Frederic Malle Carnal Flower

Frederic Malle Carnal Flower

3.9

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really tried to love this, but to my nose it is acrid, bilious and eye watering.
Whoever thought that putting a bunch of tuberose on steroids, in a sealed plastic bag and setting it on fire inside a dirty laundry hamper was a good idea...
... Probably meant it as an olfactory torture device.

on 3/3/2016 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Touch of nice green notes in the opening, and peeks of melon towards the top, but overall a white floral fragrance. It's a mixture of ylang, orange blossom and tuberose. It doesn't have the oily tuberose present in Nuit de Tuberose. The orange blossom is full, but not particularly indolic; it's not the fresh orange blossom in Houbigant's fragrance. The ylang is present in custard-y type of way. It's a beautiful blend, but I prefer fragrances that particularly focus on those individual scents versus presenting them together.

To Read all 126 Reviews, Login or Join

I absolutely adore Carnal Flower & can't say anything about it that hasn't already been said here - beautiful, heady tuberose - but my problem is that it has ZERO lasting power on me. I have to spray it on my clothes and hair to be able to smell it one hour later. For the amount I spent, this is unacceptable.

on 6/4/2015 8:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Carnal Flower is in two words Absolutely Stunning but I didn't think so at first try and still don't get what could be particularly sultry about it. Probably found it greener and fresher than I expected then but have grown to love this photorealistic bunch of full bloom rain wet tuberoses surrounded by foliage in a tropical forest.

The eucaliptus cuts throught the natural floral sweetness with its cool green tone and the honeydew mellon reduces the density while adding freshness. The coconut lends a tropical hint but nothing towards the Beyond Love direction. Jasmine and orange blossom peek through and contribute to complexity without ever taking center stage. Finally the musk warms the composition up and blends the scent seamlessly to the skin.

I've read on the Frederic Malle webstite that as far as concentration is concerned Carnal Flower should be considered as Perfume extract. It's also based on headspace technique; ''One does not extract a scent with headspace. Headspace (Also called living flowers by IFF), is a technique by which we are able to analyze the evaporation that springs from anything, therefore understanding what the smell of the object in question is made of. The headspace technique provides us with data that is telling us precisely how a scent is made. It lists the ingredients that evaporate from an object and their proportion. It was used for the first time in the 80’s with breakthrough scents like Antonia’s flowers (which is based on a headspace analysis of freesia), we then used it in fragrances like Carnal Flower (that is partly based on a headspace analysis of Tuberose).''

Carnal Flower stikes me as a very radiant modern floral and it's probably the only tuberose to compete with Fracas. The opening is huge, sillage can easily fill a room for the first couple of hours with two sprays and will stay through the entire day and night. Unfortunately it's also accompanied by a pricetag to match and that's the only reason why I still haven't bought a big bottle - or five.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

OMG.

If you tried Do Son by Diptique and you hated it, try Carnal flower.
If you love Do Son, try Carnal flower.

The "oily" smell of the tuberose is very prominent on the testing paper strip but on skin it disappears within 10 minutes and beautiful smell emerges and lasts at least 5 hours on me. The scent keeps on evolving throughout the wear. I just can't stop smelling my wrist. I am very tempted to buy this but I plan to try Fracas, love & tears, and beyond love before I do.
On me, it smells more vibrant and youthful but on paper, it smells more romantic and round.

I absolutely love tuberose and was dying to smell this one. I finally had the chance today and can I say HOLY SHIT. I can't even describe how intoxicating Carnal Flower is. I am literally still high from it and it's been 2 hours since I put it on. The only bad thing about it is that it costs half my rent for a bottle. If I ever win the lottery, I will spray my 20 room mansion with Carnal Flower.

on 4/7/2014 3:31:00 PM

This is the best smelling stuff on earth... But it's so expensive! I think it's the gardenia that makes it smell so good and I found a similar smelling perfume, Tocca Florence, and am using that instead now. It's not as good but for $50 instead of $300 it's worth it!

on 10/24/2013 10:27:00 AM

this is my "sex" perfume, when i know its going to happen, and "portrait of a lady" is my malle "lawyer meetings" perfume. yes its green and yes its polarizing but my goi to fragrance is Fracas and Killian Beyond Love and LOve and Tears both for different moods but Carnal Flower is a guarantee that im going to do the walk of shame, men love it when it powders down, at first its too green or maybe thats the hexane in the tuberose absolute, but after a glass of bubbly and your makeup on slip on your best panties, another killer queen Malle is "Lipstick Rose" which is great for working with men, in Hollywood, and "quelque Fluers" which ive heard is Ditas favourite too, Fracas is my go to so i like LOUD perfumes, "portatit of a lady is very quiet ive also tried all the amouage perfumes and thats another eereview prefume is meant to have an effect on yourself and others if you have the confidence Carnal Flower will get you - laid or close to it!

on 9/11/2013 12:11:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Amazing !!!! One of my favorite fragrances ever. The hair mist is awesome !

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

lalki1's review below sums up what I was about to write, and others describe the notes in detail better but I've been putting off buying this perfume for AGES (due to the price). Will buy again, I am a fan of Tuberose and this is different enough for me to justify although if I had to pick between it and the others I would pick Tuberose Criminelle, but this is still worth rating of 5 for me.

LOVELY floral fragrance, good sillage, and works well on my skin chemistry so its sort of become my every day perfume now.

ETA make sure you try before you buy. This gives my husband headaches. Luckily he told me after I nearly finished the bottle but before repurchasing. I still love it, but love him more so goodbye carnal flower

Popular Fragrances