Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Filtered by skin type : Normal
Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.6

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I was on the hunt for the perfect cleaser. I have normal/dry skin and live in a very dry climate, so most cleaners somehow are just too drying because it is a temperate desert here. Had a cleanser that I got in NY that worked beautifully there but dried me out once i got home.

This one of the few cleansers that does not make my skin feel tight after wards, and thats cool. I liked it at first. And then the break outs started. I have pretty clear skin naturally. I get the odd pimple, sometimes two or three. But never 10+ at a time.

And then I looked at the ingredients - WHO PUTS SLS IN A "GENTLE" SKIN CLEANSER?
Anyway, Sodium lauryl sulfate is really comedogenic and I don't need it on my face.

For the life of me I do not understand why this is such a popular adored cleanser!? This cleanser contains the big bad wolf ingredient that all the natural and organic freaks like to point out all the time, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate! How contradictory are some people?

I am not a fan of it's gloppy texture, this is what one could call a lipid free cleanser although it contains one surfactant, SLS. It really is only suitable for a morning cleanse as it doesnt not foam at all and has no real cleansing ability, it can't even remove a full face of make up. Those who wear light makeup might like it but I just dont see what the issue is with this cleanser. Along with other overpriced Cetaphil products I don't see the big deal about this collection. For those who are truly sensitive and are looking for something more substantial in terms of both cleansing power and moisturisation, look no further than CeraVe. Much better formulas, decently priced and well tolerated. Both companies GALDERMA owns Cetaphil... CeraVe as of last year was purchased by L'Oreal Paris who also own Maybelline, Garnier, Lancome, YSL BEAUTY, Giorgio Armani, NYX, Skinceuticals, La Roche Posay, and so on.

Due to L'Oreal Paris's ethics and the unprofessional business tactics I won't be purchasing anything from their sub brand or anything associated with them, even Nestle. I encourage people to join me in boycotting both NESTLE and L'OREAL PARIS until they come to their senses and come clear on some sort of transparency with their selling tactics in China to animal testing.

Your are not worth it, all you are to these big buys is $$$$$$$$$!

on 4/16/2018 7:50:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

Do not buy Cetaphil sold for the Australian market it is absolutely terrible. Have tried it a number of times over the years, the Australian version always causes my normal skin to become extremely dry and irritated and sometimes has caused terrible rashes. It stings badly, sometimes burns, there is nothing gentle about this cleanser. I tried it on my face twice never again, the other times were as a body wash. I do not have sensitive skin. I have also tried it in the UK, and had no problems whatsoever. Cerave cleansers are far superior and cause no problems whatsoever.

on 3/8/2018 1:16:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

My facialist warned me that this product has lots of fillers and parabens. I'm starting to care a lot more about my skin and the ingredients right now. I once tried Beautycounter because they are all natural, but some of the products don;t work as well. I tried Beauty By Design and it wa pretty cool because I was able to text with an esthetician and she matched me to a really great cleanser and moisturizer. They guarantee no harmful ingredients and natural skincare. It was def more expensive that what i used to spend, but now I know why sometimes you get what you pay for

on 12/20/2017 1:30:00 PM

I got to try this cleanser out in 2 small travel size that some left @ my house & I think 💭 this was a fairly decent cleanser 👍 I got to try it for about 2 weeks time!& it's a big departure from all my bar soaps cleansers I have been recently using from both almay & Clinique!
It was a refreshing change not to be stripping my face squeaky clean & dry Bc that's the norm for me since I have fairly greasy skin!
But this cleanser is different! it's a lotion texture & still cleans very good but doesn't over strip your skin like a bar soap would do!

I honestly feel that this cleanser would be appropriate for all skin types & I really liked it was fragrance free 👍!

Update:
I wear contact lens.
As a habit, I discovered, I wash my hands with Cetaphil before inserting my contacts.

My contacts are in my bathroom by the sink and mirror. Germs thrive in bathrooms and hand soap is kept by the sink for washing.

