Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

on 10/30/2018 10:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I was recommended to wash my face with this cleanser while i was on a regular orracutane treatment over a year ago (i still use soap free cleansers and always will after finding how much softer they were on my skin). I did buy this several times, but the biggest problem was that even though most soap free cleansers don't foam much, especially face cleansers, this didn't foam up AT ALL. I would try it with my clarisonic and it didn't help remove my makeup or clean my face any better than just water. It would feel like i was rubbing gunk that didn't clean my skin or take my makeup off on my face. i wanted to like it with my dermatologist recommending it, and it being so readily available everywhere. I eventually found a better facial cleanser, it still doesn't foam up much, but does far more so than this one does, and you can see that it gently removes makeup, unlike this one did. It's harder to find, but far more useful in my opinion, and that was the qv gentle facial cleanser. I still use it to this day, even though i don't have acne or oil problems anymore, I've always had sensitive skin, and this is very good to my skin.

on 10/25/2018 11:09:00 PM

I know that when the Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser came out it was kind of a big deal for people to have the option to purchase an affordable, no frills, fragrance free face and body cleanser. I like to use products that have as little fragrance as possible so I thought this might be a good option. I'd tried this several years ago when my skin transitioned from normal to dry- very dry. No matter how many times I revisit this cleanser I always find myself disappointed. First of all, this does nothing to remove makeup, it is just a cleanser, not a makeup remover. So if you wear sunscreen, foundation, eye shadow during the day you will automatically need to use a makeup remover prior to using this. Unless you are using this in the morning. My next issue (and probably the reason that using this leaves me with even more dry and flaky skin) is the inclusion of SLS - which is a harsh cleansing ingredient that many people have irritation and reactions to. This ingredient isn't good for skin, but thankfully this is a rinse off product so most of this will go down the drain. Another potential issue is the inclusion of several parabens for preserving the ingredients. I prefer to avoid using products that contain them when I can. The Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser just has more con's than it does pro's. My video review can be seen here:

on 10/13/2018 9:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This one's a classic for a reason. Dirt cheap, nice and gentle, and very effective for what it is. It won't remove makeup (because it's a cleanser, not a makeup remover) and it's sitting at a pH of 6.8 or so which isn't exactly optimal for the face, but even so this was my favorite cleanser for years back in the dark ages when sensitive-skin-friendly options were thin on the ground. Nowadays we have so many more choices, but while I have found a handful of cleansers I like more (Aquanil, the Vanicream bar, Hada Labo's gentle cleanser), you could still do a helluva lot worse than good old Cetaphil. If your skin is going nuts, take a step back from the fancy additives and active ingredients and give a basic product like this one a try. You might be surprised by how much your skin calms down.

on 9/25/2018 4:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Bought a small bottle. This doesn't foam... Despite there being SLS present, looks almost identical to snot, and doesn't make my face feel even remotely clean. Just imagine trying to wash your face with a slippery, non-foaming goo. Not nice. Left some kind of film too. Every time I used this, I couldn't resistent washing with something else after

on 2/19/2018 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Very gentle. My sensitive acne prone face feels calmer and soothed when I use it. Unfortunately it gave me clogged pores. Now I am using it as a hair product to tame my flyaways because hair products usually break me out. I really wanted to like this product.

on 1/26/2018 11:58:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I think they changed the formula. It used to be a milky color, now its clear and really dries out my skin. Bummer, I have a whole unused bottle.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I would never use this product if I wore makeup that day. It does not remove makeup, but since the product is incredibly gentle, I use it after washing my face with my other cleanser, around my eyes, to make sure there is no mascara residue left. But even then, it doesn't do a great job. So, no... It's not great for my oily and somewhat problematic skin. It doesn't break me out, though.

However, I would only advise using this in the morning, when you don't have a lot of dirt on your face to clean. Don't ever only use this before sleeping if you wore the slightest bit of face makeup (concealer, blush, powder, foundation) during the day, because I doubt this product will remove it for you. Also, I don't enjoy the creamy texture of the cleanser, since it feels as if I am rubbing foamless shampoo on my face, with barely any results. For people who have oily skin, we usually need foam cleansers to get rid of all the built-up dirt.

This cleanser is ok but does very little to get rid of oil on your face i used it and at first my skin was okay i got one pimple but my sideburn area when i woke up was filled with acne crysts.

on 12/11/2017 8:39:00 PM

great product.
i was recommended this project by my doctor a few months ago for my acne and im incredibly happy with the results.
first of all, its an incredible value, i payed i think 15 dollars (Canadian) for this large container, it has an unoffensive barely there scent and doesnt irritate my sensitive skin. it also really helped with my acne without stripping my skin so thorougly of oils it feels tight. its excellent for removing makeup as well.
so overall the pros and cons are:
pros
unoffensive smell
good value
works well on sensitive skin
does'nt dry out skin
works well on acne prone skin
can be used to remove makeup

cons
not a super pretty bottle
so in conclusion i would absolutely recommend buying this, as its cheap and works well on all skin types.

on 12/4/2017 5:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have combination and sensitive skin- oily around my nose and cheeks near my nose as well. At the same time , my skin is flaky. I've tried numerous cleasers and they all seem to aggravate my skin. This cleanser is the only one that haven't caused my skin to be more flaky. However, i do have to wash my nose area up to 3 times to remove the oily feeling. Nevertheless, i love this product!

Update: i have stopped using this bc i started to break out from this -which has never happened before- and switched to Curel foaming wash as it cleans way btr!!