough. I didn't believe my derm when he first told me, "THIS WORKS" and I wished I listened sooner. The IBO may be frustrating, but as long as you're using Taz correctly (moisturizing and using lots of SPF), it can yield some amazing results in the end!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

Tazorac is my holy grail!! I have been on this product for 3 years and it has saved my life. I had moderate acne and I was on Atralin but I didn't feel like it was working so my derm switched me to Tazorac. I had a patch of acne on my left cheek that would not go away and I would breakout on my forehead and chin. I started off on .05 and it slowly started clearing up my skin. I also have oily skin so once my skin got accustomed to taz, my derm switched me to the .1 cream. I was using the .1 cream for about a year and my skin is so smooth and I barely have any breakouts unless they're around my period. this also helped with hyperpigmentation alot. I should also mention that I am on Solodyn. Since I am very oily, I have little whiteheads and bumpy spots on my forehead so my derm prescribed me the .1 gel for my forehead and the .1 cream for the rest of my face. She also said if I have a really bad acne flare up I can use the gel all over my face for a couple nights as a "spot treatment". This makes my pores smaller and my face 100x smoother. I'm in love with taz!!!

I would like to add BE CAREFUL while youre using this medicine!! You should not put your face directly in the sun, especially if its in the summer WEAR A HAT and SUNSCREEN. seriously i wear a hat everyday in the summer. I made the mistake of stopping tazorac so I could tan but I didn't wait until it was fully out of my system (I waited 3 days) and I laid out for 30 mins and I got 3rd degree burn on my face!! No lie, I had to rush to the ER then the derm and she prescribed me 3 steroid topicals and an antibiotic because this was a week before my graduation. I'm lucky it didn't permanantly scar my face but it was the worst thing I have ever gone through. It is not joke when they say "Wear sunscreen" and "avoid the sun".

Also, tazorac can be very drying so I thought I would share my regimen. In the morning I use CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser, then use Garnier hydrating serum, then use CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion. At Night I take my makeup off with Ponds Cold Cream, wash with CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser, then use my serum. I let the serum sit for 15 mins then put on the taz. I let that sit for another 15 mins then I put on CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I wish I'd gone on this sooner. I had really bad acne all through my teen years and tried so many over the counter products. My advice: skip all the acne "washes"...the medicine isn't on long enough to fix your acne. Cleansers are supposed to remove dirt and oil that's it. Be gentle with your face! Use a gentle soap free wash like Cetaphil paired with a benzoyl peroxide cream or a retinoid like Tazorac.

It will BURN when you first start using this. Follow the directions exactly and be patient. Use moisturizer and sunscreen if you go out. Be patient. The best part of this med is that it permanently fixed my skin. I use it occasionally if acne comes up, but it's always very mild and rare. It seemed to make my pores bigger? But I don't know if that was just because my pores were clogged with oil before so I didn't see how big they always were. It's worth it though, to have clear skin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

This changed my life. I absolutely love it. I used to have hyperpigmentation and acne. This diminishes acne that forming and removes redness overnight. It also makes my skin tighter! You have to moisturize with a moisturizer that is not light though or you may get permanent wrinkles.

on 8/4/2015 12:43:00 PM

I'm using Tazorac for the third time in my life. My skin is oily. I get blackheads, red pimples here and there, and lots of small pimples that give my skin a poor texture. I'm 30 now and while I've never had severe acne, the acne never seems to go away. In the past when I used tazorac, I really enjoyed the results. The only issue was when I was younger I didn't have as consistent of a skincare regimen. I wasn't nearly as healthy, and i never slept. These days I have a great routine and I try to take care of my skin. I decided to start using Taz again recently even though I was hesitant because of the initial hurdles of using the stuff. I guess This time around the side effects weren't nearly as bad as I remembered. Granted this time, this is the only thing I'm using. (The first time I used it, my derm had me using a benzoyl peroxide med in the morning.) I'm also aware of the best way to use it. I cleanse with cetaphil (I highly recommend cetaphil because it is so gentle. your skin will be sensitive on this stuff!) and apply cetaphil moisturizer after. You may hear that you should apply taz before the moisturizer (once the skin is thoroughly dry, wait 30ish minutes) makes it the most effective. That may be the case, but I find that my skin gives me less issues when I have the barrier of the moisturizer. I use a Magic Mitt from Jane Iredale to gently exfoliate any dry skin or flakes in the morning after cleansing, and I use a clarisonic at night. If my skin gets too sensitive at any point, I just don't use taz that night. I still feel like I get the great effects but it helps to calm my skin down again. I definitely recommend easing in. I worry that teenagers tend to slather on lots of these products, but they end up with a bad situation. Be patient! Ease in! You'll be so glad you did. I've been using it consistently for a month and already the bad side effects have subsided. I still have some blackhead and small bumps, but rarely any big red bumps. If a pimple pops up, it usually goes away pretty quickly. The best thing is the awesome glow this stuff gives you. It gives me perfectly smooth skin that is a perfect canvas for makeup. It also helps control the amount of oil my skin produces. One of my friends couldn't stop commenting on how good my skin looks. I feel like extractions would probably help my skin type. I'm hoping that getting some of the clogged stuff out and continuing use of taz will stop the pores from reclogging. Good luck if you're new to taz! It'll give you skin that people envy. It's great for anti-aging!

Popular Face Skincare Products