3.5

package quality

price range

Reviews

2 years ago

This is one of those weird fragrances where you put it on, and you can’t fully describe in words how you smell. I get a strong essence of pepper and that note stays with me throughout the day, with a touch of sweetness from the honey. Although unusual, I’ve gotten compliments on this scent anytime I’ve worn it out.

About reviewer (92 reviews)

SkinCombination, Other, Not Sure

HairBlack, Other, Other

EyesBlack

7 years ago

I live in a hot climate and cool days giving me a break from the boiling heat are cherished. Leaves are greener, the air fresher and things are dewy. On these days, I think of Poivre Piquant, an old instant love, which has now become a constant yearning- after I received another sample of it. I’ve always loved the smell of freshly ground peppers and here they are, very naked, very real. Only, if I didn’t know about the notes, I would think this is black pepper, which I especially love. Soon I get a waft of milk chocolate in the air, very approachable, as friendly as a cozy café where people are having hot chocolate on a cold day. It’s interesting that I can’t smell this chocolate at all on my own skin, but get pleasant wafts of it around. If someone asked me what would come after pepper, I would say mint and bitter chocolate but here is Duchaufour’s genius I think, he marvellously contrasts unexpected notes and still comes up with something lovely. Poivre Piquant is not the most seamless or orchestrated fragrance I have ever smellt. It's more like different scenes from a Woody Allen film, but I love it nevertheless. Once in a while, I come across a Duchaufour fragrance that doesn’t get very high ratings here but transports me to many different places. This time, one journey I have is inward, to that place where I don’t have to ask a man how I smell – many men have a knack for stating the obvious when it comes to fragrance and I’m sure I’d get the response ‘peppery’. This is a place where I love some V-neck jumpers, slightly messy hair and faux-bone reading glasses. It’s a world of bookbinders and endless afternoons. Perhaps a drink, jazz, a friend whose intellect I enjoy as well as her emotions. On a practical note, Poivre Piquant has been a solo pleasure for me for a long time but I think I have now mustered the courage to wear it in public. I’m not afraid of comments like “what smells like black pepper here?” or “who smells like hot chocolate froth?”. I also layer it with deep, red roses and the result is wonderful. I think both Poivre Piquant and Piment Brulant are full bottle worthy. Poivre Piquant projects well but lasts around 2 hours on my skin.

About reviewer (632 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairRed

9 years ago

I enjoy the zippy pepper opening, but then the scent never quite hits its stride. It is as if only half the notes are here--the melody is missing and all that's here is the accompaniment. Some scents are supposed to be simple, but this seems unfinished. Late drydown also includes one of those headachy synthetic wood notes that smell like pencil shavings (at this price point is real cedar too much to ask?).

About reviewer (354 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

9 years ago

Notes: honey, white pepper, milk and licorice. A warm, sweet fragrance which opens with a pleasant honey note. Later on the honey, milk and spices blend together to create the illusion of expensive milk chocolate. This fragrance is sweet and not peppery at all. To my disappointment I found it too simple. It lasts for about 3 hours.

About reviewer (308 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlond, Wavy, Medium

10 years ago

Opening resembles the olive-like ickiness of Chanel No. 18. Drydown is starchy, like Bois Farine but less distinctive. So it starts out annoying me and ends up boring me.

About reviewer (545 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinVery Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrown, Straight, Medium

10 years ago

This is a very sweet, slightly peppery fragrance that reminds me of some of the newer Bath and Body Works fragrances, like Twilight Woods.. It doesn't quite work with my chemistry, but even if it did, I'm thinking that it would be more practical to go with a B&BW fragrance or some other more affordable option. I like the L'Artisan brand, but some of its fragrances are so similar to other, more readily available fragrances that I can't justify spending this much money.

About reviewer (135 reviews)

SkinCombination, Other, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

EyesOther

10 years ago

I ADORE this scent. I love the sharpness of the initial white pepper note (I wish this opening note lasted a little longer though). Once this fades I'm left with a beautiful creamy milk and honey scent with hints of left over pepper which give the creaminess a little bit of a kick. It's sensational - sexy and mysterious and accessible all at the same time! I took one lippie off for staying power - I just wish it would last all day! I have to use this fragrance sparingly though as my Mum picked it up in Paris and there are no stockists in Western Australia (that I know of) but when I do run out I will definitely be trying to get my hands on another bottle!

About reviewer (12 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlond, Straight, Other

from

10 years ago

This one takes a bit of time to settle into the beautiful creamy notes that I adore in it. At first the pepper is a little bit alarming, then a strong chocolate seems to bully its way in- then its all sweet licorice creamy but still peppery... very comforting! Something to wear at home on a rainy sunday!

About reviewer (11 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBlond, Curly, Other

11 years ago

Nice strong white pepper with some soft milk and a creamy sandalwood.

About reviewer (6 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Medium

HairBrunette

EyesGreen

11 years ago

Spicy pepper with warm, hot woods. Has a distinct feeling of incense without actually smelling like it. Dry down takes away the softness and leaves me with a harsh woody edge that I don't like at all. Ended up scrubbing, but if heavyily woody scents work for you, sample this. It has complexity and layering and stays interesting for a long time.

About reviewer (1714 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure