Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

ITS ALSO VERY GOOD REFRESHER FOR DARK -SKINNED PEOPLE

on 1/5/2019 6:16:00 AM

In my opinion, there is simply nothing that compares with Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. Since I discovered it, 18 years ago, I used it off and on, mostly because I would get caught into some trends (micellar waters (didn't clean well enough and some are drying others are too greasy, LRP or Avene gentle cleansers, thinking that it would be "even better than Cetaphil", Clarins - almost all cleansers). However, for me LRP Toleriane and Avene cleanser both left some strange film that broke me out and also weren't effective, didn't clean as well as Cetaphil. I would always run back to Cetaphil to "save my skin".
Then some time ago I read that Charlize Theron uses Cetaphil because she "likes to keep the cleansing simple". And it made all the sense. In order to use all the creams, peelings etc that would actually make some difference in terms of aging etc. it's very important that the cleanser is:
-non-drying (you can cleanse with Cetaphil multiple times a day and it won't dry your skin)
-non-irritant
-non-comedogenic
-it needs to actually clean the skin well and NOT leave any film

So I finally decided it's over. I threw all the others cleansers away. Never looked back.

Just a few notes regarding how I use it (I see some people say it doesn't take their makeup off, which I find surprising).
PM:
First I wash and dry my hands, then I apply approx. 1-2 pumps on completely dry skin, massage into the makeup, and eyes. Take a cotton pad (1 or 2 depending on the amount of makeup) and then take it all off. Then I take 1-2 pumps more, and massage it into my face with circular motions for about 2 minutes, which turns Cetaphil cleanser white (this is as "foamy" as it will get, it's not really a foam).
Then I wash it all off with water and then gently pat dry with a clean towel.
After this I can apply any night cream (I use Cetaphil Rich Night cream or Clarins multi active night, or Clarins Blue Orchid Oil). Sometimes if I feel that my skin is moisturized enough, I would not apply any cream, I would let my skin breathe over night. I believe it's important to do this a few times a week, because I normally wear make up during the day.

AM
Apply on dry face, circular motions, wash off. Repeat if necessary or wanted. Then I apply a thin layer of serum (Vichy 89, Clarins Double Serum...), let it dry a bit and then I apply my makeup on (Lancome Teint Idole, Clarins Skin Illusion..)
I know it's recommended to use a moisturizer over serums, but I simply can't do it, as too many layers always feel like my skin is suffocating underneath and it also breaks me out in these small whiteheads that to me really seem as created by too much moisturizer.

I am a bit of skincare junkie and like to try new things, but I realized that experimenting should be done with the skincare that has actual active ingredients, and that cleanser's only function should be to clean effectively without irritating, drying or breaking the skin's moisture barrier. I really believe Cetaphil is amazing.

on 10/31/2018 6:09:00 AM

This is supposed to be a mild cleanser aimed at people with very dry sensitive skin but unfortunately it contains (SLS) so it is not a soap free cleanser. Now I’m in my mid thirties and I used to have a very sensitive dry skin with lots of breakouts and dry spots here and there . I started using Retin A which really saved my skin but I was suffering from the side effects which the former caused at the beginning and the cleanser I was using back then wasn’t helping. So as a result I turned to this cleanser which helped me a lot. I gave it only 3 lippies because as I said before the company is not being honest because they’re saying it is gentle enough to be used even for babies and people with dermatosis while it contains SLS which doesn’t make sense. Moreover it is really expensive in my country so I had to order it online from Iherb. Now many people are complaining because it is not effective when it comes to removing dirt, makeup, spf, etc, so here some tips to make the best out it. And believe me it does remove all types of makeup and dirts if used correctly. So first you need to apply it to dry a skin and message it gently in circular motions then using two wet cleaning sponges remove all the dirt and repeat this step until your face is squeaky clean. Remember this cleanser contains SLS so a finale step would be to splash some water allover your face to make sure no residues is left. Note: Cetaphil is way better than all Cerave’s fancy cleansers with so called beneficial ingredients. I also like to add I prefer using Olay age defying, Eucerin anti redness, Skin Medica and skii cleansers. They’re more gentle and really soap free.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I was on the hunt for the perfect cleaser. I have normal/dry skin and live in a very dry climate, so most cleaners somehow are just too drying because it is a temperate desert here. Had a cleanser that I got in NY that worked beautifully there but dried me out once i got home.

