Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.4

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This was literally the only face cleanser I could use during puberty. Everything else made my poor crazy sensitive, acne prone skin break out, flake, burn, etc. My skin has calmed down a bit since then, but this is still a go to for me. It is extremely gentle and my skin isn't unbearably tight post wash. (Note: I still use a moisturizer afterwards.) I wouldn't use it to remove makeup as it's a little too gentle. Definitely supplement it with an actual makeup remover or oil cleanser if you painted your face that day. For everyday use, however, I like it a lot.

For the life of me I do not understand why this is such a popular adored cleanser!? This cleanser contains the big bad wolf ingredient that all the natural and organic freaks like to point out all the time, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate! How contradictory are some people?

I am not a fan of it's gloppy texture, this is what one could call a lipid free cleanser although it contains one surfactant, SLS. It really is only suitable for a morning cleanse as it doesnt not foam at all and has no real cleansing ability, it can't even remove a full face of make up. Those who wear light makeup might like it but I just dont see what the issue is with this cleanser. Along with other overpriced Cetaphil products I don't see the big deal about this collection. For those who are truly sensitive and are looking for something more substantial in terms of both cleansing power and moisturisation, look no further than CeraVe. Much better formulas, decently priced and well tolerated. Both companies GALDERMA owns Cetaphil... CeraVe as of last year was purchased by L'Oreal Paris who also own Maybelline, Garnier, Lancome, YSL BEAUTY, Giorgio Armani, NYX, Skinceuticals, La Roche Posay, and so on.

Due to L'Oreal Paris's ethics and the unprofessional business tactics I won't be purchasing anything from their sub brand or anything associated with them, even Nestle. I encourage people to join me in boycotting both NESTLE and L'OREAL PARIS until they come to their senses and come clear on some sort of transparency with their selling tactics in China to animal testing.

Your are not worth it, all you are to these big buys is $$$$$$$$$!

on 4/16/2018 7:50:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

Do not buy Cetaphil sold for the Australian market it is absolutely terrible. Have tried it a number of times over the years, the Australian version always causes my normal skin to become extremely dry and irritated and sometimes has caused terrible rashes. It stings badly, sometimes burns, there is nothing gentle about this cleanser. I tried it on my face twice never again, the other times were as a body wash. I do not have sensitive skin. I have also tried it in the UK, and had no problems whatsoever. Cerave cleansers are far superior and cause no problems whatsoever.

on 11/18/2017 10:25:00 AM

Let me tell you all the truth about Cetaphil and Galderma products......the main ingredient is Petroleum aka Petrolatum aka Parrifium Liquidum. Its literally vaseline plastered on your face. I too was prescribed this product as well as the Galderma moisturizer, Nutraderm, by my Dermatologist! I just have to add, Cetaphil is crap for removing make up even after oil cleansing. I used it for many years and my skin was fine,until, I started getting really bad acne that just wouldn’t go away. I started researching the ingredients and found that Petrolatum is just a pharmaceutical grade plastic layer that is placed over the skin and basically stops your natural oils from evaporating ie. Suffocating your pores. I stopped all my Galderma products and opted for organic, natural skincare products. Then the crap hit the fan. My skins barrier practically stopped functioning because for so many years, my skin thought it was producing enough sebum because it did not evaporate so it basically underproduced sebum. So my skin became extremely sensitive and dehydrated. I started using the Dermalogica Ultra Calming range which focusses on repairing the skins own Barrier and not making it lazy. And I gotta say, my skin has never looked better. My acne cleared 3months after I stopped all Petroleum products on my face. My acne was caused by layers upon layers of suffocating plastic and my pores just needed to breathe! I have been using petroleum free products for 4years now and what used to be severely dry skin is now skin that only needs body lotion every other day. I still use Dermalogica on my face (because Natural face washes just don’t remove make up properly) and Organic natural body washes in the shower. They are filled with anti oxidants that rid your skin of free radicals which is a must.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I saw my first dermatologist when I was 9 because of severe acne. At his office there were a ton of cetaphil samples, and he recommended this face wash. I used this for years. Finally I switched to Clean & Clear (Deep Action Face Wash) and my skin immediately improved. My face was brighter and I had less acne. I think Cetaphil made my break outs worse because it uses a lot of SLS, which is comedogenic & irritating to the skin.

This facial wash just does not cut it. Especially if you have oily skin or wear makeup. I've heard the company who owns this facial wash, Galderma, pays dermatologists to promote Cetaphil (I'm not sure if this is true! I do wonder why my derm as so many samples though). Galderma has created great products (such as differin & tri luma), but there are many other excellent facial washes. Aveeno Moisturizing Facial Bar, Clinique Facial Bar, Clean & Clear, & Olay all have great facial washes for around the same price or lower. If you use Cetaphil I dare you to try another facial wash for a few weeks--I bet your skin will improve.

on 8/27/2017 2:56:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

one of my fave cleansers of all time! even bets some high end I've tried. I find it hard to find a good cleanser for my combo skin, this is one of the few I'm in love with!

on 8/4/2017 4:21:00 PM

I've been using this cleanser for about a year, and this is what sparked my interest in skin care in the first place! It's a very basic cleanser but it does what it's supposed to do and It's very gentle with no scent to it. It helped clear up my skin and even after one year of exploring other products I still stick to it. It doesn't remove makeup very well on it's own and therefore I recommend it as a second step after an oil cleanser (I use the Muji oil cleanser) or for use in the morning. It doesn't dry out my face which is good, and it's very gentle for sensitive skin. Another plus is the great price and easy accessibility (Sweden). Only downside is the fact that it doesn't remove makeup on it's own and the design on the packaging is really boring. But overall a great basic product!

on 6/14/2017 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

So I'm taking back everything I said before about this product. Turns out it wasn't cleansing as well as I thought. Evidenced by gradual increase in foundation-colored blackheads, whiteheads and general congestion of the skin. I have swapped to first cleanse with micellar water to kick-start makeup removal and then Dermeze which is in the same area of the pharmacy as Cetaphil. It contains glycerine and silk protein, cleanses really well and leaves my skin MEGA soft. Happy I have swapped it.

Excellent cleanser that leaves the skin feeling so soft, it's tempting not to put moisturiser on! I have very sensitive skin and this product is very gentle. You only need a small amount and it is really good for getting most of your mascara off. I always find a bit of mascara under my eyes in the morning but i don't often wear makeup so that is a minor issue but I do use Cetaphil daily -I never wash my face.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This cleanser was ok. I wanted to give it a try because so many people have sworn by this and my skin seems to be dehydrated now that I'm in my late 20s. I wanted to find something that was gentle and hydrating for my face without leaving a greasy feel afterwards. This cleanser did the job of cleaning it but I felt that my skin still looked stripped after. It really didn't do too much for my face other than clean it and it did not leave a greasy feel. I would say that it is gentle and didn't cause any irritations. I tried the CeraVe Hydrating cleanser and I found it to be much better. My face looked much more hydrated and softer compared to this cleanser.