Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

on 6/24/2018 8:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I hate this so much it broke me out and made my face so sensitive!! Full of bad ingredients doesn’t even clean

on 11/22/2016 3:02:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

I have a very oily sensitive skin and this stuff broke me out badly in tiny little bumps and white heads which took me years to cleared up. I think it was all the alcohols, SLS and parabens in it that caused the problem.

on 10/16/2016 8:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

I wouldn't recommend this cleanser. I have acne-prone/combination skin and this cleanser just kept clogging my pores. I had non-inflamed bumps (clogged pores) that kept appearing and inflamed ones (whiteheads). I tried this cleanser for about a month before noticing that it was this product that was causing my skin to breakout every now and then. It is also very drying which is weird since it's supposed to be gentle. Another thing is that it doesn't clean my face really well. There is a waxy-sticky layer on my skin after I wash with it (kind of suffocating). The texture of this cleanser is cream-gel like. (Doesn't foam) IMO it won't remove well makeup or waterproof skincare. If you do use these types of products you might need to double-cleanse. I don't wear makeup or waterproof products and I still felt like this cleanser didn't do its job. Since stopping this cleanser, the non-inflamed bumps (clogged pores) are going away. For me this cleanser didn't work. *Do take note that I don't have chronic acne, but random spots once in a while (prone to acne). This cleanser just made my skin worse even though I didn't have bad acne from the start.

Ingredients: Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Stearyl Alcohol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben

----

If you ask for samples on their Facebook page (Cetaphil Canada) they will send you some to try very quickly. So you can try-test their products. Also they will also send you coupons and stuff if you ask. I didn't have to ask and they provided me with coupons and more. Their customer service is very good! They are very quick to respond and to send samples.

on 10/16/2016 12:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Hated this. I dont get why this is recommended for dry and sensitive skin. Its like putting lotion on your face and after washing it with water it just makes ur face feel oily and more sensitive (cause a strand of hair fell on my face after washing and it itched like crazy!). Only thing probrably yes, my dry skin is sort of gone but only for a few minutes. After that just felt greasy and oily. Same goes for the moisturizer. Im not a fan of cetaphil products at all.

on 4/13/2016 12:41:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

PROS

- not drying

CONS

- does not cleanse well

COMMENTS: Don't even bother using this if you've had makeup on. This is definitely for those with really sensitive skin as it's VERY gentle, making it ineffective at cleansing well (at least for me). I love their Daily Facial Cleanser, but this one is a no for me.

Will not repurchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

This face wash has been my miracle acne fix. I have struggled with acne for at least 15 years. I have very oily skin that clogs easily. I always stayed away from this cleanser thinking my skin needed stronger soaps. Finally, after trying Differin and needing something gentler, I purchased Cetaphil. My skin cleared up immediately. I've been using it for at least a year now. I still have issues with clogged pores and blackheads, but it's nothing that hasn't been fixed with some salicylic acid and makeup remover. The bottle seems expensive, but it's huge and lasts a 3-4 months. Very happy!

on 3/9/2016 1:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Just to give you a brief background about my skin: I have oily, acne-prone skin and just recently had a bad breakout from using Mario Badescu enzyme cleansing gel (I wrote review about that product).

First things first, this is a bad cleanser BUT I'm giving it 3 lippies because I don't use it as a cleanser. As recommended by my dermatologist, I use it as a makeup remover—put it on a cotton ball and apply directly to my face with makeup, keep cleaning until the cotton ball is clear of any makeup residue then wash with my cleanser (Clinique liquid facial soap for oily skin).

I say this is a bad cleanser though because it really doesn't clean my face. I followed my dermatologist's reco of using it in the morning as well to avoid overdrying my face (I'm also using a bunch of stuff to clear my breakout—clindamycin solution am/pm, benzoyl peroxide am, erythromycin pm, glycolic cream pm, tretinoin pm AND oral isotretionoin pm). Thinking that since I'll only have whatever products I put on my face the night before and no makeup, it would be fine but I saw that my cotton ball would have dirt and whatever which should be clear since I've already washed my face. PLUS, after using it in the morning for a week, I started getting itchy patches around my jawline/cheeks just like the last time I used this as a cleanser (and that was years ago). So I just stopped using it in the morning as a cleanser and used Clinique and the itchiness went away.

