Model in a Bottle

Filtered by skin type : Oily
 Model in a Bottle

3.1

SD Alcohol 40B, Purified Water, Isopentildyol, Acrylates/Octacrylamide Copolymer, Aloe Barbadensis Gel (aloe vera), Biosaccharide Gum-1, Propylaparaben, Methlyparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Let me just say I'm all about the makeup setting sprays. I have combo/oily acne-prone skin and prefer a full-coverage foundation, but there is nothing more IRRITATING than having your flawless face rub, sweat, and smear off during the day. That being said I have tried many setting sprays (skindinavia, nyx, UD), but this is by far my favorite. This spray feels a bit sticky or hairspray-esque shortly after application, but after a few minutes that feeling disappears and you are left with a natural-looking and natural-feeling face. I wouldn't say this is "matte" as the bottle suggests-- I think it just reinforces the finish of the foundation you have on under it, if that makes sense. This product makes my face (foundation, concealer, blush, contour, highlight, brows, eyeshadow, and even LIPSTICK) last until I choose to take it off AND controls my oily t-zone. The price for this product is very reasonable, but I do have one complaint-- the packaging. Even after reformulating and switching the bottle over to a plastic one instead of the old glass one, this bottle still sprays sooo poorly! I have to spray a couple spritzes out into the air before spraying the product onto my face because the first couple "spritzes" are more like heavy streams of huge droplets that I am afraid will ruin my makeup and make it look spotty. Naturally, this bothers me because I am wasting product because of the bad packaging :( BUT, all other issues aside, I really like the product itself for its makeup-prolonging qualities.

on 3/23/2015 2:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I have really oily skin and I have a hard time with my foundation staying in place. I've tried different primers, toners and nothing helps. I tried Model in a Bottle and I'm not gonna lie I was a little shocked when I first sprayed it on my face. It stung pretty bad and smelled strong. Once that passed I continued getting ready for my day and usually by the time I'm done I'm already very oily, but I was matte and I felt really clean and pretty the rest of the day. I HATE when I first spray it on my face but It's definitely worth it. My skin isn't sensitive or prone to breakouts so I would be careful with this product if you are. I think this is a great solution if you have extremely oily skin. I got a lot of compliments on my makeup :) That's always a plus!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS STUFF! I am a makeup artist with super duper sensitive combo skin (with a touch of psoriasis on my cheeks). I used to have to touch-up my makeup several times a day...NOT ANYMORE! I do my makeup once, spray this stuff on (4 sprays) and I don't think about it for the rest of the day! I no longer have to worry about getting makeup on other peoples clothes when I hug them either! I have given away several bottles of this stuff to friends and they love it too!

2 things:
1) yes, it stings a tiny bit (however, it might be my super sensitive skin), but it's not bad at all!
2) be aware of your surroundings when you spray this...it tends to stick to mirrors, phones, glass, etc. and is hard to get off. It also has a lite hairspray effect when it gets on your hair. It's not bad, though. Honestly.

Try it, you won't be disappointed!

On a side note: I've tried UD de-slick and was disappointed. I also tried the setting sprays from Victoria's Secret and e.l.f. and was no where near as impressed as I am with the Model in a Bottle.

on 6/13/2013 3:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought this setting spray in the matte finish a while back. When I sprayed it the irritation it brought to my skin was ridiculous. I felt stingy and dry. I get that it's supposed to make me oil-free, but the fact that my skin felt tight was not right. (I rhyme on the daily) I get that this is supposed to be an alternative for higher brands, but I rather just dish out the money for a more expensive one.

on 2/4/2013 10:23:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I AM IN LOVE! I ordered this online from the model in a bottle website and was disappointed when it arrived in the mail. The bottle would not spray....I looked at it closer and the tube that sucks up the product had a hole in it. Not impressed, but not a big deal. I just went to the dollar store and picked up a new spray bottle.
The product itself is honestly AMAZING. I have gotten compliments on how my makeup looks after a long day at school, when usually even with a primer and foundation it was melted off by the end.
I have SUPER oily skin in some spots, and dry patches in other areas, this product keeps me shine free ALL DAY, and believe me I've tried everything and this is the only one that works!
PROS:
Keeps your makeup lasting ALL DAY!
Drys quickly
Doesn't leave your face feeling heavy or sticky
Does not dry out face
Controls oil like no other product
CONS:
Burns a little bit when you first spray
Smells strong at first but fades quickly

