Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
No Title

3.5

on 1/5/2019 6:16:00 AM

In my opinion, there is simply nothing that compares with Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. Since I discovered it, 18 years ago, I used it off and on, mostly because I would get caught into some trends (micellar waters (didn't clean well enough and some are drying others are too greasy, LRP or Avene gentle cleansers, thinking that it would be "even better than Cetaphil", Clarins - almost all cleansers). However, for me LRP Toleriane and Avene cleanser both left some strange film that broke me out and also weren't effective, didn't clean as well as Cetaphil. I would always run back to Cetaphil to "save my skin".
Then some time ago I read that Charlize Theron uses Cetaphil because she "likes to keep the cleansing simple". And it made all the sense. In order to use all the creams, peelings etc that would actually make some difference in terms of aging etc. it's very important that the cleanser is:
-non-drying (you can cleanse with Cetaphil multiple times a day and it won't dry your skin)
-non-irritant
-non-comedogenic
-it needs to actually clean the skin well and NOT leave any film

So I finally decided it's over. I threw all the others cleansers away. Never looked back.

Just a few notes regarding how I use it (I see some people say it doesn't take their makeup off, which I find surprising).
PM:
First I wash and dry my hands, then I apply approx. 1-2 pumps on completely dry skin, massage into the makeup, and eyes. Take a cotton pad (1 or 2 depending on the amount of makeup) and then take it all off. Then I take 1-2 pumps more, and massage it into my face with circular motions for about 2 minutes, which turns Cetaphil cleanser white (this is as "foamy" as it will get, it's not really a foam).
Then I wash it all off with water and then gently pat dry with a clean towel.
After this I can apply any night cream (I use Cetaphil Rich Night cream or Clarins multi active night, or Clarins Blue Orchid Oil). Sometimes if I feel that my skin is moisturized enough, I would not apply any cream, I would let my skin breathe over night. I believe it's important to do this a few times a week, because I normally wear make up during the day.

AM
Apply on dry face, circular motions, wash off. Repeat if necessary or wanted. Then I apply a thin layer of serum (Vichy 89, Clarins Double Serum...), let it dry a bit and then I apply my makeup on (Lancome Teint Idole, Clarins Skin Illusion..)
I know it's recommended to use a moisturizer over serums, but I simply can't do it, as too many layers always feel like my skin is suffocating underneath and it also breaks me out in these small whiteheads that to me really seem as created by too much moisturizer.

I am a bit of skincare junkie and like to try new things, but I realized that experimenting should be done with the skincare that has actual active ingredients, and that cleanser's only function should be to clean effectively without irritating, drying or breaking the skin's moisture barrier. I really believe Cetaphil is amazing.

on 12/7/2018 4:42:00 AM

A dermatologist recommended this to me once and whenever I am low on funds or I need an interim cleanser, I reach for this - my good old reliable cleanser.
It's inexpensive, great value for money, I like the pump pack, and the cleanser itself is gentle but effective on my combination skin and sometimes irritable skin. I like that my whole family can use it. Only one concern - it's not that great at removing makeup. So if I am wearing makeup I'd use a makeup remover before I cleanse with it.
It's fragrance free and has a nice texture - you can massage it in, and either rinse off or use makeup pads.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

It doesn't remove makeup very easily and the consistency of this product is just so weird.It didn't make my skin any better.
Long story short,i have more than half way to go and decided to stop using it.Not sure what the hype was all about.

on 10/31/2018 6:09:00 AM

This is supposed to be a mild cleanser aimed at people with very dry sensitive skin but unfortunately it contains (SLS) so it is not a soap free cleanser. Now I’m in my mid thirties and I used to have a very sensitive dry skin with lots of breakouts and dry spots here and there . I started using Retin A which really saved my skin but I was suffering from the side effects which the former caused at the beginning and the cleanser I was using back then wasn’t helping. So as a result I turned to this cleanser which helped me a lot. I gave it only 3 lippies because as I said before the company is not being honest because they’re saying it is gentle enough to be used even for babies and people with dermatosis while it contains SLS which doesn’t make sense. Moreover it is really expensive in my country so I had to order it online from Iherb. Now many people are complaining because it is not effective when it comes to removing dirt, makeup, spf, etc, so here some tips to make the best out it. And believe me it does remove all types of makeup and dirts if used correctly. So first you need to apply it to dry a skin and message it gently in circular motions then using two wet cleaning sponges remove all the dirt and repeat this step until your face is squeaky clean. Remember this cleanser contains SLS so a finale step would be to splash some water allover your face to make sure no residues is left. Note: Cetaphil is way better than all Cerave’s fancy cleansers with so called beneficial ingredients. I also like to add I prefer using Olay age defying, Eucerin anti redness, Skin Medica and skii cleansers. They’re more gentle and really soap free.

