Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

on 1/9/2016 10:03:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other

Decent, no frills cleanser. It gets my makeup off in one easy step. Has a great price. Doesn't break me out. The regular size bottle lasts for a couple of months with daily use. It's almost perfect. It's simple and it's what my face needs because I have sensitive acne prone skin. I use this mostly at night and some mornings too. I use it to take off my make up with a wash cloth and I follow up with my boscia cleanser. My face hasn't been this happy and clear in a long time.

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

So So. i never had acne problem. in high school i use the basic clean and clear.but at about 20 it started breaking me out all of a sudden so i switch to Neutrogen that did the same thing. so i went a while not using anything but water and my coco butter. long story i cant use any Medicated cleansers. my skin does not like it then I switch to the mary kay combinations facial wash (the only thing i use from that line) my skin loves this stuff. i just hate ordering it on line but i just order some and was a Walmart and saw a trail size i figure it can tie me over till my MK facial wash comes in the mail.

So i used it three times already and to be frank to me it like water down cold cream.....i mean it feel like water down lotion but it not moisturizing at all my skin still felt dry when i got out the shower. that baffled me. but i see it has the same ingredients that shampoos have and since i only shampoo my hair every couple weeks (to clarify my scalp) it drying to my hair i just co/wash my hair daily. so maybe that why it drying to my face??? either way i wont be using this anymore

dont understand the hype at all.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

I was recommended cetaphil by those who have combination skin to combat dryness from cleansing and also this was supposed to be non comodegenic,

I found that after using Cetaphil for around a week I started to get mini spots and some blocked pores. For this reason I ended up retiring it as a miss.

Later on when I experimented with oil cleansing (castor oil) one day I decided to mix the two and my skin looks amazing. I use half a squirt of ceta and the same amount of Castor oil. Rub into wet skin then steam wipe with a hot cloth. My skin has improved so much.

Still I have to give it 3 lippies because if I didn't find another use for it I doubt I would buy it again.

on 1/29/2014 11:09:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

It didn't do anything for me.I was having breakouts when I purchased a bottle, probably due to the moisturizer I was using. My face just remained the same.It's slightly pricey so I guess I expected a little more. I will not be repurchasing.

on 6/17/2012 5:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

I had been trying cetaphil for years off and on with NO improvement. I have dry red itchy easily irritated skin. Water alone made it worse. Then i figured it out. I make sure my face is bone dry, absolutely no water, and rub the cetaphil in like lotion. Added more and more till my skin stopped " drinking" it. Then gently wipe the excess off with a wet washcloth. Miracle. If your skins similar to how mine was try it!!!

on 12/27/2011 1:22:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

My newly discovered HG skin cleanser.

Non-drying, gives a good clean that leaves the skin feeling clean yet ful of moisture, like I've just had a nice face massage. I have very very dry skin, but after using a combo of Cetaphil and a good moisturiser my skin is at the point where even if I wash my face using Cetaphil and DO NOT moisturise after, my skin does not feel dry and tight. It feels normal! This feeling is unbelievable for someone who has chronic dry skin all over.

A word for advice - this product is NOT meant to remove heavy/ full make-up, i.e. anything like thick tinted moisturiser, foundation, eye shadow, lipstick etc... In fact, it says so on the bottle - "removes light make up" only.

A lot of people have given this product a bad review because they say it does not remove make-up and leaves their skin feeling like it's coated in a film of stuff. I would say it's because they are not using it properly. They must remove make-up with a make-up remover/ oil first, and then wash their face with this. The filmy coating is due to the make-up on the skin getting wet and slick. It's still too sticky to come off with Cetaphil alone.

Now you may ask, why buy a product if you need to use another product before it? My answer to that is - because that's what you should do anyway. If you wear a face full of make-up just one application of cleanser will only get the make-up off, but you still need a second one to properly clean the skin. Whether it's Cetaphil or any other cleanser. The advantage of Cetaphil is that it's very good at helping skin retain moisture after washing. When you've cleansed at night you may just need a gentle cleanser in the morning unless you skin has any further requirements, and I'm sure this will work for most people, even if there are a few exceptions.
(For a recommendation of a good make-up remover to use before Cetaphil see my review of Clinique's Take the Day Off Cleansing Balm).

Finally, I suffer from hormonal adult acne but it's not caused due to oily skin. However, we all know that nothing is worse for any kind of acne than dry skin. And I would say Cetaphil works very well for m acne. Better than foaming cleansers which just dried everything ouyt more. Unless you have very oily skin, you probably don't need a foaming cleanser which dries the skin and causes the skin to produce even more oil to compensate for the dry skin. So you see, foaming cleansers may, in fact, be counter productive for some acne sufferers. You may want to give Cetaphil a go for a week and see if this gentle non-foaming cleanser, when used with a good moisturiser, doesn't get you skin's moisture levels up to the point where even if you forget to moisturise after cleansing your skin it doesn't feel dry or tight - that's what Cetaphil did for my skin (although I wouldn't advise "forgeting" too often).

The last pro for Cetaphil is that it's cheap. I would suggest that using a cheap cleanser and splurging on a good moisturiser or skin treatments like serums with the money you save. Cetaphil is very good value for money.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine

Nothing special here. It cleans my face. It's not stripping, but that's it. Nothing to gush over...

on 6/22/2011 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

El mejor limpiador para piel sensitiva,lo recomiendo.
The best cleanser for sensitive skin,I recommend it.

on 5/6/2011 6:55:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This is a great cleanser..I truly believe less is better. I'm not sure if it does anything for acne, but it has definitely improved the texture of my skin.
One negative is the fact that it is NOT a good make up remover, so you will have to use a make up remover before using this product. I use this product once/ day in the morning so I do not have to deal with the make up remover issue.

Overall, pretty great!

on 1/31/2011 2:14:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hated it! It broke my skin out... will never purchase again!