Model in a Bottle

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
 Model in a Bottle

2.9

SD Alcohol 40B, Purified Water, Isopentildyol, Acrylates/Octacrylamide Copolymer, Aloe Barbadensis Gel (aloe vera), Biosaccharide Gum-1, Propylaparaben, Methlyparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Let me just say I'm all about the makeup setting sprays. I have combo/oily acne-prone skin and prefer a full-coverage foundation, but there is nothing more IRRITATING than having your flawless face rub, sweat, and smear off during the day. That being said I have tried many setting sprays (skindinavia, nyx, UD), but this is by far my favorite. This spray feels a bit sticky or hairspray-esque shortly after application, but after a few minutes that feeling disappears and you are left with a natural-looking and natural-feeling face. I wouldn't say this is "matte" as the bottle suggests-- I think it just reinforces the finish of the foundation you have on under it, if that makes sense. This product makes my face (foundation, concealer, blush, contour, highlight, brows, eyeshadow, and even LIPSTICK) last until I choose to take it off AND controls my oily t-zone. The price for this product is very reasonable, but I do have one complaint-- the packaging. Even after reformulating and switching the bottle over to a plastic one instead of the old glass one, this bottle still sprays sooo poorly! I have to spray a couple spritzes out into the air before spraying the product onto my face because the first couple "spritzes" are more like heavy streams of huge droplets that I am afraid will ruin my makeup and make it look spotty. Naturally, this bothers me because I am wasting product because of the bad packaging :( BUT, all other issues aside, I really like the product itself for its makeup-prolonging qualities.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS STUFF! I am a makeup artist with super duper sensitive combo skin (with a touch of psoriasis on my cheeks). I used to have to touch-up my makeup several times a day...NOT ANYMORE! I do my makeup once, spray this stuff on (4 sprays) and I don't think about it for the rest of the day! I no longer have to worry about getting makeup on other peoples clothes when I hug them either! I have given away several bottles of this stuff to friends and they love it too!

2 things:
1) yes, it stings a tiny bit (however, it might be my super sensitive skin), but it's not bad at all!
2) be aware of your surroundings when you spray this...it tends to stick to mirrors, phones, glass, etc. and is hard to get off. It also has a lite hairspray effect when it gets on your hair. It's not bad, though. Honestly.

Try it, you won't be disappointed!

On a side note: I've tried UD de-slick and was disappointed. I also tried the setting sprays from Victoria's Secret and e.l.f. and was no where near as impressed as I am with the Model in a Bottle.

I bought this to try out before my wedding in September (yes, it's still several months away, but what can I say? I'm a planner). I've only used it a couple of times and I've noticed a significant difference in how long my makeup stays. I still have to use oil absorbing sheets in my t-zone towards the middle of the day, but the overall look of my foundation and blush looked great, and it's GREAT for eye makeup. Two things I've noticed in the other reviews that might be helpful:
- I found Model in a Bottle on Amazon for $11. That's the price of a good bottle of hairspray, so it's worth trying out. I think I even got free shipping thrown in...
- Get someone else to spray it on your face. I've done it myself several times and I feels a little heavy on my face; I had a friend in town to go to a St. Paddy's Day parade and she sprayed it on my face and it felt much better and my makeup stayed put all day--- and outside in a parade in the deep south-- that's saying something... Just be sure to keep your eyes closed until it feels dry on your face.

on 9/23/2011 1:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Not a fan of this product. It felt very sticky when I sprayed it on my face, and there was no significant improvement with my makeup's staying power. Urban Decay's works much better than this, and I don't feel like I've attacked myself with hairspray.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Cons:
In my case, the spray pump didn't deliver a fine mist like it's supposed to - rather, it often shot a thin stream of the product in some random direction, usually not anywhere near my face.
With almost every day use and a wonky sprayer, Model in a Bottle didn't last more than 3 weeks.
Pretty costly, especially when it doesn't last long.
Spray pump broke after a week (replaced with with a clean hairspray pump - worked better after that).

Pros:
I found that Model in a Bottle works well if I use it first as a primer (mist my face before putting on make-up) and then spray again after my make-up has been applied.

