Laura Mercier Secret Concealer

Laura Mercier Secret Concealer
Laura Mercier Concealer in SC1

3.8

Petrolatum, Lanolin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Retinyl Palmitate, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Paraffin, Propylparaben. /- [May contain]: Titanium Dioxide (Cl 77891), Iron Oxides (Cl 77491, Cl 77492, Cl 77499), Ultramarines (Cl 77007).

on 6/14/2017 10:37:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

BEWARE!!! 3 years after using this consistently, it aged eye area. Let me explain.

This contains Retinyl Palmitate (variation of Vitamin A and Retinol) which exfoliates and increases cell turnover. This is great for areas of the skin that have lots of collagen and fat (i.e. Cheeks) but not where the skin is delicate and thin like the eye area. In fact, Retinol creams warn not to use them underneath the eye area for this reason. If you are older (I turn 31 this week) the exfoliation of Retinol can backfire and leave you with thin skin that is not being regenerated with collagen. It is called the "Hay-flick Limit."

When I first purchased this product, I used it sparingly. I then started using it about 2-3 times a week. I would always wear it with sunscreen and usually wash it off at night. The few times I forgot to wash off my makeup before bed, I would wake up with dehydrated and shadowy under eyes. I began looking at old pictures of myself last year and noticed that my under eye area has become darker. I have also lost elasticity in specific areas including my upper eye lids, lower inner crease and along my brow-bone. Those are the only three places I apply this concealer. I use MAC Select Moisture for all other areas around my eyes.

Overall, my normally tight under eye area and naturally hooded (i.e. single eyelid fold) has become hollow and droopy. I started thinking back to when I first started using the concealer and how my eye area looked. The day that I began using this concealer I was attending a Christmas party and took a picture. I was shocked at the difference in my appearance. I am now working on repairing the damage with an elastin cream (St. Ives). Fortunately, the eye area will usually regenerate but it can take longer the older we are.

As far as Retinol, I do use a prescription Retinoid (Tazorac) but I avoid my eye area, usually use it just on my T-zone, and use it inconsistently (once every other week). I am now rethinking if I want to continue using it on my skin in general.

Overall, beware of ingredients you are putting around your eyes like concealer, eyeliner, mascara and eye shadow. Consider using natural makeup instead at places like Whole Foods or investing in skin care so you don't need as much makeup.

on 6/10/2017 4:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

This covers dark spots, scars, and darkness around the eyes very good. It only takes the tiniest amount of product because this is a full coverage concealer. I use my finger to blend in the corner and under my eye. I use an eyeliner brush to add the concealer to spots/scars on my face and I blend it with another brush. This product does what it supposed to do and I love it!

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

This is not a bad concealer, but because it is so creamy, it does make my mascara smudge under my eyes. Setting it with powder did not help.

on 11/28/2016 12:54:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I normally wear Lancome Effacernes Longue Tenue, but as always, I stray every now and then to try other products. Unfortunately, trying Laura Mercier's turned out to be a bad call. The best thing to be said about this is that it is non drying. The problem is that it veered much toward the emollient end, compromising it's ability to set properly. You can fix this issue by setting it with powder, but then you run the risk of caking. I find that even with a setting powder though, the product still slides off the skin. Packaging is also far from ideal. Dipping into the pot is unhygienic. Not going to repurchase.

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

This is way too creamy and creases under my eyes - even when it's set it just slides off!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This concealer is fantastic for under the eyes on ageing skin because it is so emollient. I got this shade on sale from strawberrynet in #1.5 which is a fraction too light for me, but I have found that if I mix it with the pink side of secret camouflage in #2 and apply with a little buffer brush, it becomes the perfect consistency!

It absolutely has to be set with a powder, and I find two very light layers; one after application and another as i finish my makeup allows it to last all day and minimises it settling into fine lines.

I have used this on clients much older than myself and found it works very well following the above method.

It also comes in handy for a dry flaky post-cold nose. The extra moisture allows for foundation to sit a bit nicer over the textured skin.

on 4/8/2016 11:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

Good coverage on dark circles, looks natural. Does not look crepey or dry like some concealers. Very good on its own and even better with a dab of Bobbi Brown corrector.

on 6/13/2016 7:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

It really isn't that great. It's shiny, its orange, it doesn't blend well, and it creases like anyones business under the eyes within about 10 minutes. I've tried using it with primer, under foundation, over foundation, on it's own, with setting powder, applying it with my fingers, applying it with a brush. Nothing works, it's horrid. The name "secret concealer" makes me laugh because it is anything BUT a secret when you're wearing it, due to all of the issues mentioned above! I stopped using this but the other day i decided to give it another go, and it just looked so awful i had to take all of my makeup off and start again.

If you have acne and are considering to buy this for it, i wouldn't. something about the formulation screams breakout to me. There are better concealers out there and I'm still on the hunt for mine.

I love this product!! The packaging was a little bit "jenky", or it feels a little cheap... But the product itself is beautiful. I have the color number 3 I believe, and the salmon undertone is just perfect to cancel out my under eye circles. The staying power is great. I prefer applying it with a brush rather than a beauty blender. The price is a little high up... I'm not exactly sure if I would splurge again for this, since I hit pan pretty quickly. There is not a lot of product in this, but I still think it's a great product.

on 8/11/2016 4:45:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I somehow like this concealer cos its really creamy and i have dry skin. But unfortunately, i think i got the wrong shade. I bought number 4 and realized at home that its really dark on me. So i think ill buy this again but in a lighter shade.