4.2

package quality

price range

Reviews

10 years ago

Ohhhh, I received a sample of it as a swap extra... and now I'm loving my sample so much... The only bad part of it is, that my list of must-haves is already getting too long! Well, Black Vetyver Cafe was a scent I wanted to try a long time ago, intrugued by it's name. I really love coffee/incense notes so I thought it was going to be a nice one.. and I was right! It's even nicer than nice, I really love it! I already enjoyed the other coffee scents I really like: CdG Wood Coffee and Bond no.9 Nuits de Noho, they are coffee fragrances with some mik and sugar. But this is a real, black coffee with an incense-y heart. I do enjoy nicely done vetiver, but I'm not crazy about it. However, this is the nicest vetiver I ever smelled. Black Vetyver Cafe is an amazing scent, and it's dark-tone appeals to me so much. Another full bottle purchase for me!!!

About reviewer (47 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinNormal, Medium

HairBrunette

EyesBlue

14 years ago

My favourite of the Jo Malone house, right next to Pomegranate Noir. This is simple, but it is interesting and last really well on my skin. The vetiver is dark but still has that clean vetiver smell. The coffee – I couldn’t imagine it will go well with the vetiver, but it does!

About reviewer (98 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair

HairRed

EyesBlue

3.0

14 years ago

This is a pleasant-smelling product but it is not a faithful duplicate of Jo Malone's Black Vetyver Cafe. It seems to lack the warm coffee note altogether and the vetyver is harsher and more masculine-smelling. The initial blast of this fragrance is very antiseptic. For a moment I thought I was at the dentists office. It mellows out in a half-hour or so and becomes quite pleasant but it's not the well-balanced masterpiece that the Jo Malone scent is. Hers just melds into the skin with with a warmth and earthiness that amazes me but unfortunately does not last more than a few minutes on the skin. I was hoping to find a long-lasting alternative or layering product. Sadly, this is not it. I had earlier tried the Bathed and Infused version and I think this is made with the same oil.

About reviewer (128 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinSensitive, Olive

HairBrown

EyesGreen

14 years ago

Vetyver and coffee are two scents that I find intoxicating, so I figured this would have to be love for me. I have worn this a couple of times now and it is not instant love by any means, but the scent is so curious I feel compelled to figure it out. The moment it was on I got an image of this luxury hotel opposite the arch in StLouis I stayed in a decade ago. A memory I didn't even realise I owned about the hallway of this place is suddenly there because of a smell!! (God I love perfume). And, yeah, this frag has a somewhat high-end industrial air about it. The dry down softens and lightly sweetens the scent. I think it is a private scent- one not likely to have mass appeal, but a more singular attraction, worn to please the wearer most perhaps. The notes are both cool and warm, earthy and slighty foody to me- that roasted sense of cofffe bean w/out a real coffee scent. I layered it today with S&L Orange Blossom, wich is a very authentic reproduction of citrus blossoms, and combined made me feel like I was working in the greenhouse, a great association of the smell of earth and flower. If I had only a sample size, I might not repurchase, because I was looking to be swept up by the scent at Hello. But I think the full size purchase may work to my advantage and allow me to grow into a relationship w/ this enigmatic scent.

About reviewer (263 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrown, Wavy, Fine

EyesGreen

14 years ago

Love this scent. I haven't tried the original perfume so I can't compare but it is a more woodsy/incensy type scent. Coffee beans are listed as a top note but don't think that means it will smell like your morning brew- not at all. It's a much more complex scent than that and on drydown turns into a lovely warm *your skin but better* scent.

About reviewer (59 reviews)

SkinOily