Works reasonably well; my make-up lasts a couple of hours longer than normal.

However, having my make-up last a couple of hours longer isn't really worth the cost, particularly with international shipping and definitely not if hairspray does a similar job.

I ordered this online and tested it out the first time while trying on wedding gowns, and really by the end of the day, my makeup was actually as fresh looking at 1 am as it was at 1 pm! One problem, I broke out in a wicked rash over my entire face. It is strong, (I hate lavender, personally) Also, it does feel like hairspray. I continued to use it, lol, and my skin adjusted to it, and no more reactions. I did wear this on my wedding day, and am thankful that I did.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I do ballroom dance, so I definitely need my makeup to endure a workout. I've tried several makeup fixatives (Urban Decay All Nighter; Make Up For Ever Mix & Fix; even [carefully!] spraying a bit of hairspray on my face), and while Model in a Bottle has its drawbacks, it's the strongest of anything I've used yet. As others have noted, it's quite pricey, and due to the package design, it sprays heavily and runs out very quickly.

It claims to be a "matte finish," but I actually found it made my face look dewy -- it might have just been drawing out the shimmer in my blush, though. It definitely takes away any cakiness from powder or foundation and seemed to automatically blend everything together -- nice and smooth and airbrushed. Since I have an oily T-zone, I just put a bit of powder over it once the spray had dried, and that mattified it pretty well.

I have oily skin that can take a lot of punishment, so I didn't find this to be drying or painful. It definitely has a super-strong chemical scent, though -- to be expected, since the main ingredient is alcohol. When they say wait 30 seconds before opening your eyes, they MEAN it -- if you get impatient, it really stings!

Overall, I don't regret my purchase, but since it's so expensive, and since it seems to have such poor economy, I'll try a few more fixatives before buying again.

EDIT: All right, I've compared the ingredients list of Model in a Bottle to the ingredients in hairspray (Big Sexy Spray & Play, to be specific, but it'll go the same for pretty much any kind of hairspray) and grilled my brother (who has a degree in chemistry) about it. The active ingredient in both of them are copolymers, which is to say adhesive. Flexible, elasticized adhesive. So yes, the previous reviews are correct, and Model in a Bottle is just overpriced hairspray dressed up in an inefficient package. I'm knocking off another lippie for the price, now.

Bottom line: it DOES work, but so will a $2.00 can of AquaNet.

on 10/16/2010 11:26:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

First off I haven't used this much b/c on a daily basis I don't want/need a hairspray on my face. It does leave a hairspray like feel on the face that is sligihtly undesireable.

BUT, I used this on NYE when I went to a club and we'll just say "I celebrated to my fullest." The next day when I was looking at my pictures I noticed that I still looked "cute" at the end of the night eating my huge pizza slice (I usually look very not cute at this point). Then I realized that I wore the Model in a bottle and it really worked. If I went out more I'd use this more.

I haven't tested the Urban Decay all nighter yet but I did spray it on my face and it felt more natural. If it has the same lasting power I'd rather use that.

I really wanted to like this product, but there are just too many negatives. First of all, it made my face feel tight and sticky. Second of all, the spray doesn't always come out in a perfect mist, and half the time comes out in a stream that, of course, never fails to shoot me in the eye and make my mascara run. I've tried cleaning the tip, but it still clogs up. Third, the smell isn't unbearable.. But it definitely could be improved. Fourth, this really isn't a big deal, but I wish it wasn't in a glass bottle because I am so clumsy and it's a miracle it hasn't shattered because I've dropped it so many times.

Overall, I was pretty disappointed. I'll stick with my MAC Fix+.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This stuff is NOT appropriate for oily, acne-prone skin. It feels sticky on the skin and leaves a very shiny finish. It left me with horribly clogged pores and four giant pimples...two on each cheek! Lovely. To top it all off, it didn't keep my makeup in place. In fact, I'd say it had the opposite effect. I put it on in the morning, and when I checked my makeup in the mirror at school later that evening, my makeup looked all clumpy and patchy and gross. For info, I wear BareMinerals foundation, so maybe this stuff just doesn't work with mineral makeup, but overall, I think this stuff is terrible for the skin.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools