Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

No Title

3.8

on 12/5/2003 8:15:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

So, okay, I'll add a review! It's a great product for me. I like using it as a makeup remover when I can't be near a sink, such as when I'm camping OR when I am too tired to do a proper face wash before bed. I put a little on a tissue, and wipe my face perfectly clean and dry, no need to rinse. It's also AWESOME as a shaving cream for my legs! Again, I don't even need to use water to shave with Cetaphil. It leaves my legs super soft. Very nice price, too! Two thumbs up for Cetaphil!! I noticed other reviewers said that it doesn't work well as a make up remover for them. I guess I'm lucky or something because it totally does the trick for me.

on 3/2/2005 4:19:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I have superdry skin... always have. I have used every kind of cleanser, and they all stripped my skin. This was rec'd to me by a friend who has eczema and her dermie told her to use it. My face feels very clean after using this, and not a bit stripped. As for it removing makeup... my friend forgot to use Cetaphil once and used Clinique's Rinse-off Foaming Cleanser. Horrified, she reached for Cetaphil, thinking it would calm her skin. Well, she removed even MORE makeup w/the Cetaphil after the Clinique stuff. Uck. If you're having problems getting all of your makeup off w/this, I recommend really massaging it in for about 20 seconds... it does need time to emulsify the crud. I use it every night(use KMF Olive Oil bar soap in the shower in the AM), and my skin is no longer screamingly dry. I bought two huge 20 oz bottles at Costco and will use it until I die. Do not expect foaming action or squeaky clean feeling. I use Neutrogena's Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover first, then use this after it to get the last traces of mascara. No more raccoon eyes in the AM.

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Horrible! Touted as perfect for sensitive skin etc? i think NOT!
After a couple of days using this, i ended up with a freakin' Stye in each eye!! i've never had Styes before, and immediately after ceasing use - i haven't had them again!
Will never ever repurchase. i had my doubts in the beginning looking at the chemical ingredients - but was swayed by the whole dermatologist recommendation etc etc.
Total bunk! continued >>

on 3/30/2006 1:51:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

I understand the hype. I used this for years. However, I've noticed a sensitivity to SLS and I now no longer use any facial products with this ingredient. For those who are expecting this to be their miracle product, I've got news for you... it will not take off all your makeup because there isn't enough SLS in it to make it effective for total cleansing. It also won't solve the dry skin problem because it contains SLS. So there. If you can find a happy medium with it, good for you. It's too drying for me and consequently caused more breakouts. I'm finding mineral oil to work much better for me to help keep my skin hydrated and clear.

on 5/3/2009 12:50:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Great product. Super gentle on skin. You don't want to use harsh products to irritate your skin. That being sad, I have to admit that it is not strong enough to remove makeup for most females.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I read about Cetaphil skin cleanser, back in the early 90's. At the time, I was a teenager, and my skin was oily with acne. At that time, Cetaphil skin cleanser was the best product I found, for my skin. It even reduced blackheads I was prone to, at the time. Now, I am fifteen years older. My skin is very dry, and I have psoriasis. Cetaphil skin cleanser is still compatible with my extremely dry (and unhealthy) skin. Everyone I know who tries this product swears by it. I swear by it. Everyone who reviews it showers Cetaphil in accolades. This product is classic and very important. Plus, the price is low. What more could you ask for?

on 4/3/2010 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure

this is my very first mua review and i'm very excited!!!! i used this cleanser when i went on a missions trip to africa. we weren't able to regularly shower and needed a cleanser that everyone on our team could use. this was it. it's great bc it works just as well for oily skin and dry skin. i have to admit, it left a bit of a weird film on my skin afterward, but it did the trick it making me feel clean after a long day. i don't remember getting any breakouts from this either. now that i'm back at home, i use my regular cleanser, but i can see why this is widely popular!

on 1/23/2011 12:08:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium

PROS: this is a standard non-foaming cleaner for simply getting the skin clean when not wearing makeup; doesn't cause skin irritation, easy to rinse off, no coloring or fragrance.

CONS: price has gone up to about $18.99 CDN b4 taxes @ regular price when only a couple of years ago it used to be about $10.99 CDN b4 taxes @ regular price. The company changed the art work/logo of the bottle and simply jacked up the price by about $8 CDN, so I only buy it and stock up when it's on sale; packaging could be better without the pump for the 500ml bottle as it's difficult to get the last bit of product out; does not remove makeup even though it says it can be used as "gentle makeup remover that's gentle on eyes." This is not true whatsoever as my eyes do get irritated and I don't know of any makeup out there that would come off with this cleanser because it's not even a mildly strong cleanser at all.

For those who are looking to use this as a simple wipe off cleanser with a tissue or cloth, I think you will hate the feel of this cleanser left on skin. Although on the bottle it says you can wither rinse off with water or wipe off with cloth, this cleanser is NOT for simply wiping off. Otherwise you may find yourself with spots the next day and irritation. I've read a lot of people on here who had spots after using this product. I wonder if they rinsed it all off with water or wiped off with a cloth? I tried wiping off with a tissue but my face felt like it had watery glue afterwards and it was sticky. So you try and wipe some more but in doing so, you end up scraping and scraping your skin so you end up with a rather sore skin. It's supposed to be gentle but it's not if you want to wipe it off with a cloth. So please, I would advise anyone willing to try this out, to rinse off with water afterwards.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Cetaphil works best if you use it like you would use an oil cleanser: put it on dry skin, add a little water to emulsify and massage. I personally wash it off with lukewarm water instead of patting it off or wiping with a tissue.

I do use it plain to wipe off eye makeup either when I am too tired to do my whole nighttime routine or as a first step to my cleansing routine if I am wearing a lot of sunscreen or waterproof makeup. Cetaphil is too gentle to take off really tenacious waterproof or long-wear sunscreen or makeup, but does just fine with a light face, which is what I normally do.

When my skin freaks out (rosacea and sensitive skin), I only use this for a few days until it calms down again.

This is a solid, cheap product that is nice to have in your arsenal for backups and for everyday. If you like the gentleness and the texture of Cetaphil but want something a bit better at getting off heavy makeup, the Vichy 3 in 1 cleanser is nice. However the price point is higher and the difference in "strength" isn't enough to justify if you are in the US. In Europe Cetaphil and Vichy cost about the same.

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I use this in the mornings after waking up since I don't have makeup on. My skin is dry and cleansing it twice a day with water and foaming cleanser is too much for it. This product allows me to gently cleanse my face without water and drying out my skin.

I use the formula for gentle sensitive skin. I can't imagine using this as a primary cleanser to remove makeup as it is far too gentle. I notice since using it this way my skin is dewy and supple all day.