Mario Badescu Kiwi Face Scrub

No Image

2.7

Ingredients: Deionized Water,Stearic Acid, Algae Extract,Propylene Glycol Dipelargonate, Kiwi Seeds,PEG-8 Stearate,Cetyl Alcohol,Glyceryl Isostearate 5/20/09

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Silver, Wavy, Coarse

If you've ever read a review by me, you know that I'm quite mature. When I write a review, I try to be as fair and diplomatic as possible while being absolutely honest. Sometimes products don't agree with your skin type or tone. For me, heavy fragrance is hard to take, because I have a very keen sense of smell. I rarely, and I mean rarely pan a product. I will, however, make an exception for Mario Badescu Kiwi Face Scrub.

I have been using this line for a little over a month. When I first began using anti-aging skin care in my 30s, Glycolic acid was all the rage. For about 15 years I had to forgo prestige skin care, however. Times were tough. Anyway, when I was again in the position to splurge a little on skin care, I thought about using Glycolic acid again, because I had used it many years ago with great results. In fact, I used a product by Murad called Advanced Skin Smoothing Lotion. The stuff was bomb. Apply after toning, let dry, sunscreen, moisturizer, etc. You know the drill. So, I was excited that MB offered glycolic products. I have been using them and getting great results.

When I did my skin profile on the MB website, the Kiwi Face Scrub was recommended, and they sent me samples of their entire recommend regimen. I just finished using it. I gotta tell ya. In my entire 40+ years of using skin care and cosmetics, I have never come across a product as completely useless as this.

When I think of "scrub" I think of a polisher. Don't you? I mean something invigorating, exfoliating. Something that, when I have finished using it and rinse my face, my skin feels smooth and soft. When I rise the following morning, my skin us glowing. This product offers none of that. None.

It smells like kiwi. That was nice. And there the pleasantry ended. No granules, or polishing spheres therein. No smoothness. No softness. No polish. None of it. I kept massaging and hoping that soon a scrub would appear. But my hopes were dashed. I was left with a face full of goop and kiwi seeds. Huge black kiwi seeds, that served no practical purpose! It was ludicrous!

It surprises me that Mario Badescu is still selling this stuff, because there is no reason to buy it. Easiest $15 I'll ever save.

Sorry, Mario Badescu, but I think your scrubs are rather rubbish. I was happy with the Enzyme cleansing gel and Glycolic cleansers but I did miss the little scrubby action, hence I bought this.

Big mistake. The kiwi seeds are so huge that they did nothing, no exfoliation whatsoever and the formula left such a greasy film after use. Just gross. I rarely post such a negative review on MUA but I just had to put it here, I couldn't make it work at all.

on 8/30/2015 8:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I generally like MB products, but this scrub was so disappointing. First I was in need of a pregnancy safe scrub (I usually use Exfolikate, but it's not pregnancy safe). I find I like a couple of the masks from the MB line and my HG toner (Rosewater) is from MB so I gave this scrub a shot. I find that this "scrub" doesn't offer any true exfoliation for my skin. It seems to leave a film on my skin that I need to use a muslin cloth to thoroughly remove/wash off. Consistency is almost a waxy cream with kiwi seeds in it. Pleasant smell and did not irritate my acne prone skin. The tub container allows one to use every little bit of the product. It is a nicely priced compared to other prestige skin care lines.

It's just ok. Seems like these products are just fun to buy because they seem like a great value and they have so any options; but when you get home and try them out they are just ok.

on 8/2/2013 11:30:00 PM

I am SO glad that I did not waste my money on the full size version of this product. $15 USD for a four ounce jar of a product that has no benefit to your skin whatsoever is nothing but a joke. The sample proved to be more than enough for me to tell how much I hated it. With the first use, I concluded that this was nothing more than a waste of money. I have since given the remainder of the sample to my mother who wanted it for nothing more than the smell (which I thought to be quite disgusting). It is NOT a scrub, I don't even know how anyone could consider it to be. The kiwi seeds are so large and there is nowhere near enough to do anything with. I am in love with most Mario Badescu products, but this is not one of them.

on 7/4/2012 3:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Overall, was extremely disappointed with this product. I ordered an entire skin care regime from the website,and this was one of the worst I received.

it's extremely messy, the seeds have no other use but for show. Although this mask does make my skin look more radiant and refreshed, it is certainly not a "scrub". this does feel great on my skin and I have been using it regularly, just to use up the tub. Definetly would not re purchase

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I received this as a sample when i purchased a couple things from the website because I didn't really want to go all the way to the spa downtown. Anyways, I have a sensitive nose and this really bugged me. I can understand if some people enjoyed it, I really needed to purge when I smelled it. I ran around my house and had probably a 50/50 vote that it smelled good or not. Anyways, despite the smell, I tried it out in the shower and noticed that this scrub feels oily and heavy on my skin. It looked like it was going to live some film on my face. The kiwi seeds were too big and slippery to scrub on my face. It basically did absolutely nothing for my face. Thank god it was a sample. It was only something I would use to get that extra kick if I really felt sick to my stomach. I eventually emptied out the container to fill up something for travel.

on 3/31/2012 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is a horrible scrub. So far this is the only MB product I don't like. I gave it a fair go to! I used almost the whole jar before throwing in the rag. It doesn't really exfoliate, there aren't a lot of the seeds in there, and they are waaaaay too big to actually get into your pores. I was not pleased, I could get better from neutrogena.

on 3/31/2012 5:11:00 PM

This was an okay facial scrub. It smelled nice and my dull skin looked fresh and bright after using it. This, however, was no different from the results I get from a plain old sugar exfoliation. So, while I liked the smell, I saw nothing special here. If I want to pamper myself, maybe I'll buy it. There are better MB products.

on 11/9/2011 8:13:00 AM

Smells **delicious**. I wanted to lick my face. I think people who get a vomit vibe from this may have received a rancid batch? I can't imagine that this stuff has a good shelf life.

But like others, I don't feel that this actually did very much for my face. The kiwi seeds are too large and sparse to accomplish anything without significant manual effort. Maybe there's some acidity? Active ingredients are marked as the algae extract and the seeds. Comes packaged in a tub, which I find somewhat unhygienic.

INGREDIENTS: Deionized Water,Stearic Acid, Algae Extract,Propylene Glycol Dipelargonate, Kiwi Seeds,PEG-8 Stearate,Cetyl Alcohol,Glyceryl Isostearate

Price: 15 USD for 4oz