Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

No Title

3.5

1995 reviews

on 12/7/2018 4:42:00 AM

A dermatologist recommended this to me once and whenever I am low on funds or I need an interim cleanser, I reach for this - my good old reliable cleanser.
It's inexpensive, great value for money, I like the pump pack, and the cleanser itself is gentle but effective on my combination skin and sometimes irritable skin. I like that my whole family can use it. Only one concern - it's not that great at removing makeup. So if I am wearing makeup I'd use a makeup remover before I cleanse with it.
It's fragrance free and has a nice texture - you can massage it in, and either rinse off or use makeup pads.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

It doesn't remove makeup very easily and the consistency of this product is just so weird.It didn't make my skin any better.
Long story short,i have more than half way to go and decided to stop using it.Not sure what the hype was all about.

on 10/31/2018 6:09:00 AM

This is supposed to be a mild cleanser aimed at people with very dry sensitive skin but unfortunately it contains (SLS) so it is not a soap free cleanser. Now I’m in my mid thirties and I used to have a very sensitive dry skin with lots of breakouts and dry spots here and there . I started using Retin A which really saved my skin but I was suffering from the side effects which the former caused at the beginning and the cleanser I was using back then wasn’t helping. So as a result I turned to this cleanser which helped me a lot. I gave it only 3 lippies because as I said before the company is not being honest because they’re saying it is gentle enough to be used even for babies and people with dermatosis while it contains SLS which doesn’t make sense. Moreover it is really expensive in my country so I had to order it online from Iherb. Now many people are complaining because it is not effective when it comes to removing dirt, makeup, spf, etc, so here some tips to make the best out it. And believe me it does remove all types of makeup and dirts if used correctly. So first you need to apply it to dry a skin and message it gently in circular motions then using two wet cleaning sponges remove all the dirt and repeat this step until your face is squeaky clean. Remember this cleanser contains SLS so a finale step would be to splash some water allover your face to make sure no residues is left. Note: Cetaphil is way better than all Cerave’s fancy cleansers with so called beneficial ingredients. I also like to add I prefer using Olay age defying, Eucerin anti redness, Skin Medica and skii cleansers. They’re more gentle and really soap free.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Back in the days before I knew what SLS or parabens were, Cetaphil cleanser came highly recommended to me from a close friend who swore it helped reduce their skins oil production. It seemed plausible that my skin was actually dehydrated and therefore oil production was in over drive. Perhaps a really mild, non-foaming cleanser such as Cetaphil could help keep my skin hydrated and therefore less oily? Wrong! Turns out dehydration was not the cause of my super-oily skin and I know that from having used this and from years of investing in hydrating oil-free products: serums, sheet masks, moisturizers, you name it. I've come to realize there can be different reasons for excessive oil production and in my case luckily over the years it lessened. I do also recall this making my skin feel unclean, as though there was an oily film still on it. Thankfully I didn't experience any of the breakouts and redness others experienced - even though my skin is quite prone to acting up like that!

For those who may be dehydrated-oily, this may be worth a shot. Just keep in mind it does contain SLS and parabens and there are so many better (and milder) cleansers out there you could try instead.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(I've sampled many 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, as I love constantly trying out new stuff - usually sample sizes via e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora. Thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: Jack Black - Intense Therapy
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

on 6/21/2018 4:58:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

One of my family members confused it with CeraVe when shopping. For me it did nothing extraordinary but I didn’t hated it also.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I like this a lot and have already repurchased. I have rosacea so like to stay away from foaming cleansers. This feels like a lotion but washes off well, without drying out my face. It’s reasonably price me - £14.99 got me a ridiculously large bottle with a pump which is convenient and easy to use. I like that this is as plain as you can get but works well. No scent, no colour, no soap. This is my second cleanse after Body Shop camomile cleansing balm and my skin is lovely. Still red, but otherwise in good condition.

This is a lot of people’s HG. Not me. I’m in my late 20s, have small amount of hormonal acne, occasional blackheads, and stupid combo (dry/oily/sometimes both at the same time) skin. I was using harsh chemicals, then tried light chemical exfoliants. My skin didn’t get worse or better. It just sat in the same limbo as the last 7 years.
I didn’t want to drop $12 on a bottle of plain face cleanser, but reviews pushed me to. I bought the face wash and matching lotion. It is light to no smell, has an ok foaming if you want it to, and seems gentle (no burning). I don’t wear foundation 99% of the time, so I can’t say how it removes that, but it removes eye makeup with two washes. My skin didn’t feel very tight after using, but I still needed to use lotion. I only used it in my dry spots.
Woke up in the morning, entire face was an oil spill. Had to wash it instead of wipe it. Repeated this for the next month and a half/2 months. I’ve had some acne pop up that wasn’t hormonal. I have basically ditched the lotion for my old moisturizer. Sadly the moisturizer isn’t good enough for winter legs and hands. Even without the lotion, my face is left oily in a few hours. I’ve been pressuring my perfect skin SO and son to use it to wash their butts (or whatever boys do in the shower, haha). I don’t hate it, but it just doesn’t do anything remarkable. It barely does its job. Amazon had glowing reviews, should have checked MUA first!

I wanted to love this product, but honestly there's so many chemicals in it and it makes me feel like I have to wash my face after I use it. I wish they made a version that didn't have all these chemicals in it.

This cleanser is too hyped up for what it is. It doesn’t cleanse properly! Even for winter months when I can’t use harsh cleansers, this is still too “gentle”. It 100% leaves all makeup and mascara still on. Even on a bare face, I get nose blackheads within days of using this because it doesn’t really clean well. Not sure who’d like this cleanser except people with extremely sensitive skin. Will not repurchase! There are better non-fragranced gentle cleansers on the market that clean. I use this to clean my cartilage ear piercing now.

on 12/11/2017 8:39:00 PM

great product.
i was recommended this project by my doctor a few months ago for my acne and im incredibly happy with the results.
first of all, its an incredible value, i payed i think 15 dollars (Canadian) for this large container, it has an unoffensive barely there scent and doesnt irritate my sensitive skin. it also really helped with my acne without stripping my skin so thorougly of oils it feels tight. its excellent for removing makeup as well.
so overall the pros and cons are:
pros
unoffensive smell
good value
works well on sensitive skin
does'nt dry out skin
works well on acne prone skin
can be used to remove makeup

cons
not a super pretty bottle
so in conclusion i would absolutely recommend buying this, as its cheap and works well on all skin types.