Alfred Sung Shi

Alfred Sung Shi

3.9

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Great summer and springtime scent. Great for daytime, and being I do the bulk of my daily activity during the day anymore, that suits me fine....A nice definitely aquatic light fresh scent. I love wearing this on hot humid summer days. This may be okay to wear in the workplace, provided nobody there has allergies, asthma, that sort of thing. I do like how the bottle feels in the hands and that it is easy to spray, which my bad wrists appreciate!! :) However, I do not think I would repurchase, as there are too many similar aquatic/fresh/clean scents that I enjoy better than this one, and at times this has sort of a chemical smell to me.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Shi is a delightful open-air scent that's rice-based and does remind me of delicious steamed rice. It's not a thick perfume, it's more watery, it's green, bamboo-like, but that's not a listed note. You can sense a burnt tarry finish in the dry down that gives Shi a masculine edge to make this a perfect aquatic, it's just different enough. It's atypical, and I like that. It's not boring. I love rice as a note and in this it's absolutely perfect. Although normally a scent like this would be good for hot summer days, I'd also recommend this for three seasons of the year. Lasts for a good four to six hours. Wear Shi as a comfort perfume to relax or when you're just hanging out with friends.

To Read all 114 Reviews, Login or Join

on 9/27/2013 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

This has been my signature fragrance since 2001. I wore it on my wedding day. I started wearing it around the same time I met my husband, so there's an emotional tie to it. Anyway, when I got pregnant in 2007 I had very bad pukes throughout and couldn't tolerate the smell of any perfume at all. When I was finally ready to start wearing perfume again, I had a really hard time finding it.

But I found it! If you're having trouble finding it, look no further. This is information directly from the manufacturer (now arden cosmetics): Target.com, Ulta.com, and drugstore.com are the only places that they sell the fragrance to now. I feel like anyone who reviewed the perfume after buying from a discount or unauthorized vendor might want to give it another try. I too bought from a discount vendor and threw the whole bottle away. It smelled like old perfume. This made me contact alfred sung's customer service, who told me they sold manufacturing of the perfume to elizabeth arden. If you go on elizabeth arden's website and search for Shi it will come up.

For some reason, Ulta's price is almost twice that of target, but they are the exact same product. I got mine from Target.com for about $35.00 USD and it smells exactly as it should- not like it's been sitting in a hot car for 15 years!

As for the fragrance, I'm not great at descriptions of scents. I like light, natural, floral and citrusy fresh scents. It's not overpowering on me at all and lasts all day.

LOVE this perfume...not overwhelming at all, but strong enough to last through the day, and receive compliments :)..got this as a Christmas Gift, and will definitely be buying this once I run out.

This is reminiscent of Michael Kors' "Island", in other words, generic, not noteworthy in the least. Bottle is pretty, though. If aquatic is what you're looking for, you can't do better than Hermes "Une Jardin sur le Nil" for not only is it a water scent, but it possesses a distinct sophistication, depth, resonance and is utterly lovely. I'm glad I bought my bottle of Shi at a discount and not waste full price.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Wow, wow, wow. I love this perfume. HG status. I was given it a couple years ago in a Christmas gift set and I wore it everyday. It became my "signature scent" and everyone knew me by that scent. Now, however, it's extremely hard to track down without buying online.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I always get compliments with this on, even if it's the tiniest most economical spritz! It's a watery floral which smells very familiar, as though there are a lot around similar to it, but simultaneously unique and refreshing. I do love it, as do the people around me. Problem is I am allergic to it. I sneeze when I have it on, and if I spray on my skin, there's a burning sensation :(
DH ADORES it, which makes me torn between using it and getting that familiar delighted look "oh you're using that one! my favourite!", or just putting my comfort first, and NOT using it, thus avoiding sneeze-fests and whatnot. Thus far I've adhered to the latter policy, not too strictly though--as everyone loooves compliments, esp from their nearest and dearest!

on 11/14/2010 11:17:00 AM

I'd say Shi is for those who love aquatic scents unconditionally. Light vanilla-shampoo water, tranquil, and summery. But terribly mainstream. If you love your water perfume, or like gentle perfumes that don't smell contrived, Shi would be a nice one to have.

on 9/6/2010 10:48:00 PM

I initially enjoyed this fragrance as a watery musk but later starting getting headaches and a nose piercing feel when wearing.

Shi by Alfred Sung is a pleasant if somewhat generic smelling slightly fruity white floral. It's a good quality nonoffensive perfume which can easily be worn to work. Yet it's sophisticated enough to be worn for formal occasions.
This scent is of good quality but not terribly expensive. It's not really a standout from the numerous fruity white floral offerings out there. But it is one of the better offerings of this genre.
Overall, I can recommend this to women of all ages for almost any occasion.

Popular Fragrances