NARS Star Sailor Duo

NARS Star Sailor Duo

4.4

TALC, CETEARYL ISONONANOATE, ZINC STEARATE, SILICA, PHENYL TRIMETHICONE, ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE, CETYL ACETATE, STEAROXY DIMETHICONE, ISOPROPYL LANOLATE, ACETYLATED LANOLIN ALCOHOL, METHYLPARABEN.TRICLOSAN, PROPYLPARABEN, BHA, (may contain MICA), CI 77891 (titanium dioxide), CI 77491 CI 77492 CI 77499 (iron oxides), CI 19140 (yellow 5 lake), CI 42090 (blue 1 lake), CI 7707 (ultramarines), CI 77288 (chromium oxide greens), CI 77289 (chromium hydroxide green), CI 77510 (feric ferrocyanide), CI 77742 (manganese violet), CI 77163 (bismuth oxychloride), CI 75470 (carmine), CI 77000 (aluminum powder), CI 77400 (bronze powder), CI 77400 (copper powder)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

All my eyeshadows are Nars - the quality is so high, and they last forever, making the price tag totally reasonable. I have fair, warm-toned skin, green eyes, and blonde hair. Star Sailor is great for a more dramatic, contoured eye look (I use Alhambra - golds - during the day/casual and Charade - mauve and plum - for a soft, romantic look.) The left shade is a slightly shimmery gold with a light green cast. The right shade is a deep golden olive brown, less shimmery but not matte. Like all Nars, the colors are very easy to blend, and produce a nice, contoured, smoky eye look.

For giggles, I tried this on my very olive-toned friend, and it actually worked on her as a skin-tone neutral because of its golden/green undertones. My eyes are green, but the contrast of this yellow-green made them look more bluish, which was fun.

on 10/19/2010 11:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Like all other NARS eyeshadow, this is as well very pigmented. One is a yellow-golden shade and the other is a chocolate brown shade. This duo colors are comparable to MAC- Illusionary ambition but the texture and finished looks are totally different NARS is more velvety and pigmented with no obvious shimmer. I think the shade will look better on darker skintone.

I received this in a swap, partially used. The first thing I need to say is that, once the shadow has been used for a bit, you'll find that it is very richly pigmented. You'll want to start with the the "barely touch this with your shadow brush" method!

It almost blended itself, though. Even the olive side diffused nicely with a few swipes of my regular shadow brush.

The colors are rich and intense and seem, to me, to be along the lines of lemon lime / olive green, as others have mentioned. They go very well together. I think the user has to be careful, though. I'm very pale and pull warm, and this combo washed me out a bit. I compensate by using a bright peach blush and a pinky peach l/s (Maybelline Color Sensational in Warm Me Up) and that helps a lot.

BE's Butterfly was a nice highlight color for this duo.

I think this duo will only flatter maybe 40% of you out there. If you're one it will flatter, I'd give it my highest recommendation because it's a stunner.

LOVE this duo. blends dreamily, and the colours are super subtle but still noticeable. I would consider this a 'neutral' sorta look, with a twist.

LOVE IT.

and if you get it off strawberrynet.com, the price is great (compared to $76AU in stores!)

on 2/28/2010 10:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

Another miss for me with NARS e/s duos. It just didn't do anything on my skintone. It looked too washed out. I would not recommend this for darker skintones.

on 5/16/2010 10:14:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Love the colors in the duo. Unfortunately, despite the fact that they are pigmented, this particular set faded on me quickly. The shadows are almost too soft when swatched with my fingers. I don't have that problem with more recent Nars shadow singles and duos--despite not using a primer. Still, I continue using Star Sailor because the duo is very unique and pretty.

on 6/23/2009 10:29:00 PM

One of my favorite Nars duos. The colors seemed warm when I first saw them in a store, but worn on my lids, they are neutral/cool. There are no orange tones in the gold or brown to make them warm. As the previous reviewer wrote, the gold is "citrine", more of a lemon-yellow than a gold. The dark shade is a complex brown-olive taupe. I like to wear the duo by applying a wash of the yellow from middle lid to inner corner, and a wash of the brown from middle of lid to outer corner. The separate blocks of color complement each other perfectly, and look modern.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love me my NARS and this duo is no exception! I never really would have thought to even swatch this duo, but lately i've been really into yellows for some reason, so I gave it a try. I am so glad I did because this is a beautiful duo. The colors go very nicely together and gives my asian MAC NC30-35 skin a nice polished look.
The yellow isn't a harsh/strong yellow, its more of a soft shimmery citrine wash of yellow. It isn't opaque, but the pigmentation is still nice and the e/s is super soft and blendable.
The brown side is very deceptive! I thought it would be really simmilar to NARS galapagos, but it's not!! Its more olive toned once applied. Its absolutely stunning paired with the citrine side. It has lots of depth/dimension to it. It is also SUPER pigmented and is very soft and blendable
This is definitely worth the NARS price tag. Great NARS quality!! I wish NARS would make more of these great duos than their latest duos which have been duds. continued >>

on 10/26/2009 3:29:00 PM

I've upgraded my rating because this duo unfailingly makes my eyes look huge and dramatic.

Full Size Image

on 7/11/2009 6:22:00 PM

After reading the reviews on here, I decided to try this duo out. Normally, by looking at it in the container, I wouldn't even care to swatch them! It doesn't look that unique or something that would flatter my complexion and features. I'll admit that they aren't that eyecatching or pretty in the pan but boy was I in for a surprise! Absolutely beautiful and yes, this compliments my features and complexion hehe!
The brighter shade on the left kind of reminds me of Mac's Gorgeous Gold though not as iridescent and the bronzey shade is kind of like Go or a less shimmery/frost and slightly deeper Museum Bronze pigment.
Reference: NC25-35 (when tanned)