Smashbox Dresden Collection

No Image

3.3

on 12/25/2005 8:08:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I am a nc15, have extremely warm-toned, reddish light brown hair, hazel eyes, and warm undertoned skin. I look best in warm and neutral toned colors, and generally look pretty bad in anything cool toned. I was extremely interested in the Dresden set because the colors, for the most part, were very warm toned, and I like Smashbox. As well, I have found many of Smashbox's kits to have odd color combinations, and the Dresden kit looked like everything went well together. It does! This kit is a dramatic look on me, but one that I can thankfully pull off. It would be easy to overdo these colors though, so use a light hand in application. This kit contains an eyeshadow trio (shiimery chocolate-bronze, shimmery bone, and shimmery plum), a blush/soft lights duo (blush is tan with slight peach & rose, soft lights is shimmery light bronze-tan), lipgloss duo (bright coral, warm nude rose), lipliner (warm nude rose), That's a Wrap mascara, mascara primer, and .5oz Photofinish primer. The blush, soft lights, and eyeshadows go on smoothly and with buildable pigment. I am shocked (in good way) at how my cheekbones stand out with the blush and soft lights duo. I look like a glowing tropics gal. The bronze and bone color shadows are my favorite of the three, and work for daytime, but the plum (normally a VERY bad color on me) looks great for drama and night in the crease, and makes my hazel eyes stand out a lot. The shadows actually seem to look better on me as the day goes on. The coral gloss is bright! My mom thought it lit up my face in a positive way, and over a neutral l/s, I think it will be neat. The nude gloss is nice when put on sheerly, and the l/l looks good on its own. I don't normally wear l/l, so this may not get much use. I have not used the mascara yet, but do like Smashbox's mascara primer. I will get year-round use from this kit, and it provides me everything I need for a more made-up look, to differ from my normal natural-look routine.

on 12/5/2005 12:38:00 AM

I'm a PPP, NW20, Bobbi Brown Sand with brown hair and eyes. I had high hopes for this collection; I generally like Smashbox's kits, and this one came with some things that I hadn't tried, so I went ahead and got it from Sephora. The lash primer is neat; I find that it really does help add length. The mascara is ok; I always go back to Maybelline Full n Soft, no matter what I try. The face primer was neat to try, although I didn't really notice any change in how my foundation applied and it was a bit emollient for my taste. I'm willin gto give it another shot though, because I've never used anything like it before. The shadows have good texture and color, and the blush is a nice warm peachy brown color, but the "highlighter" is actually darker than the blush. I can see the blush looking muddy on some people and the highlighter just looks strange. It's more of a bronzer it seems; maybe that will come more in handy in the summer months. Now that I think about it, this may just be more of a warm weather palette. Maybe I'll review it again then. I just don't think this palette did anything special for me. It's nice, but not fabulous and I don't think I would buy it again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I am a huge fan of Smashbox and this kit has been a big disappointment for me. The collection comes with several pieces including an Eye Shadow Trio in Smashing Cocktail Hour (shimmer dark plum, shimmery bronze, and ivory). The shadows are the best part of the set IMO. The are richly pigmented, glide on smoothly and last all day with a good base. The trio alone would retail separately for $28 but its currently only available in this kit. The only thing i dint like is that the shadows are not unique shades. Very standard. And this kit is very warm so the purple seems sort of out of place. The lipgloss is a duo in Fusion Lip Gloss in Ladies Night (rose-nude) and Date Night (coral-red brown shimmer). The lipglosses are nice, no scent and not too sticky. Last a couple of hours without eating. the coral color is a little bright IMO but I love the nude. Its like a brown nude and goes well with the Lip pencil in Print, a nuetral brown with a hint of red. I usually love the Soft Lights Duo but this one is rather orangey. Its Smashing Club/Lounge (shimmery bronze highlighter and peach blush). I tend to wear heavy blush so it gets orangey which is a big disappointment for me. The highlighter is more like a bronzer.

I thought the Thatís a Wrap Mascara in Black was going to be like the Kiss me mascara but its not. Its just a regular black mascara with alternating short and long bristles. Its didnt curl at all and barely lengthened. Did darken nicely. What i hated was that this smudges on me. After about 5 hours i get cirles under my eyes. (i do have an oily undereye area though). Finally the set comes with a mini Photo Finish Foundation Primer ($15 value), and Layer Lash Primer which is nice and retails for ($14). The entire set retails for $57 which is a great deal but I just wasnt thrilled with any of the products. Its very warm which usually works for me (nc30 light olive complexion) but this didnt do much for me.