Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
No Title

3.6

This isn’t my perfect/Holy Grail facial cleanser, but I don’t mind it for the most part. It’s super mild, cleans my face (but note, it does NOT remove makeup, so do that beforehand!), and doesn’t leave a tight feeling once drying. It doesn’t break me out, but it also doesn’t exactly do anything to change my skin either. I literally feel as though my face is exactly the same as if I washed with water. I’m glad this isn’t expensive. I’m also not a fan that there is SLS listed as an ingredient, but honestly, I don’t think there’s an exorbitant amount. Either way, this product is just...ok.

on 1/5/2019 6:16:00 AM

In my opinion, there is simply nothing that compares with Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. Since I discovered it, 18 years ago, I used it off and on, mostly because I would get caught into some trends (micellar waters (didn't clean well enough and some are drying others are too greasy, LRP or Avene gentle cleansers, thinking that it would be "even better than Cetaphil", Clarins - almost all cleansers). However, for me LRP Toleriane and Avene cleanser both left some strange film that broke me out and also weren't effective, didn't clean as well as Cetaphil. I would always run back to Cetaphil to "save my skin".
Then some time ago I read that Charlize Theron uses Cetaphil because she "likes to keep the cleansing simple". And it made all the sense. In order to use all the creams, peelings etc that would actually make some difference in terms of aging etc. it's very important that the cleanser is:
-non-drying (you can cleanse with Cetaphil multiple times a day and it won't dry your skin)
-non-irritant
-non-comedogenic
-it needs to actually clean the skin well and NOT leave any film

So I finally decided it's over. I threw all the others cleansers away. Never looked back.

Just a few notes regarding how I use it (I see some people say it doesn't take their makeup off, which I find surprising).
PM:
First I wash and dry my hands, then I apply approx. 1-2 pumps on completely dry skin, massage into the makeup, and eyes. Take a cotton pad (1 or 2 depending on the amount of makeup) and then take it all off. Then I take 1-2 pumps more, and massage it into my face with circular motions for about 2 minutes, which turns Cetaphil cleanser white (this is as "foamy" as it will get, it's not really a foam).
Then I wash it all off with water and then gently pat dry with a clean towel.
After this I can apply any night cream (I use Cetaphil Rich Night cream or Clarins multi active night, or Clarins Blue Orchid Oil). Sometimes if I feel that my skin is moisturized enough, I would not apply any cream, I would let my skin breathe over night. I believe it's important to do this a few times a week, because I normally wear make up during the day.

AM
Apply on dry face, circular motions, wash off. Repeat if necessary or wanted. Then I apply a thin layer of serum (Vichy 89, Clarins Double Serum...), let it dry a bit and then I apply my makeup on (Lancome Teint Idole, Clarins Skin Illusion..)
I know it's recommended to use a moisturizer over serums, but I simply can't do it, as too many layers always feel like my skin is suffocating underneath and it also breaks me out in these small whiteheads that to me really seem as created by too much moisturizer.

I am a bit of skincare junkie and like to try new things, but I realized that experimenting should be done with the skincare that has actual active ingredients, and that cleanser's only function should be to clean effectively without irritating, drying or breaking the skin's moisture barrier. I really believe Cetaphil is amazing.

on 12/7/2018 4:42:00 AM

A dermatologist recommended this to me once and whenever I am low on funds or I need an interim cleanser, I reach for this - my good old reliable cleanser.
It's inexpensive, great value for money, I like the pump pack, and the cleanser itself is gentle but effective on my combination skin and sometimes irritable skin. I like that my whole family can use it. Only one concern - it's not that great at removing makeup. So if I am wearing makeup I'd use a makeup remover before I cleanse with it.
It's fragrance free and has a nice texture - you can massage it in, and either rinse off or use makeup pads.

on 12/11/2017 8:39:00 PM

great product.
i was recommended this project by my doctor a few months ago for my acne and im incredibly happy with the results.
first of all, its an incredible value, i payed i think 15 dollars (Canadian) for this large container, it has an unoffensive barely there scent and doesnt irritate my sensitive skin. it also really helped with my acne without stripping my skin so thorougly of oils it feels tight. its excellent for removing makeup as well.
so overall the pros and cons are:
pros
unoffensive smell
good value
works well on sensitive skin
does'nt dry out skin
works well on acne prone skin
can be used to remove makeup

cons
not a super pretty bottle
so in conclusion i would absolutely recommend buying this, as its cheap and works well on all skin types.

Love Cetaphil Skin Cleanser! So gentle on me, and well priced given how big the bottle is. I have eczema and this is one of the only washes I can use. I've been a loyal Cetaphil user for over 4 years.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This cleanser is very okay. I don't think it is special, but it isn't supposed to have a lot of frills. It is very gentle, so if you need something for very sensitive skin, rosacea, a bad sunburn, etc then this is good for that when used with warm water. However, when used this way, it did leave my skin a little greasy. I think it is best as a makeup remover (applied to dry skin and wiped away with a dry cloth/cotton pad/etc) and followed by another cleanser, especially if you have oily or problem skin. For my own personal preference I would prefer to use a gentle cleanser that also does remove makeup since over-cleansing can be very drying and irritating to my skin, especially if I am having issues with rosacea. I don't think I would repurchase it at this time.

This cleanser is a light barely creamy cleanser that feels nice. It definitely gave me breakouts + a cystic one though (I rarely get), which is probably because it contains 3 different parabens, so I refuse to use it again. If you are acne prone avoid this at all cost.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

A really gentle and great cleanser. Does not work for me because my skin is notoriously difficult, I find that most products break me out terribly but this gem works wonders for my friends with less finicky skin. For example, my best friend uses micellar water first to get make up off, then this and also uses it in the morning. Her skin that used to be dry and dull is now glowy and nice.

I know it's weird to review products for others but I know so many people for whom this works so well, I thought I just might :)

I used this product on my dry skin. Moisturizing works well and it has some sort of chemical odor. Overall, it is good to used in the Winter time.

I used to be oily but I've become more combination as time has passed. I don't use this Cetaphil cleanser daily but it's nice to have when my skin is feeling drier than not by the end of the day. It's also great that this cleanser is moisturizing because every now and again I need to give my skin a night off from acne treatments and simply add some moisture back in by simply cleansing with Cetaphil's gentle cleanser and going to bed with a no frills moisturizer on. I could liikely use this cleanser daily with no issue but for now it's a good occasional night off for my indecisive skin.