Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Gel Exfoliant

Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Gel Exfoliant
No Title

Not tested on animals

Water, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol, (solvent/water-binding agent), Polysorbate 20 (emulsifier), Salicylic Acid (beta hydroxy acid/exfoliant), Phytosphingosine (cell-communicating ingredient), Hydroxyethylcellulose (gel-based thickener), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract (antioxidant), Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract (antioxidant) Epilobium Angustifolium (Willow Herb) Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract (anti-irritant), Bisabolol (anti-irritant), Sodium Hydroxide (pH-adjusting agent), Tetrasodium EDTA (chelating agent

on 5/5/2018 5:40:00 PM

This is a hit or miss product in my opinion. I wanted to love it and have tried it on MANY occasions but always end up taking it out of my Regimen. I have sensitive, dehydrated, acne prone skin and if I use this once it does a decent job at making my skin look brighter and freshly exfoliated, however if I use it even twice a week my skin becomes extremely dehydrated and tight. I’ve tried using hyaluronic acid serums prior to the exfoliant and different methods to escape my skin from drying out and it just appears this product isn’t compatible with my skin.

on 4/1/2018 7:51:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've had congested skins with little bumps on my forehead and chin area for as long as I can remember. Nothing has gotten rid of them, only temporarily kept them down slightly. Tea trea, which hazel, glycolic acid and weaker salisylic acid products had shown some results, but the bumps always came back. That's why I was SO thrilled when I got this product, because within just a week or two, my skin was looking so much more even and clear. It was such a huge deal for me that I finally started to grow out my bangs that I've had for years to disguise my forehead (knowing full well it certainly wasn't helping things - vicious circle)! I still got some breakouts, but the stubborn bumps were practically gone, and I was ecstatic, ready to name this product my all time HG. But then the results tapered off a bit, I got some bumps back. Now after using it for perhaps 5 months, I can settle on saying that it is a really good product, it does help, but it's not the end of the search for me. It's like my skin gets used to these products very quickly, and revert back to its old ways. I really want to try the 4% version - perhaps this simply isn't strong enough? A good starting point, but now I need to up the ante a bit? Only problem is that I can't find the 4% BHA in Sweden, where I live.. Otherwise I might try the 2% liquid one to see if it is more potent than the gel.

It is a bit sticky when first applied, but since I only use it at night and follow up with serum/moisturizer/face oil I don't have an issue with that. It might be different if you want to use it under makeup.

+ Cruelty free (certified by Leaping Bunny)
+ The big bottle will last you a long time if you, like me, use it once daily
+ Has improved the texture of my skin a lot
+ Non-irritating
+ Fragrance free
+ Hygienic packaging with a good pump

- The effect wore off slightly over time, but that might just be my skin

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Excellent for clearing breakouts!!! This is my go-to if I have a stubborn pimple on my jawline. Some of mine get pretty big :( this clears it up within 2-3 days! I have come to realize nothing works instantly or overnight. It also doesn’t horribly dry the skin like other salicylic acid creams/gels. I can’t use anything else! Love it!

I tried a lighter BHA before this (COSRX blackhead power liquid) and found it had no effect, so I tried this.

Literally this also has no effect on my skin. It didn’t break me out, but it didn’t reduce the appearance of my sebaceous filaments, nor did it have any affect on my closed comedones.

I’ve used retinoids and 2% salicylic acid products before, so perhaps my skin is too desensitized for this to take any effect? I don’t know. I wish this worked! I want to try the 4% but am afraid it would also be another waste of money.

on 11/28/2017 1:41:00 PM

Wayyyy too sticky for me - the liquid one is the one I always return to. I felt like it was blocking/clogging my pores, not cleansing them.

on 6/2/2017 6:20:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Not a huge PC fan, but this is a great BHA. I used to use the 1% (they don't make it any more) and that is how I got started. I have dry skin. The liquid was just too drying for me and the lotion felt irritating. This sits on the skin and therefore feels less drying but it works. Really cleans my pores. Not torture to let it sink in. I follow with lots of moisture. I use it for SF and redness. I am not ance prone but found BHA helpfull for aging skin. Gets the funk out my pores so it can accept moisture and not get all red. This is the one, though I alternate with something gentler. Not everyone will like the gel texture, so do get sampes of a few. This is not recommended for dry skin but I found it less irritating than the lotion. I like that it doesn't drip so I don't need a cotton pad to apply.

