Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.8

on 11/5/2017 4:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I use this as my second step cleanser. It’s so gentle just like the name says. My skin feels so good and hydrated after I use it; although, I do have oily skin. I also use it in the mornings to cleanse and again, it’s not drying. The pump dispenser is also huge plus for me. I’d definitely buy this again!
Update- CVS constantly has deals on Cetaphil, so another win for me!

on 4/21/2017 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I don't get all the hype. I wish I did, because in theory this should work great for my sensitive skin. This is akin to dish soap IMO while not making my skin feel clean at the same time. It's just clear, blah liquid soap. Pass.

on 3/11/2016 3:17:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I give this a 2 because it did not over dry my skin so that is plus. I wear lot of make up so this definitely is not for me, it does not remove make up at all. I use it on my natural days but that is about it.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is a crazy gentle cleanser, to the point that I am not totally sure it gets off makeup, and definitely not for eye makeup removal. But for people who like very gentle cleansing, this is a good bet. I find myself feeling like there is residue or dirt left over though, so if I do use it I have to follow up with a toner.

Pros: Nice pump bottle, extremely gentle, good for people with very sensitive skin. I like to use this before face masks if I don't want my soaps to interact with the mask. The price is decent for what you get.

Cons: I don't feel totally clean when I rinse it off, and in that same vein it doesn't cleanse deeply enough for my daily needs.

on 9/25/2014 11:22:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

This product has completely changed my view on skin care. I was used to using cleansers that dried my skin out, but I thought it was just that "clean" feeling. I now realize it was just dry, tight skin. When I first started using this product, I did not like it. After a few weeks of using it, I loved it! Ever since I've started using this product, I rarely have break outs or pimples. I do have pretty good skin to begin with, but did see the occasional pimple and break out. This leaves my skin feeling soft, supple, and moisturized. It doesn't leave u with that dry, tight feeling. I first wet my face and hands and then pump 2-3 squirts of cleanser in my hand. I then massage the cleanser into my skin and rinse off. I always let my skin air dry. This product is very gentle, yet effective. It is the only thing that will completely take off my mascara and fake lashes. I will never go to another facial cleanser!

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I had heard a lot about Cetaphil gentle cleanser and thought I'd give it a try since my usual facial cleanser was rather low. Never again will I purchase this product or any product without researching it beforehand!

I used it (with water) the evening I bought it and moisturized with my usual night cream and got ready for bed. I woke up the next morning with my face feeling dry and scratchy. I didn't think too much of it since the weather has been a bit dry lately, so I continued with my morning routine and hopped in the shower. I used the Cetaphil cleanser again and applied my day time moisturizer. I was about to apply my makeup when I noticed my face felt dry and scratchy, again!
The only way I can accurately describe the sensation is like this: My face felt like paper.
Not just dry on the outside, but dry on the inside, like the skin on my face was completely dehydrated. My skin started to flake and peel, which is NOT normal for me since I use an AHA treatment with ceramides for exfoliation at night and a great hydrating lotion with SPF 50 during the day. I haven't had dry, patchy, flaky skin for about a year and a half until now!

I bought this cleanser because it is marketed as a gentle cleanser that is good for all skin types. I was NOT expecting it to do as much damage as it did! It honestly feels like the moisture barrier of my skin was stripped away along with all the moisture throughout. Upon further reading (and a good look at the ingredients list on the bottle) I learned that there is almost NOTHING beneficial to skin contained in this cleanser...

Ingredients: Water, cetyl alcohol, propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfate, stearyl alcohol, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben.

Cetyl alcohol is used as an emollient, emulsifier of thickening agent. It's also used to make products opaque, most often in shampoos. Nothing beneficial for skin here...

Propylene glycol Is a stabilizer, emulsifier. Again, nothing beneficial for skin here either.

Sodium lauryl sulfate is used in many cleansers for it's ability to thicken and form a lather. Interestingly, it has also been shown to cause sensitivity to the face with prolonged or constant exposure, so you really want to rinse thoroughly after washing. Once again, nothing too beneficial for the skin...

Stearyl alcohol serves the same purpose as Cetyl alcohol, it is used as a thickener, emollient and emulsifier. Nothing beneficial for the skin.

Methylparaben is a natural paraben found primarily in blueberries and is an anti fungal agent. Studies indicate that methylparaben applied on the skin may react with UVB, leading to increased skin aging and DNA damage. While it does have anti- microbial properties, it could be just as harmful.

Propylparaben is naturally found in some plants and insects, but is synthetically produced for use in cosmetics. It is used as a preservative in many water based cosmetics such as creams, lotions, shampoos and bath products. Nothing beneficial for the skin here.

Butylparaben is another antimicrobial and antifungal agent and is also used as a preservative. Butylparaben has been shown to cross body barriers and enter the body through the skin epithelium. Another ingredient that is possibly beneficial, but it does enter your body through the skin.

I honestly have no idea why this is such a popular product... It contains very few beneficial active ingredients (only 2) and even then there are better options out there. If I could give this product a lower rating I would. Do yourself a favor and look for a better facial cleanser, even if this works well for you. It's composed primarily of fillers and preservatives... There are much better choices out there for the same cost and a little less.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have oily skin and this is my HG face cleanser. Anything else is either too harsh or makes me break out. This removes my makeup very well. It doesn't leave my skin extremely dry, nor does it leave it greasy either. It leaves my skin feeling refreshed. I use it in the morning when I wake up and at night before bed. I love that it comes with a pump and not a squeeze bottle.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I started getting terrible hives on my forehead when I was 14 years old and this was what my dermatologist suggested for me to use. 14 years later, it is still my favorite cleanser. No, it's not fancy. And no, it's not luxurious but it keeps my skin healthy and clear. I do get seduced by more expensive cleansers and creams from time to time but inevitably, my skin will react and I always go back to Cetaphil. At around $10-$12 for 16 ounces, it's a great investment and lasts a long time. The best deal is to purchase this at Costco or Sam's Club, usually I get two 20 oz bottles for around $15.

I like to use this as a body wash in the winter when my very dry skin needs a soap-free cleanser. My favorite way to use this is almost like a mask in the shower, I'll pack on tons of product and gently massage in and after about 5-7 minutes (usually let it sit while I'm shampooing and conditioning my hair), I'll wash it off and my skin is so much softer. The dry flakes will be gone and any acne will have reduced in size and redness! Love this product so much, it will always be in my skincare routine!

on 6/15/2012 10:12:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I was trying to find the best cleanser and makeup removal for my sensitive skin and now it seems that I have found it. In the beginning I wasnt happy about the consistency (weird and bit sticky on the skin) and smell (actually almost no scent with a hint of pharmacy smell). In time I found a way how to use it and now it works perfect for me. It does not irritate my eyes at all, which is already a big success in my case. I use it before my 3 steps from Clinique in the evenings when I have worn makeup only.
Usually I rub it in my palms, bring it onto my face and eyes and gently massage it in with my fingers, then I just spray a bit of thermal water on a cotton pad and remove the excess. Works well, the skin feels smooth and clean. Probably it might work for some people to proceed directly to cream etc., but I prefer to use a facial soap and rinse my face with water, otherwise I dont have the clean feeling.

on 6/3/2012 10:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This product left my face both tight and greasy an odd combination. My face was itchy, red, and splochy, it also made my break out much worse and more frequently.

Ingredients:Water, cetyl alcohol, propylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfate, stearyl alcohol, methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben.