Frederic Malle Carnal Flower

Frederic Malle Carnal Flower

3.9

on 2/11/2018 8:30:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Other

I've only purchased the small samples off of eBay due to the retail pricing on this, and I absolutely LOVE this fragrance.... I can't describe the notes - but I know what I like and this is soooo yummy! It's a potent fragrance that lasts on my skin for many hours, which is a bit unusual for me, and this just has a kick that is deliciously...... intoxicating and inviting! I find this Carnal Flower, as well as the Nasomatto Narcotic Venus absolutely compelling!

Since I can't describe notes, here's an idea of some other fragrances I like: Elie Saab (I have the lotion and it is beautiful!), Mac Turquatic, Chanel Coco Mademoiselle, Chloe, and the Jo Malone fragrances like English Oak & Redcurrant, and Wood Sage & Sea Salt. Also like Azuree Soleil.

Notes: Tuberose, Eucalyptus, Coconut, Jasmine, Orange Blossom, Melon, Ylang-Ylang, White Musk, Bergamot.

I was gifted a sample of Carnal Flower recently, and I liked it so much that I purchased a full bottle from a very reputable retailer. I do not know how old was the sample gifted me, but I now suspect that it must have been a few years old because the perfume in the full bottle does not seem to be as rich and complex as is the sample, and to my surprise given its price point, its performance is moderate at best. With an amazing six spritzes, projection and sillage were only mild to good for the first hour, and then it very quickly turned into a skin scent. Longevity was also mild to good at roughly four hours. After having read so many reviews that claimed only 1-2 spritzes provided massive projection and sillage for an entire day and half the night or more, I am very disappointed in Carnal Flower's performance.

Carnal Flower is a very beautiful perfume, but having worn Fracas many times, I did not find Carnal Flower to be at all unique or even very different from Fracas, and given its mediocre performance, I could not recommend it over Fracas. Perhaps Carnal Flower's lack lustre performance is due to reformulation? Perhaps the fragrance in the original formulation only required 1-2 spritzes to last all day and half the night as some reviewers have stated, but this is not true of the fragrance in my brand new bottle. After 3-4 hours, Carnal Flower is only barely perceptible on my skin, and it smells so similar to Fracas that I find it redundant to have it my collection.

If you love and own Fracas, you can probably live without Carnal Flower. It is undoubtedly a beautiful tuberose-centric fragrance, but I do not feel it is worth its price point even if you do not already own Fracas. You can buy roughly three 100ml bottles of Fracas for what it costs to purchase one 50ml bottle of Carnal Flower. In my opinion, Carnal Flower is simply not worth the inflated price. Fracas is just as gorgeous and performs equally as well if not better.

I am sorry to say it, but I find Carnal Flower to be little more than a Fracas clone. Madonna's Truth or Dare is also a take on Fracas, but Truth or Dare is dissimilar enough to Fracas to be quite distinguishable in its own right, and it costs significantly less than Fracas which costs significantly less than Carnal Flower, so for those on a strict budget, I suggest purchasing Truth or Dare. If you can afford Fracas, forget Truth or Dare and purchase Fracas instead as it is of a higher quality and a more beautiful fragrance. Either way, Truth or Dare or Fracas, there is no need to pay almost $300 for a 50ml bottle of Carnal Flower unless you want it for the brand name prestige.

Fragrance: 8.75/10

Projection: 6/10 (first hour only)

Sillage: 6/10 (first hour only)

Longevity: 5/10

Presentation: 5/10

on 10/3/2017 11:21:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

The most beautiful sultry tuberose scent in existence. A masterpiece from Dominique Ropion. The hair mist & body butter are very nice also. I can't recommend this scent highly enough. It's been my signature since its debut.

on 8/13/2016 7:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

A beautiful, white floral that starts off just a bit green, adds some soft melon and coconut along the way, but is mostly tuberose. It's very hard to compare Carnal Flower to anything else containing tuberose because of this combination. I save it for my "manslayer" nights or when I want to feel unique yet grounded in perfume classicism. Ripens beautifully on a hot, hazy, summer night but good with a winter cashmere, too.

When people read tuberose, they naturally think of Fracas, which is a beauty and where my journey into this exotic flower began. II collect tuberose scents, including Fracas, Tuberose Gardenia, Do Son, Durga, and Carnal Flower, and am always on the lookout for a new one to add to my collection. I wear Carnal Flower the most with D.S. & Durga's namesake a very close second. Tuberose is where the comparison ends, however, as Carnal Flower is very different from its archetype. Its soft green, melon, and coconut notes, as subtle as they are, take away the soapiness I sometimes detect in Fracas, and makes it creamier and more modern. Contributing to tuberose's decaying and fetid tendencies is an element of eucalyptus, which is a bit of an acquired taste.

