Olay Winter Retreat Body Wash in Vanilla Essence for Extra Dry Skin

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

If you like vanilla scents you may like this a lot. I love vanilla (a true real vanilla) and was excited when I first saw this and at first the scent was nice then I started to tire of it and found it a little too sweet and gave me a headache sometimes.
I think it is nice for a treat here n there during the cooler holiday months but I think it is way too heavy of a scent to use otherwise.
It lathers well, nice and creamy, and cleanses gently without drying skin.
I do think the scent could be better as it smells a little cheap. I would expect better from Olay but since I have yet to find a product of theirs that I like I am not surprised.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This smelled divine when I sniffed it in the store; however, that smell turned "plasticky" once applied to my skin in the shower. Very disappointing. Will be returning b/c I can't deal with the artificial aroma.

To Read all 22 Reviews, Login or Join

Whenever I use this body wash it really does make my skin soft. So it does a good job at moisturizing.

The scent is alright. It is strong at first but it doesn't last long.

It foams up very easy too..

However I have noticed it leaving a thin "film" feeling on my skin a few times. Maybe I just used too much those times?

I think it's a pretty good body wash for moisturizing purposes.

Love the light fragrance and love how creamy yet foamy this is. I got this from Target a huge bottle for $5.49. A nice changeup from my usual Dove. The only tiny issue is the bottle cap, seems rather flimsy.

on 1/6/2010 9:43:00 PM

The really cold, dry winters can take a toll on my skin. I picked this up at Target and it really has helped keep my skin moisturized. I suffer from eczema and this seems to help keep that under control too. (Although I pair this wash with Curel Anti-itch body lotion) Like other reviewers, the smell can be a bit much. It smells nice in the bottle, but once it hits air watch out. Luckily, the smell doesn't last all day...but the moisturizing effects do.

on 1/15/2009 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

I'm a little undecided about this product, but since I don't love it I can't give it a great rating.

Pros: pretty moisturizing, and my skin is not as dry when I get out of the shower

Stuck in the middle: the smell is a pretty vanilla, but if you smell closer it has a cheap chemical scent to it, washability, i guess it doesn't leave you squeaky clean like other body washes

cons: the smell mostly, just nothing special, and you do get a huge amount for about $6 but just not worth it

on 12/26/2008 9:09:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This stuff was a "gift", and I'm so glad I didn't waste any money on it. This stuff is disgusting!!!!!! It doesn't rinse off my body well at all, leaving a greasy/sticky feeling behind, leaving you feeling .... like you just want to shower.

Will NOT repurchase or recommend this to anyone. Gross!

OH MY!! This is so delightful!! I love the sweet, creamy scent of this body wash! Don't hesitate to pick this up. It's inexpensive, you have nothing to lose!

EDIT: After about two weeks after using this cleanser, I broke out in a hellacious rash that encompassed every pore of my body. Something similar to that had happened to me once before, eons ago, when I'd used a much older Olay cleanser. Also, since I wrote this review, The Rash has hit my best friend, to whom I gave two bottles of this. I wouldn't recommend it now, and I definitely won't buy. If you're skin's not sensitive, though, you're probably fine.

This cleanser makes my skin feel soooooooooooo soft and leaves just a faint scent of vanilla on skin after the product is rinsed off. I have weird skin - most of it's dry, but some parts will always be oily. This product does a great job of moisturizing my skin, but doesn't contribute to any oiliness. I'm really upset that this one is a "limited edition." Between the lovely scent and the good that it does my skin, I would love to see it as a 'keeper!"

on 3/18/2008 12:23:00 PM

I purchased some of this after all the rave reviews on the bath forum here on MUA. I figured since it wasn't especially expensive compared to many of the other products I use "no harm, no foul" so to speak. The bottle was a large 22 oz bottle. When I sniffed it in the store I could smell a really nice but light vanilla fragrance. I must admit, this was one of the nicer vanillas I have smelled since so many of them have an undertone of "plastic" and this one did not. It was a nice bright creamy and clear vanilla. However, the scent was very light but I figured for the price I could live with that.

I get the product home and into the shower. Upon pouring some on my bath poof which if you are not careful this package will dump way more than you need onto your poof, I sniffed the product. It smelled like the light vanilla with a strange chemical under note to it. This was not a "soapy" smell others describe but straight bitter chemicals. While using this in the shower the scent became stronger with chemicals and it is almost too much to bear. The lather is a very luxurious lather and that was the best part about using it. When I finished rinsing off, I felt a terrible film on my skin. This was not the feeling of "oils" you get when using a solid lotion or massage bar in the shower. This was more like a waxy feeling. I do not like that waxy feeling at all.

In short, if Olay were to boost the fragrance in this to possibly cover up the chemical smells it might not be a half-bad product. I don't mind if a product does not leave me scented after a shower, I do mind bathing in something that smells like toxic chemical soup.

I am not going to repurchase and using this bottle up is taking forever since I only use it about once a week, only so that it will get used. I hate to waste product. As far as the bar soap goes, I have some of that in my stash and have yet to try it. I am hopeful it will not be as bas of an experience as the shower gel. Once I try the soap I will add to this review.