Model in a Bottle

Model in a Bottle

2.7

SD Alcohol 40B, Purified Water, Isopentildyol, Acrylates/Octacrylamide Copolymer, Aloe Barbadensis Gel (aloe vera), Biosaccharide Gum-1, Propylaparaben, Methlyparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Fragrance

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

This product does not live up to its hype. It did very little to make my MMU last all day. I used the sensitive skin formula and it aggravated my rosacea. The packaging is the pits, too. Near the end of the bottle the sprayer stopped working, and since its bottled in glass, makes it tricky to take with you when traveling. For those of you who like this product, you can purchase two bottles for $40 some dollars at overstock.com.

I'll tell you what works for me: Aerosol antiperspirant. Yes, you read correctly. Aerosol antiperspirant. Sure Aerosol Antiperspirant, UNCSCENTED. Or any brand - make sure its unscented. My HG. I got this tip from a beauty/fashion book I bought a few years ago. Supposedly this is what women who live in the south use to set their makeup so they're not dripping in perspiration all day in the humid weather. Using this to set my makeup (I use MMU) not only keeps my face nice & dry, I don't have to blot my face multiple times a day - down to once or maybe twice a day now (my skin is combo, very oily t-zone), my crater-sized pores are non-existent, and I have the just made-up look all day. All this for $4.00 bucks a can that lasts for month. After applying your makeup, wait a couple of minutes for mascara to dry completely. Shake the can really good, hold it at arm's length, and spray on your face LIGHTLY, avoiding the eye area. Be sure you use a very light hand when you spray; otherwise you will end up with white powdery stuff on your face. I count to 2 and stop.

Be sure to use a very good makeup remover; I use DHC's cleansing oil, which does a great job at removing makeup. Your face will feel gritty as you wash off your makeup. I then follow up with Avene gel cleanser for normal/sensitve skin.

Another bonus: My rosacea is not affected by using aerosol antiperspirant. In fact, the small, cystic like bumps I used to get with Model in a Bottle is non-existent since I've been using antiperspirant as a makeup finisher. Fabulous!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I do ballroom dance, so I definitely need my makeup to endure a workout. I've tried several makeup fixatives (Urban Decay All Nighter; Make Up For Ever Mix & Fix; even [carefully!] spraying a bit of hairspray on my face), and while Model in a Bottle has its drawbacks, it's the strongest of anything I've used yet. As others have noted, it's quite pricey, and due to the package design, it sprays heavily and runs out very quickly.

It claims to be a "matte finish," but I actually found it made my face look dewy -- it might have just been drawing out the shimmer in my blush, though. It definitely takes away any cakiness from powder or foundation and seemed to automatically blend everything together -- nice and smooth and airbrushed. Since I have an oily T-zone, I just put a bit of powder over it once the spray had dried, and that mattified it pretty well.

I have oily skin that can take a lot of punishment, so I didn't find this to be drying or painful. It definitely has a super-strong chemical scent, though -- to be expected, since the main ingredient is alcohol. When they say wait 30 seconds before opening your eyes, they MEAN it -- if you get impatient, it really stings!

Overall, I don't regret my purchase, but since it's so expensive, and since it seems to have such poor economy, I'll try a few more fixatives before buying again.

EDIT: All right, I've compared the ingredients list of Model in a Bottle to the ingredients in hairspray (Big Sexy Spray & Play, to be specific, but it'll go the same for pretty much any kind of hairspray) and grilled my brother (who has a degree in chemistry) about it. The active ingredient in both of them are copolymers, which is to say adhesive. Flexible, elasticized adhesive. So yes, the previous reviews are correct, and Model in a Bottle is just overpriced hairspray dressed up in an inefficient package. I'm knocking off another lippie for the price, now.

Bottom line: it DOES work, but so will a $2.00 can of AquaNet.

I'm shocked to find such poor reviews of this product. I love it. You have to make sure to spray pretty far away from your face so it doesn't get sticky....but I've noticed that it works better than Urban Decay's. It makes my makeup last all day. I'm a fan. I do have sensitive skin and haven't noticed any problems, been using it about a month.

I heard so many good reviews about this product, so I decided to buy it to try it out. Let's just say it's more like disaster in a bottle..first i put on my makeup as usual and then i went to spray my face just as the directions said. It claims to come out in a "nice mist", um no it was more like a "nice squirt gun to the face" and it shot directly into my eye and started burning. so then since i couldn't open my eyes from the burn, my eye makeup started to run all down my face so then by the time my eyes stopped burning my makeup was all dripping down my face. I can honestly say my makeup looked way better before i put this on my face. It has an extremely strong smell of alcohol which made me question if this was even healthy to put on my skin? (i doubt it) and besides the nasty smell it wreaked of, it burned as soon as it touched my face. & it made my face oily. My face looked better before i even put this product on. Honestly not a difference. & it's expensive, especially for something that doesn't work, don't waste your money. Better off sticking to just doing makeup. I'd rather do touchups every 5 min than deal with all that. It's very obvious that this product was made by some lady trying to find a way to get rich fast, and it works because people buy into it.