Did you ever get handsoap in your eyes? I used to wash my hands with soap and water and then insert my lens.
OMG the burn!!!

I discovered, the other day when my Cetaphil bottle was empty, I wash my hands with Cetaphil after I use soap and water. The Cetaphil neutralizes the sting of soap on my contacts.

You can rinse and rinse your contacts with wetting solution but that one finger may have just a tad of soap lingering on it.

Right now, my right eye lid is clamped shut and watering from soap sting.

Using Cetaphil as I described is not suggested or endorsed on label. It's something I have been doing forever and it works for me.

Previous review:
Just picked up 3 pack from Sam's to avoid making mistake of buying "compare to Cetaphil" product merchandised next to Cetaphil on retail shelf. Dermatologist recommended brand when I was on heavy acne medication. I strayed away but always return. I use to remove makeup and eye makeup. It doesn't sting eyes. Everyone is different and I appreciate reading the reviews.

So, I really actually like this product. I wear long-lasting foundation sometimes, but it's gotten rid of most of it, as far as I can tell. One thing I'd suggest to those who say it doesn't remove all your makeup, try steaming your face with a warm/hot washcloth first before using this. It'll open your pores and make it easier for the cleanser to get all up in there, ha. I have combination, sensitive skin that generally gets SUPER duper tight after washing, but I haven't had any issues when I use this.

The only reason I'm giving it four lippies is because the ingredients- which include several parabens & other ingredients (propene glycol) which have been scientifically proven and/or suspected of being linked to a lot of health issues. :/ Sucks, because I really enjoy this cleanser. I will use this up & try to find another gentle cleanser, but I won't be repurchasing for these reasons.

on 11/19/2016 8:00:00 AM

Might be the unpopular opinion here but I don't see any good in this cleanser.

Claims to be gentle but strips moisture like no other, my friend who use this had an extremely serious break out, full face. Can't 100% credit to this product but it definitely played a part. I have normal, clear skin myself, and have no problem with any cleansers in the past.

Even though it didn't break me out, I feel like Kiehl's ultra facial cleanser works much better in terms of gentleness and effect. It's such a large bottle and i lost interest in commiting already.

on 10/3/2016 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I have been a fan of this product since I was 11 before the repackaging. I use it off and on and more likely on when I get really bad reaction to a skincare product I use.

I have used this as a makeup remover, cleanser and cleanser for my sponges. It's effective though I tend to use up a lot of it when taking off makeup.

I like the packaging with the pump because it gives you the enough amount you need and it keeps the product fresh.

It's one of the few products that I don't get breakouts or allergies with, that's why I like it a lot.

on 8/4/2016 6:07:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I love this cleanser and I just got my second bottle. I prefer to spend money on serums and oils than on a liquid that goes down the drain and does not actually do work on my skin.

So this Cetaphil product is basically all I want from a cleanser:
+ very gentle
+ very effective in taking off all the dirt and grime from the day, but it is not adept at removing make up (it is nevertheless not intended for that)
+ does not leave my skin feeling tight or dry
+ non-foaming
+ inexpensive
+ my best friend, who has been on heavy duty acne treatment (think 6% Benzol Peroxide in the morning and 2% Retinoid in the evening for months) uses this and loves it! Which proves that even the most sensitive and damaged skin can use it

I would even boldly compare this product to other more expensive, but not high-end, cleansers that I have tried including Merumaya, La Roche Posay, Avene, First Aid Beauty, and I dare to say that it does better job for my skin than those mentioned.

Some people have an issue with one of the ingredients: Sodium Lauryl Suplhate, but I personally don't and I think one should not be worried, because although it is considered to be an irritant surfactant, it is in tiny quantities in this cleanser, in fact less than 1%. But if you have experienced problems with this ingredient, just be aware of its presence.

Overall, this cleanser is an excellent value for money and a mild, yet effective product!