Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
No Title

3.5

on 1/5/2019 6:16:00 AM

In my opinion, there is simply nothing that compares with Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. Since I discovered it, 18 years ago, I used it off and on, mostly because I would get caught into some trends (micellar waters (didn't clean well enough and some are drying others are too greasy, LRP or Avene gentle cleansers, thinking that it would be "even better than Cetaphil", Clarins - almost all cleansers). However, for me LRP Toleriane and Avene cleanser both left some strange film that broke me out and also weren't effective, didn't clean as well as Cetaphil. I would always run back to Cetaphil to "save my skin".
Then some time ago I read that Charlize Theron uses Cetaphil because she "likes to keep the cleansing simple". And it made all the sense. In order to use all the creams, peelings etc that would actually make some difference in terms of aging etc. it's very important that the cleanser is:
-non-drying (you can cleanse with Cetaphil multiple times a day and it won't dry your skin)
-non-irritant
-non-comedogenic
-it needs to actually clean the skin well and NOT leave any film

So I finally decided it's over. I threw all the others cleansers away. Never looked back.

Just a few notes regarding how I use it (I see some people say it doesn't take their makeup off, which I find surprising).
PM:
First I wash and dry my hands, then I apply approx. 1-2 pumps on completely dry skin, massage into the makeup, and eyes. Take a cotton pad (1 or 2 depending on the amount of makeup) and then take it all off. Then I take 1-2 pumps more, and massage it into my face with circular motions for about 2 minutes, which turns Cetaphil cleanser white (this is as "foamy" as it will get, it's not really a foam).
Then I wash it all off with water and then gently pat dry with a clean towel.
After this I can apply any night cream (I use Cetaphil Rich Night cream or Clarins multi active night, or Clarins Blue Orchid Oil). Sometimes if I feel that my skin is moisturized enough, I would not apply any cream, I would let my skin breathe over night. I believe it's important to do this a few times a week, because I normally wear make up during the day.

AM
Apply on dry face, circular motions, wash off. Repeat if necessary or wanted. Then I apply a thin layer of serum (Vichy 89, Clarins Double Serum...), let it dry a bit and then I apply my makeup on (Lancome Teint Idole, Clarins Skin Illusion..)
I know it's recommended to use a moisturizer over serums, but I simply can't do it, as too many layers always feel like my skin is suffocating underneath and it also breaks me out in these small whiteheads that to me really seem as created by too much moisturizer.

I am a bit of skincare junkie and like to try new things, but I realized that experimenting should be done with the skincare that has actual active ingredients, and that cleanser's only function should be to clean effectively without irritating, drying or breaking the skin's moisture barrier. I really believe Cetaphil is amazing.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I like this a lot and have already repurchased. I have rosacea so like to stay away from foaming cleansers. This feels like a lotion but washes off well, without drying out my face. It’s reasonably price me - £14.99 got me a ridiculously large bottle with a pump which is convenient and easy to use. I like that this is as plain as you can get but works well. No scent, no colour, no soap. This is my second cleanse after Body Shop camomile cleansing balm and my skin is lovely. Still red, but otherwise in good condition.

on 1/25/2018 1:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Honestly, this is the best skin cleanser for my sensitive oily and acne-prone skin. At first, I hated this cleanser bcs it will make my skin super oily after 3-4 hours, and switched to several cleansers after that.. COSRX Low PH Mild Morning Cleanser and Innisfree Cleansers...but these made my skin even worse, I had to bear with the stripping feeling everytime I washed my face, and my skin became more sensitive.. in the end, this cetaphil cleanser saved me... this is the only cleanser ive used so far that is super-duper mild for my skin type. I would totally not change my cleanser again

on 12/11/2017 8:39:00 PM

great product.
i was recommended this project by my doctor a few months ago for my acne and im incredibly happy with the results.
first of all, its an incredible value, i payed i think 15 dollars (Canadian) for this large container, it has an unoffensive barely there scent and doesnt irritate my sensitive skin. it also really helped with my acne without stripping my skin so thorougly of oils it feels tight. its excellent for removing makeup as well.
so overall the pros and cons are:
pros
unoffensive smell
good value
works well on sensitive skin
does'nt dry out skin
works well on acne prone skin
can be used to remove makeup

cons
not a super pretty bottle
so in conclusion i would absolutely recommend buying this, as its cheap and works well on all skin types.

on 12/11/2017 4:13:00 AM

I've been using this cleanser for over 10 years! I always go back to it because it's gentle and it works. It effectively removes make up and sunscreen, and doesn't leave my face feeling tight and irritated. That's evrything I'm looking for in a cleanser.
Sometimes if I want a deep clean, I'll pair it with the Dove bar soap for sensitive skin.

on 11/5/2017 4:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I use this as my second step cleanser. It’s so gentle just like the name says. My skin feels so good and hydrated after I use it; although, I do have oily skin. I also use it in the mornings to cleanse and again, it’s not drying. The pump dispenser is also huge plus for me. I’d definitely buy this again!
Update- CVS constantly has deals on Cetaphil, so another win for me!

Love Cetaphil Skin Cleanser! So gentle on me, and well priced given how big the bottle is. I have eczema and this is one of the only washes I can use. I've been a loyal Cetaphil user for over 4 years.

I used to hate this product. I thought it wasn't doing anything to my skin but when I started to do double cleansing, (The Face Shop Cleansing Milk as the first step) I thought I should use something mild for the second step so I bought this again. (I also use Epiduo to treat my acne) Now my skin feels soft and I rarely get acne anymore, I just have some acne scars left.

I 100% recommend this for people with sensitive skin.

on 10/6/2017 1:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This cleanser is my new best friend. It's the type of product I would've shied away from before, because it doesn't feel like your typical cleanser. It's cream based and doesn't foam up. It doesn't leave my skin feeling squeaky clean, a feeling I used to associate with a cleanser doing its job. Now I know better, and understand that the dry tightness most cleansers leave me with isn't good. By contrast, this cleanser leaves my skin feeling smooth and supple.

I usually double-cleanse in the evening to take off make-up and the day's grime. I rinse with water and moisturize afterwards. In the morning, I find cleansing once is enough. On the back of the bottle it says you don't have to rinse it off - it's fine to leave on. I was skeptical, but during a vacation I found myself without a sink for a week (what a fun surprise!) and tried it. I was expecting to break out like crazy, and was really pleased to see that my skin didn't react at all!

I feel like the price for Cetaphil can be a little steep, depending on where you shop. If you wait for sales, you can usually get a pretty good deal. A lot of stores also make their own store brand with the exact same ingredients, and the ones I've tried have been pretty good too.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I use this as my morning cleanser and it is my holy grail cleanser before I apply makeup. It does not dry up my already dry skin and is amazing at leaving my skin feeling clean and refreshed when I start the day. I don't use it as a makeup remover nor a night cleanser but when I use it in the morning, I am in love.