UPDATE: I took out the original pump this came with, and i replaced it with a cleaned out hairspray pump that misted instead of "squirting" out at me.....& it still sucks. I honestly look better without this on my face. & also, i went to sephora to test out the setting spray from urban decay, & IT WORKS 100 X BETTER! As soon as the lady sprayed it on my face there was noo smell at all, NO ALCOHOL, & it didn't feel sticky at all...& I'am happy to say my face did not get oily at all! wayyy better product. so i would definitely reccommend trying out the one from urban decay, i'm going to return "disaster in a bottle" for the urban decay one.

I bought this from Valerie's Beauty. I paid less than usual for a slightly damaged but totally functional bottle, and as a result I didn't find the price to be any worse... and in fact to be much better... than most setting sprays.

Initially I found that it stung. My skin is oily, acne prone and mildly sensitive; a product has to be REALLY irritating for me to even notice. So the fact that this stung at first was kind of surprising. Because it stung, and it caught me off guard, I opened my eyes immediately after spraying (not really thinking) and it stung my eyes. Not badly, just sort of, "Ow, duh, maybe I should keep my eyes closed."

After it dried a bit and my husband stopped mocking me for whining about the stinging, I looked lovely. I certainly did have an airbrushed look. Sometimes I have a problem with a dry-looking finish with MMU, sometimes not, but if I did this morning this stuff certainly did away with it.

My problem with the product that it's primary function, which is to keep makeup in place and eliminate the need for touch ups... it failed miserably. I usually need to blot once around lunchtime and lately, while experimenting with MMU brands, haven't needed to reapply at all. I didn't reapply for lack of time, but I did need to blot, and I still didn't look so hot after blotting.

On thing I can say in it's favor is that my eyeshadow, which creases only slightly when I use Urban Decay Primer Potion, wore like stone with this added to it. I may see if I can use this just on my eye area.... I suppose we'll see for that. But definately not all over my face.

I bought the 'sensitive' version which is a couple of bucks more expensive than the regular type. It does sting a little when you first put it on, and it feels a lot like hair spray would, were you to spray your face. Just keep your eyes closed for a little bit and the minimal discomfort you might feel goes away in a few seconds.

I have very oily skin, so I'm really putting this stuff to the test. I do find that my foundation stays longer, but my eye make up is what really lasts all night on this stuff.

What I like about it is that it gives my face a really nice glow. I would definitely buy again.

I only use it for special occasions. I live in the Arizona so it gets hot out here!

on 8/2/2006 2:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Nothing but hair spray packaged in a pretty bottle! Enough said.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Let me just say I'm all about the makeup setting sprays. I have combo/oily acne-prone skin and prefer a full-coverage foundation, but there is nothing more IRRITATING than having your flawless face rub, sweat, and smear off during the day. That being said I have tried many setting sprays (skindinavia, nyx, UD), but this is by far my favorite. This spray feels a bit sticky or hairspray-esque shortly after application, but after a few minutes that feeling disappears and you are left with a natural-looking and natural-feeling face. I wouldn't say this is "matte" as the bottle suggests-- I think it just reinforces the finish of the foundation you have on under it, if that makes sense. This product makes my face (foundation, concealer, blush, contour, highlight, brows, eyeshadow, and even LIPSTICK) last until I choose to take it off AND controls my oily t-zone. The price for this product is very reasonable, but I do have one complaint-- the packaging. Even after reformulating and switching the bottle over to a plastic one instead of the old glass one, this bottle still sprays sooo poorly! I have to spray a couple spritzes out into the air before spraying the product onto my face because the first couple "spritzes" are more like heavy streams of huge droplets that I am afraid will ruin my makeup and make it look spotty. Naturally, this bothers me because I am wasting product because of the bad packaging :( BUT, all other issues aside, I really like the product itself for its makeup-prolonging qualities.

on 6/13/2013 3:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I bought this setting spray in the matte finish a while back. When I sprayed it the irritation it brought to my skin was ridiculous. I felt stingy and dry. I get that it's supposed to make me oil-free, but the fact that my skin felt tight was not right. (I rhyme on the daily) I get that this is supposed to be an alternative for higher brands, but I rather just dish out the money for a more expensive one.

on 2/4/2013 10:23:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I AM IN LOVE! I ordered this online from the model in a bottle website and was disappointed when it arrived in the mail. The bottle would not spray....I looked at it closer and the tube that sucks up the product had a hole in it. Not impressed, but not a big deal. I just went to the dollar store and picked up a new spray bottle.
The product itself is honestly AMAZING. I have gotten compliments on how my makeup looks after a long day at school, when usually even with a primer and foundation it was melted off by the end.
I have SUPER oily skin in some spots, and dry patches in other areas, this product keeps me shine free ALL DAY, and believe me I've tried everything and this is the only one that works!
PROS:
Keeps your makeup lasting ALL DAY!
Drys quickly
Doesn't leave your face feeling heavy or sticky
Does not dry out face
Controls oil like no other product
CONS:
Burns a little bit when you first spray
Smells strong at first but fades quickly

I would recommend this product 110%