I would recommend this product 110%

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

These comments are really wrong! The only reason the product isn't spraying properly is because you aren't pressing down completely and without hesitation. If you hesitate when spraying, it comes out kind of like a squirt gun. But, if you spray it quckly all the way it sprays like a mist and sets your makeup perfectly.

on 9/23/2011 1:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Not a fan of this product. It felt very sticky when I sprayed it on my face, and there was no significant improvement with my makeup's staying power. Urban Decay's works much better than this, and I don't feel like I've attacked myself with hairspray.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Cons:
In my case, the spray pump didn't deliver a fine mist like it's supposed to - rather, it often shot a thin stream of the product in some random direction, usually not anywhere near my face.
With almost every day use and a wonky sprayer, Model in a Bottle didn't last more than 3 weeks.
Pretty costly, especially when it doesn't last long.
Spray pump broke after a week (replaced with with a clean hairspray pump - worked better after that).

Pros:
I found that Model in a Bottle works well if I use it first as a primer (mist my face before putting on make-up) and then spray again after my make-up has been applied.

Works reasonably well; my make-up lasts a couple of hours longer than normal.

However, having my make-up last a couple of hours longer isn't really worth the cost, particularly with international shipping and definitely not if hairspray does a similar job.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I do ballroom dance, so I definitely need my makeup to endure a workout. I've tried several makeup fixatives (Urban Decay All Nighter; Make Up For Ever Mix & Fix; even [carefully!] spraying a bit of hairspray on my face), and while Model in a Bottle has its drawbacks, it's the strongest of anything I've used yet. As others have noted, it's quite pricey, and due to the package design, it sprays heavily and runs out very quickly.

It claims to be a "matte finish," but I actually found it made my face look dewy -- it might have just been drawing out the shimmer in my blush, though. It definitely takes away any cakiness from powder or foundation and seemed to automatically blend everything together -- nice and smooth and airbrushed. Since I have an oily T-zone, I just put a bit of powder over it once the spray had dried, and that mattified it pretty well.

I have oily skin that can take a lot of punishment, so I didn't find this to be drying or painful. It definitely has a super-strong chemical scent, though -- to be expected, since the main ingredient is alcohol. When they say wait 30 seconds before opening your eyes, they MEAN it -- if you get impatient, it really stings!

Overall, I don't regret my purchase, but since it's so expensive, and since it seems to have such poor economy, I'll try a few more fixatives before buying again.

EDIT: All right, I've compared the ingredients list of Model in a Bottle to the ingredients in hairspray (Big Sexy Spray & Play, to be specific, but it'll go the same for pretty much any kind of hairspray) and grilled my brother (who has a degree in chemistry) about it. The active ingredient in both of them are copolymers, which is to say adhesive. Flexible, elasticized adhesive. So yes, the previous reviews are correct, and Model in a Bottle is just overpriced hairspray dressed up in an inefficient package. I'm knocking off another lippie for the price, now.

Bottom line: it DOES work, but so will a $2.00 can of AquaNet.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I wanted this product to do what it says it does so badly! A product like that would be an amazing asset to my makeup bag, but unfortunately model in a bottle did not live up to all the hype. I am more than half way through the bottle, I use it usually just for special occassions, dates, long days where I won't be able to touch up my makeup a lot, ect. I literally noticed NOTHING. Some other reviewers said it stung, which I didn't really have a problem with, but then again, my skin is far from sensitive. The bottle was also really messy (I did get it on Ebay, to be fair) it was okay at first, now it's kinda leaky and sticky near the top which makes it a little bit hard to get the cap off. One thing I do like is the smell, call me crazy but I think it smells like Chanel Chance! The bottle is really cute, and it should be considering the price. I would not purchase the product again, it may work for Oprah, but it does nothing for me!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools