Orly Close Your Eyes

Orly Close Your Eyes

4.3

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Close Your Eyes dates back to Orly's 2005 Truth Or Dare collection, and I think that it must have been made core at one point, because it is still easy to find on most retail sites today. Orly described this shade as being a fuchsia shimmer, but I think that it is more of a plum that looks to have more of a frosty/almost metallic formula in the bottle. When applied to the nail, the berryish shimmer/frost pigments sorts of fade into the plummy base of the formula - but this actually works in the polish's favour, as it gives the shade a lit-from-within quality.

As well as the molten glow being extremely pretty, the formula is a winner; you only need one thicker coat for complete coverage that matches the shade in the bottle, although I'm someone who leans towards applying two thinner coats for better wear - but if I'm not bothered about stretching my mani or pedi out for as long as possible and just want something to match an outfit, this is a reliable and quick option. This polish is the perfect balance between not-too-thick and not-too-thin, it is so smooth to apply that it almost seems to apply itself, it doesn't streak on me, it dries quickly, and it wears well.

OPI had a similar shade to this [In The Moon For Love] in their Starlight collection, but this has a richer, glowier formula.

on 1/18/2015 12:06:00 PM

This colour may be a little dated, but it looks flattering with my skin tone and I like it. Wearing time is brilliant too. All in all I am very pleased with this polish.

on 10/26/2014 1:12:00 PM

Purplish-burgundy shimmer. The color looks very dated and conservative and boring. A couple of reviews down someone mentioned it looks like it's from the 80s- very much so.

The formula is good though, so two lippies instead of just one. Excellent application and wear but I wouldn't buy it again because I hated the color.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

The color is so beautiful, I asked a co-worker what color and brand she was wearing. This is a plummy/bronzey/metallic shade. I think it would look AMAZING with a tan. I do not tan anymore and am fair skinned, but I still like to wear pretty colors on my toes. My co-worker is also quite fair skinned and it looked great on her. It may be a universal color that looks great on everyone. It's a pretty summer color but I think it will transition very well into Fall.

Gorgeous color!!!!!

on 5/23/2011 7:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I was instantly attracted to this color in the bottle but as soon as the nail tech finished... I was disappointed. It is much too metallic for me. I thought it would be a deep shimmery color and really cute for a pedi, but IMO the color looks like something one of my aunts would have worn in the 80's. Did the collection also have an electric blue with a metallic finish because if that is the look they were going for I would call it a success. I went over it with another Orly polish that was clear with shimmer and it looks a little better but over all I wish I had picked... anything else.

It does, however, apply and dry very nicely. I do like the formula.

on 5/20/2011 2:25:00 AM

I loved this colour as soon as I saw it. So glad to know that others love it too! It's such an interesting colour - get lots of compliments - unlike any other I have - and I have way too many similar red/burgundy/mauve polishes. It's a good formula, great coverage, easy application, stays put - doesn't creep, finish is nice enough even if you skipped a top coat and the durability is completely acceptable. Manicure with this lasted me about 4 days before showing wear at the tips. Retouched and the tips are chipped again (more like worn away) a few days later but only on a few tips - my thumb nails, pinkies and ring fingertips are still perfect - wow. Plus it's so easy to get these polishes at great BOGO sales, etc.

on 7/9/2010 4:13:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I LOVE this color. It's so pretty, sometimes I just fondle the bottle for the hell of it. In the bottle this is a gorgeous shimmery purple with swirls of deep purple and light purple. On the nail in strong light it's a plum w/ gold flash. Most of the time though it's just varying between bold medium purple, and dark purple. Not really that exciting in itself, but this has almost a jelly look to it. Like if I were to put a really, super shimmery purple on, and then top it with a purple jelly. SO pretty. It has a lot of depth to the color, which could otherwise be pretty boring. The formula is fantastic; opaque in 2 coats (probably could have got away w/ one), and dries fairly quickly.

This color has been described well below so I will just add that this was so gorgeous that I had to do a mani with it in the middle of summer although it seems to be a color more appropriate for the cooler months. It is a warm sparkly plum-bronze but doesn't overwhelm my cool toned skin. Read on for a pic -

continued >>

This is a beautiful plum/wine color with gold or peach in it depending on light. I bought this now but will use in the fall. I is such a deep and rich color ,just georgeous for any skin tone.

on 10/28/2007 10:04:00 PM

This is so pretty. It is very common today to make a polish that is sparkly and stunning in bright sunlight, but inside looks dark (maybe black). This is different. In sunlight, it is a lovely purple (almost a grape) but mildly boring. Inside, however, it picks up warmth from lights and looks like a berry with a rosy peach glow. If you are cool and wish the autumn hues looked good on you, this is a great option. It just glows in lamplight.

Popular Polishes