on 5/22/2017 3:49:00 PM

This stuff rocks! I originally tried out the lotion, thought it was too tacky, then tried the BHA Liquid, but the packaging wasn't all that great. Finally the Goldilocks solution was the Gel formulation! This has done wonders for my skin. My skin type is oily-combo and VERY prone to ACNE. This has never broken me out or given me a terrible reaction. The first time I used it, it did not burn or irritated by skin. This formulation I find, is more gentle than the liquid version. I apply this at night time after toner/essence and before moisturizer. It does make your skin look shiny after applying it, so I would recommend sticking to applying it at nighttime. This product has significantly reduced any formation of pimples or acne on my face, and has FADED most of my PIH. It makes my face feel so smooth and soft after each application. I started to see results within 2 weeks, using it every other day. Now, my skin can tolerate it being used daily. This did not get rid of ALL of my blackheads, but did reduce the APPEARANCE of them. For the few that it did manage to "dissolve", the 'pores' seemed to look bigger because all the gunk was taken out of them. I would much rather have "larger" pores than blackheads though! This does not prevent my oiliness though, I found that her skin-balancing toner is much better at that. I find that the BHA gel is better at preventing acne and is more of a "clarifying" product, whereas the 8% AHA gel is more for rough texture on the face. The BHA gel is my holy grail skin product and MUST bring it with me whenever I travel! This is a must-have and I totally understand why everyone raves about it. I highly suggest looking into more of her products and read multiple reviews of people with different skin types and compare! I don't know if this is allowed or not, but I do have a referral link that will get you $10 off of your first purchase, which would drop the price of the gel from $29 + 15% off + $10 off = to $14.65 . I believe there is also a promo on free shipping. Obviously you do not have to use this link, but if you would like to, here it is :

TLDR:
Pros: great for preventing acne, fading PIH, reduce appearance of blackheads, lasts a long time (9 months for me!)
Cons: if there's no promo can be expensive with the US rate, doesn't prevent oiliness

on 5/13/2017 12:58:00 AM

I stopped using PC BHA exfoliants for 1 month and my skin went crazy...small blemishes all over the face... BHA is a must in my routine and this one is particularly nice because of its gel texture. I just apply one pump all over my face and neck, wait a little bit for it to absorb and then apply a moisturizer as it can be drying. Keeps my skin glowing and blemish free, for $10 off follow this link https://goo.gl/byQqpB

on 5/4/2017 8:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I have been using this product for over 3 months now and I love it! I have seen a difference in my skin and my face, it feels smoother, has cleared out and has smaller pores. I apply this every morning, let it sit on my skin for 10-15 minutes and without washing my face I then apply a moisturizer with SPF in it. If you are trying the product for the first time, of course, do a patch test! My skin is not sensitive so it worked well for me. I have tried many skin care products over the years, but this is one I can not do without.

Here is a $10 off code for your first purchase if you'd like to try it.

I've tried all three Paula's Choice 2% BHA formulations - the liquid, lotion, and of course the gel - and of the three, the gel is by far my favorite. It's the one BHA exfoliant that I constantly come back to. It has a really nice texture and feels quite luxurious during its application. It's more gentle than the liquid, and as long as I don't overuse it I experience no skin irritation (and my skin is normally very, very sensitive!). Generally I'll use it every other night.

I like that it contains other beneficial ingredients - such as willow herb, bisabolol, phytosphingosine, grape seed extract and green tea extract. A lot of exfoliant products will you just include the active and not much else, so this is a nice perk.

Price wise... I've been purchasing products from Paula's Choice for years and have noticed that price increases are a constant thing. At 3.3 oz, however, the bottle is a pretty decent size and lasted me well over a year, so I think it's fairly priced. There are also many sales throughout the year that leave it marked down, sometimes significantly so.

The only downside to this product is that it does leave a tacky and shiny finish on my face, so I don't find it suitable for daytime use.

If interested, you can get $10 off your order with my referral link: http://goo.gl/6yGFNf