This one of the few cleansers that does not make my skin feel tight after wards, and thats cool. I liked it at first. And then the break outs started. I have pretty clear skin naturally. I get the odd pimple, sometimes two or three. But never 10+ at a time.

And then I looked at the ingredients - WHO PUTS SLS IN A "GENTLE" SKIN CLEANSER?
Anyway, Sodium lauryl sulfate is really comedogenic and I don't need it on my face.

on 8/4/2018 2:51:00 PM

I love the packaging. It has a pump that shuts and opens. I love that it doesn’t cause acne. It’s pretty safe when it comes to PH as well. Not too drying. I have been using it for years. I use as directed on the back of the bottle. I do not wet my face first. I apply it, rub, then rinse off. I tried using it without water and I became itchy after awhile. I like this for body and face and use the same method. What I don’t like about this is that it can be drying, but I have not found anything else that is less drying. I continue to use it!

Wow! Never used a product and seen so immediate results! I have dry skin and cleansers usually make my skin red. Before I started using this cleanser I simply accepted that on my dry skin all cleansers would do this. But not this one hell to the no. Over the few weeks of using this have I seen my facial redness reduce drastically, I don't even have to use color corrector anymore.
Over all brilliant product tho you may have to use slightly more product to remove all your makeup since it is so gentle, but for me that is a price worth paying.
Definitely recommend!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This was literally the only face cleanser I could use during puberty. Everything else made my poor crazy sensitive, acne prone skin break out, flake, burn, etc. My skin has calmed down a bit since then, but this is still a go to for me. It is extremely gentle and my skin isn't unbearably tight post wash. (Note: I still use a moisturizer afterwards.) I wouldn't use it to remove makeup as it's a little too gentle. Definitely supplement it with an actual makeup remover or oil cleanser if you painted your face that day. For everyday use, however, I like it a lot.

For the life of me I do not understand why this is such a popular adored cleanser!? This cleanser contains the big bad wolf ingredient that all the natural and organic freaks like to point out all the time, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate! How contradictory are some people?

I am not a fan of it's gloppy texture, this is what one could call a lipid free cleanser although it contains one surfactant, SLS. It really is only suitable for a morning cleanse as it doesnt not foam at all and has no real cleansing ability, it can't even remove a full face of make up. Those who wear light makeup might like it but I just dont see what the issue is with this cleanser. Along with other overpriced Cetaphil products I don't see the big deal about this collection. For those who are truly sensitive and are looking for something more substantial in terms of both cleansing power and moisturisation, look no further than CeraVe. Much better formulas, decently priced and well tolerated. Both companies GALDERMA owns Cetaphil... CeraVe as of last year was purchased by L'Oreal Paris who also own Maybelline, Garnier, Lancome, YSL BEAUTY, Giorgio Armani, NYX, Skinceuticals, La Roche Posay, and so on.

Due to L'Oreal Paris's ethics and the unprofessional business tactics I won't be purchasing anything from their sub brand or anything associated with them, even Nestle. I encourage people to join me in boycotting both NESTLE and L'OREAL PARIS until they come to their senses and come clear on some sort of transparency with their selling tactics in China to animal testing.

Your are not worth it, all you are to these big buys is $$$$$$$$$!

I have normal/oily acne prone skin that is prone to dehydration and my skin overproduce oil when it is dehydrated. My skin also is very reactive to cleansers and this one gives me horrible acne and cystic acne. I am thankful it works for so many but it doesn’t work at all for me. I dont wear make up and this still feel very hard to rinse clean.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I like this a lot and have already repurchased. I have rosacea so like to stay away from foaming cleansers. This feels like a lotion but washes off well, without drying out my face. It’s reasonably price me - £14.99 got me a ridiculously large bottle with a pump which is convenient and easy to use. I like that this is as plain as you can get but works well. No scent, no colour, no soap. This is my second cleanse after Body Shop camomile cleansing balm and my skin is lovely. Still red, but otherwise in good condition.