Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This was literally the only face cleanser I could use during puberty. Everything else made my poor crazy sensitive, acne prone skin break out, flake, burn, etc. My skin has calmed down a bit since then, but this is still a go to for me. It is extremely gentle and my skin isn't unbearably tight post wash. (Note: I still use a moisturizer afterwards.) I wouldn't use it to remove makeup as it's a little too gentle. Definitely supplement it with an actual makeup remover or oil cleanser if you painted your face that day. For everyday use, however, I like it a lot.

For the life of me I do not understand why this is such a popular adored cleanser!? This cleanser contains the big bad wolf ingredient that all the natural and organic freaks like to point out all the time, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate! How contradictory are some people?

I am not a fan of it's gloppy texture, this is what one could call a lipid free cleanser although it contains one surfactant, SLS. It really is only suitable for a morning cleanse as it doesnt not foam at all and has no real cleansing ability, it can't even remove a full face of make up. Those who wear light makeup might like it but I just dont see what the issue is with this cleanser. Along with other overpriced Cetaphil products I don't see the big deal about this collection. For those who are truly sensitive and are looking for something more substantial in terms of both cleansing power and moisturisation, look no further than CeraVe. Much better formulas, decently priced and well tolerated. Both companies GALDERMA owns Cetaphil... CeraVe as of last year was purchased by L'Oreal Paris who also own Maybelline, Garnier, Lancome, YSL BEAUTY, Giorgio Armani, NYX, Skinceuticals, La Roche Posay, and so on.

Due to L'Oreal Paris's ethics and the unprofessional business tactics I won't be purchasing anything from their sub brand or anything associated with them, even Nestle. I encourage people to join me in boycotting both NESTLE and L'OREAL PARIS until they come to their senses and come clear on some sort of transparency with their selling tactics in China to animal testing.

Your are not worth it, all you are to these big buys is $$$$$$$$$!

I have normal/oily acne prone skin that is prone to dehydration and my skin overproduce oil when it is dehydrated. My skin also is very reactive to cleansers and this one gives me horrible acne and cystic acne. I am thankful it works for so many but it doesn’t work at all for me. I dont wear make up and this still feel very hard to rinse clean.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I like this a lot and have already repurchased. I have rosacea so like to stay away from foaming cleansers. This feels like a lotion but washes off well, without drying out my face. It’s reasonably price me - £14.99 got me a ridiculously large bottle with a pump which is convenient and easy to use. I like that this is as plain as you can get but works well. No scent, no colour, no soap. This is my second cleanse after Body Shop camomile cleansing balm and my skin is lovely. Still red, but otherwise in good condition.

This is a lot of people’s HG. Not me. I’m in my late 20s, have small amount of hormonal acne, occasional blackheads, and stupid combo (dry/oily/sometimes both at the same time) skin. I was using harsh chemicals, then tried light chemical exfoliants. My skin didn’t get worse or better. It just sat in the same limbo as the last 7 years.
I didn’t want to drop $12 on a bottle of plain face cleanser, but reviews pushed me to. I bought the face wash and matching lotion. It is light to no smell, has an ok foaming if you want it to, and seems gentle (no burning). I don’t wear foundation 99% of the time, so I can’t say how it removes that, but it removes eye makeup with two washes. My skin didn’t feel very tight after using, but I still needed to use lotion. I only used it in my dry spots.
Woke up in the morning, entire face was an oil spill. Had to wash it instead of wipe it. Repeated this for the next month and a half/2 months. I’ve had some acne pop up that wasn’t hormonal. I have basically ditched the lotion for my old moisturizer. Sadly the moisturizer isn’t good enough for winter legs and hands. Even without the lotion, my face is left oily in a few hours. I’ve been pressuring my perfect skin SO and son to use it to wash their butts (or whatever boys do in the shower, haha). I don’t hate it, but it just doesn’t do anything remarkable. It barely does its job. Amazon had glowing reviews, should have checked MUA first!

on 12/11/2017 4:13:00 AM

I've been using this cleanser for over 10 years! I always go back to it because it's gentle and it works. It effectively removes make up and sunscreen, and doesn't leave my face feeling tight and irritated. That's evrything I'm looking for in a cleanser.
Sometimes if I want a deep clean, I'll pair it with the Dove bar soap for sensitive skin.

on 10/22/2017 3:52:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I rarely review skin care or cleanser for that matter, but since I really didn't had a good experience with this product I thought I could leave my thoughts here.

I have acne pretty easily sadly, after seeing adds of this product and so many reviews of people enjoying it I choosed to give it a go.
I was extremely disappointed to say the least. I used it for more than 6 months because I really wanted to give it a solid try, but this product only gave me more acne and made my skin even more sensitive. After stopping using it I started to have less acne and my skin came back to normal.

So, maybe it's because I have a combo skin type that it didn't worked for me.
But over all I do not recomend it, and I wil certainly not buy it again!

Love Cetaphil Skin Cleanser! So gentle on me, and well priced given how big the bottle is. I have eczema and this is one of the only washes I can use. I've been a loyal Cetaphil user for over 4 years.

on 10/6/2017 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This cleanser is my new best friend. It's the type of product I would've shied away from before, because it doesn't feel like your typical cleanser. It's cream based and doesn't foam up. It doesn't leave my skin feeling squeaky clean, a feeling I used to associate with a cleanser doing its job. Now I know better, and understand that the dry tightness most cleansers leave me with isn't good. By contrast, this cleanser leaves my skin feeling smooth and supple.

I usually double-cleanse in the evening to take off make-up and the day's grime. I rinse with water and moisturize afterwards. In the morning, I find cleansing once is enough. On the back of the bottle it says you don't have to rinse it off - it's fine to leave on. I was skeptical, but during a vacation I found myself without a sink for a week (what a fun surprise!) and tried it. I was expecting to break out like crazy, and was really pleased to see that my skin didn't react at all!

I feel like the price for Cetaphil can be a little steep, depending on where you shop. If you wait for sales, you can usually get a pretty good deal. A lot of stores also make their own store brand with the exact same ingredients, and the ones I've tried have been pretty good too.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I saw my first dermatologist when I was 9 because of severe acne. At his office there were a ton of cetaphil samples, and he recommended this face wash. I used this for years. Finally I switched to Clean & Clear (Deep Action Face Wash) and my skin immediately improved. My face was brighter and I had less acne. I think Cetaphil made my break outs worse because it uses a lot of SLS, which is comedogenic & irritating to the skin.

This facial wash just does not cut it. Especially if you have oily skin or wear makeup. I've heard the company who owns this facial wash, Galderma, pays dermatologists to promote Cetaphil (I'm not sure if this is true! I do wonder why my derm as so many samples though). Galderma has created great products (such as differin & tri luma), but there are many other excellent facial washes. Aveeno Moisturizing Facial Bar, Clinique Facial Bar, Clean & Clear, & Olay all have great facial washes for around the same price or lower. If you use Cetaphil I dare you to try another facial wash for a few weeks--I bet your skin will improve.