But save your pennies because you won't find Carnal Flower on a discount site! Takes me about two years to go through a 50-mL bottle, and about half that to save up for new one. In the end, it's worth going without the one-hundred or so Starbucks' lattes I must forego just to have the pleasure of wearing this lovely scent. Even with 100-plus reviews here, I've yet to encounter someone else wearing it, which suits me just fine.

Carnal Flower is the most beautiful floral I've ever encountered.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really tried to love this, but to my nose it is acrid, bilious and eye watering.
Whoever thought that putting a bunch of tuberose on steroids, in a sealed plastic bag and setting it on fire inside a dirty laundry hamper was a good idea...
... Probably meant it as an olfactory torture device.

on 3/3/2016 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Touch of nice green notes in the opening, and peeks of melon towards the top, but overall a white floral fragrance. It's a mixture of ylang, orange blossom and tuberose. It doesn't have the oily tuberose present in Nuit de Tuberose. The orange blossom is full, but not particularly indolic; it's not the fresh orange blossom in Houbigant's fragrance. The ylang is present in custard-y type of way. It's a beautiful blend, but I prefer fragrances that particularly focus on those individual scents versus presenting them together.

update: I have to revise my star rating to five (was previously three). Though I can't seem to smell it after a little while - maybe my nose just gets immune? others can DEFINITELY smell it on me, and I get compliments every time I wear it, which I don't ordinarily let sway me, but this time I can't help it. It's quickly become a signature fragrance for me and I really adore it.

previous review: I absolutely adore Carnal Flower & can't say anything about it that hasn't already been said here - beautiful, heady tuberose - but my problem is that it has ZERO lasting power on me. I have to spray it on my clothes and hair to be able to smell it one hour later. For the amount I spent, this is unacceptable.

on 6/4/2015 8:23:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Carnal Flower is in two words Absolutely Stunning but I didn't think so at first try and still don't get what could be particularly sultry about it. Probably found it greener and fresher than I expected then but have grown to love this photorealistic bunch of full bloom rain wet tuberoses surrounded by foliage in a tropical forest.

The eucaliptus cuts throught the natural floral sweetness with its cool green tone and the honeydew mellon reduces the density while adding freshness. The coconut lends a tropical hint but nothing towards the Beyond Love direction. Jasmine and orange blossom peek through and contribute to complexity without ever taking center stage. Finally the musk warms the composition up and blends the scent seamlessly to the skin.

I've read on the Frederic Malle webstite that as far as concentration is concerned Carnal Flower should be considered as Perfume extract. It's also based on headspace technique; ''One does not extract a scent with headspace. Headspace (Also called living flowers by IFF), is a technique by which we are able to analyze the evaporation that springs from anything, therefore understanding what the smell of the object in question is made of. The headspace technique provides us with data that is telling us precisely how a scent is made. It lists the ingredients that evaporate from an object and their proportion. It was used for the first time in the 80s with breakthrough scents like Antonias flowers (which is based on a headspace analysis of freesia), we then used it in fragrances like Carnal Flower (that is partly based on a headspace analysis of Tuberose).''

Carnal Flower stikes me as a very radiant modern floral and it's probably the only tuberose to compete with Fracas. The opening is huge, sillage can easily fill a room for the first couple of hours with two sprays and will stay through the entire day and night. Unfortunately it's also accompanied by a pricetag to match and that's the only reason why I still haven't bought a big bottle - or five.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

OMG.

If you tried Do Son by Diptique and you hated it, try Carnal flower.
If you love Do Son, try Carnal flower.

The "oily" smell of the tuberose is very prominent on the testing paper strip but on skin it disappears within 10 minutes and beautiful smell emerges and lasts at least 5 hours on me. The scent keeps on evolving throughout the wear. I just can't stop smelling my wrist. I am very tempted to buy this but I plan to try Fracas, love & tears, and beyond love before I do.
On me, it smells more vibrant and youthful but on paper, it smells more romantic and round.

I absolutely love tuberose and was dying to smell this one. I finally had the chance today and can I say HOLY SHIT. I can't even describe how intoxicating Carnal Flower is. I am literally still high from it and it's been 2 hours since I put it on. The only bad thing about it is that it costs half my rent for a bottle. If I ever win the lottery, I will spray my 20 room mansion with Carnal Flower.

Popular Fragrances