on 10/30/2018 10:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I was recommended to wash my face with this cleanser while i was on a regular orracutane treatment over a year ago (i still use soap free cleansers and always will after finding how much softer they were on my skin). I did buy this several times, but the biggest problem was that even though most soap free cleansers don't foam much, especially face cleansers, this didn't foam up AT ALL. I would try it with my clarisonic and it didn't help remove my makeup or clean my face any better than just water. It would feel like i was rubbing gunk that didn't clean my skin or take my makeup off on my face. i wanted to like it with my dermatologist recommending it, and it being so readily available everywhere. I eventually found a better facial cleanser, it still doesn't foam up much, but does far more so than this one does, and you can see that it gently removes makeup, unlike this one did. It's harder to find, but far more useful in my opinion, and that was the qv gentle facial cleanser. I still use it to this day, even though i don't have acne or oil problems anymore, I've always had sensitive skin, and this is very good to my skin.

on 10/25/2018 11:09:00 PM

I know that when the Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser came out it was kind of a big deal for people to have the option to purchase an affordable, no frills, fragrance free face and body cleanser. I like to use products that have as little fragrance as possible so I thought this might be a good option. I'd tried this several years ago when my skin transitioned from normal to dry- very dry. No matter how many times I revisit this cleanser I always find myself disappointed. First of all, this does nothing to remove makeup, it is just a cleanser, not a makeup remover. So if you wear sunscreen, foundation, eye shadow during the day you will automatically need to use a makeup remover prior to using this. Unless you are using this in the morning. My next issue (and probably the reason that using this leaves me with even more dry and flaky skin) is the inclusion of SLS - which is a harsh cleansing ingredient that many people have irritation and reactions to. This ingredient isn't good for skin, but thankfully this is a rinse off product so most of this will go down the drain. Another potential issue is the inclusion of several parabens for preserving the ingredients. I prefer to avoid using products that contain them when I can. The Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser just has more con's than it does pro's. My video review can be seen here:

on 10/13/2018 9:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This one's a classic for a reason. Dirt cheap, nice and gentle, and very effective for what it is. It won't remove makeup (because it's a cleanser, not a makeup remover) and it's sitting at a pH of 6.8 or so which isn't exactly optimal for the face, but even so this was my favorite cleanser for years back in the dark ages when sensitive-skin-friendly options were thin on the ground. Nowadays we have so many more choices, but while I have found a handful of cleansers I like more, you could still do a helluva lot worse than good old Cetaphil. If your skin is going nuts, take a step back from the fancy additives and active ingredients and give a basic product like this one a try. You might be surprised by how much your skin calms down.

on 9/25/2018 4:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Bought a small bottle. This doesn't foam... Despite there being SLS present, looks almost identical to snot, and doesn't make my face feel even remotely clean. Just imagine trying to wash your face with a slippery, non-foaming goo. Not nice. Left some kind of film too. Every time I used this, I couldn't resist washing with something else after

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

This doesn't work on me despite so many people loving it. Break me out and I didn't feel clean. Might just be me though because so many people swear by it.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I was on the hunt for the perfect cleaser. I have normal/dry skin and live in a very dry climate, so most cleaners somehow are just too drying because it is a temperate desert here. Had a cleanser that I got in NY that worked beautifully there but dried me out once i got home.

This one of the few cleansers that does not make my skin feel tight after wards, and thats cool. I liked it at first. And then the break outs started. I have pretty clear skin naturally. I get the odd pimple, sometimes two or three. But never 10+ at a time.

And then I looked at the ingredients - WHO PUTS SLS IN A "GENTLE" SKIN CLEANSER?
Anyway, Sodium lauryl sulfate is really comedogenic and I don't need it on my face.