So far, my skin is alright using this as a makeup remover but I would never use it as a cleanser.

on 1/11/2015 11:51:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I'm using this product for 2 months now. I have the BIG bottle so there's still a lot of product in it!
I gave an overall 3 lipsticks note because i think this is an "mmm ok" product: nothing special, nothing bad.
I use it just on my face in the morning and in the evening after i take my makeup off, just to wash out any make up remover residue.

It doesn't burn at all, it's really gentle and doesn't have any scent.
Well, it doesnt have any scent to the point it has, i dunno if it's clear.

When i'll run out I might repurchase, but I think i'll try something else.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I had heard a lot about Cetaphil gentle cleanser and thought I'd give it a try since my usual facial cleanser was rather low. Never again will I purchase this product or any product without researching it beforehand!

I used it (with water) the evening I bought it and moisturized with my usual night cream and got ready for bed. I woke up the next morning with my face feeling dry and scratchy. I didn't think too much of it since the weather has been a bit dry lately, so I continued with my morning routine and hopped in the shower. I used the Cetaphil cleanser again and applied my day time moisturizer. I was about to apply my makeup when I noticed my face felt dry and scratchy, again!
The only way I can accurately describe the sensation is like this: My face felt like paper.
Not just dry on the outside, but dry on the inside, like the skin on my face was completely dehydrated. My skin started to flake and peel, which is NOT normal for me since I use an AHA treatment with ceramides for exfoliation at night and a great hydrating lotion with SPF 50 during the day. I haven't had dry, patchy, flaky skin for about a year and a half until now!

I bought this cleanser because it is marketed as a gentle cleanser that is good for all skin types. I was NOT expecting it to do as much damage as it did! It honestly feels like the moisture barrier of my skin was stripped away along with all the moisture throughout. Upon further reading (and a good look at the ingredients list on the bottle) I learned that there is almost NOTHING beneficial to skin contained in this cleanser...

Ingredients: Water, cetyl alcohol, propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfate, stearyl alcohol, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben.

Cetyl alcohol is used as an emollient, emulsifier of thickening agent. It's also used to make products opaque, most often in shampoos. Nothing beneficial for skin here...

Propylene glycol Is a stabilizer, emulsifier. Again, nothing beneficial for skin here either.

Sodium lauryl sulfate is used in many cleansers for it's ability to thicken and form a lather. Interestingly, it has also been shown to cause sensitivity to the face with prolonged or constant exposure, so you really want to rinse thoroughly after washing. Once again, nothing too beneficial for the skin...

Stearyl alcohol serves the same purpose as Cetyl alcohol, it is used as a thickener, emollient and emulsifier. Nothing beneficial for the skin.

Methylparaben is a natural paraben found primarily in blueberries and is an anti fungal agent. Studies indicate that methylparaben applied on the skin may react with UVB, leading to increased skin aging and DNA damage. While it does have anti- microbial properties, it could be just as harmful.

Propylparaben is naturally found in some plants and insects, but is synthetically produced for use in cosmetics. It is used as a preservative in many water based cosmetics such as creams, lotions, shampoos and bath products. Nothing beneficial for the skin here.

Butylparaben is another antimicrobial and antifungal agent and is also used as a preservative. Butylparaben has been shown to cross body barriers and enter the body through the skin epithelium. Another ingredient that is possibly beneficial, but it does enter your body through the skin.

I honestly have no idea why this is such a popular product... It contains very few beneficial active ingredients (only 2) and even then there are better options out there. If I could give this product a lower rating I would. Do yourself a favor and look for a better facial cleanser, even if this works well for you. It's composed primarily of fillers and preservatives... There are much better choices out there for the same cost and a little less.

on 12/24/2013 5:54:00 PM

I am such a fan of this product as it does exactly what it is supposed to!

I bought this product as my skin started to go really dry and flaky looking and I just wanted a cleanser that was not harsh on my skin. My friend advised me to get this and I did.

It comes in a pump bottle which is useful as the right amount of cleanser comes out. It feels soft too....You can use it by putting in on a cotton wool or using it as a face wash. I have done both - I usually use it as a face wash but put it on cotton wool when I've put a face full of make up on. When I use this, my skin feels cleansed - but does not feel 'tight' or 'stripped' after like with other cleansers. It just makes my skin feel refreshed! It has a almost creamy feel to it. It doesn't really have a smell.

Overall, it does what its supposed to! I've used this now for four months and I wouldn't change cleanser now as it keeps my skin clean without stripping it.