Laura Tonatto Magnifico

No Image

2.8

on 3/19/2010 6:11:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This is an interesting scent. It is a warm green/floral scent. The initial spritz is very strong and almost masculine. However, it softens to a dynamic feminine perfume that I would not hesitate to wear on a first date. The notes of orange flower and lemon are prominent and a little bit of the fig aroma is evident to the nose. Good sillage, but staying power is mediocre. I hesitate about buying a full bottle.

EDIT: I am downgrading it to three lippies, after all. It is a little bit too masculine for me, esp in warm weather.

Almost all my life, I've been surrounded with Italians. Heck, I'm even married to one. There are a few fragrances that are truly very Italian to me: Frapin 1270, Malizia. They're comfort scents to me in that way because they bring to me my husband, no matter where we are or what moment we're in. Magnifico, to me, is an Italian best friend of mine from high school. Rather, it's her house. It's her large, cherrywood trimmed sofa with floral print upholstery. It's her mother, calling out, "Mangia! Mangia!" from the ever busy kitchen. It's the older women of Little Italy! It's not that Magnifico smells like pasta or even wine, but the presence of figs is definitely there, although not in the basic, "Oh, would you like some figs?" sense. I wouldn't wear this on myself, but I wouldn't hesitate to give it as a gift to my old best friend's mother, or come to think of it, my old best friend herself. I guarantee she would love it, and that it would suit her. It's a two-lippie for me, a four if I imagine it on someone else. Let's compromise, shall we? Magnifico shall get a three. continued >>

on 11/11/2005 11:22:00 AM

I had such high hopes for this one, given its notes. But I found that it smells remarkably like a bad designer impostor of Drakkar for men. I get no fig at all, only a fairly masculine-smelling (and fairly cheap-smelling) scent. It's not even as nice as Drakkar; it's more like one of those $5 rip-offs you find at a drugstore. I hope the rest of her fragrances are better than this.

on 11/10/2005 11:00:00 AM

The name of this perfume is a cute play on words in Italian, fico means fig, and magnifico means magnificent. Although the name is cute and this fig perfume is nice, I wasn't that enraptured with it. I love Laura Tonatto's line very much, but this fig has a masculine cologne vibe to it (especially in the beginning) that doesn't agree with my tastes. I can definitely smell the fig, and it's one of the best figs I've smelled, but it lacks the sweetness I am looking for. It is a refeshing citrus-infused fig at first, then becomes more of a fig and woods scent as it develops on the skin. It's a nicely composed fig perfume, but it's missing the vanilla/sweetness I love. It is not foody as in gourmand, even though it starts out with orange, lemon, and figs. Then I get the lavender and licorice too. In the end, I'm left with fresh ripe figs and sandalwood. It's kind of herbaceous and green, with a fresh citrus thread throughout. Magnifico is a citrusy, herbal, woodsy fig, not a sweet, milky, gourmand one. I'm sure many will enjoy this great scent. Notes: wild figs, orange, lemon, yang, lavender, licorice, and Indian sandalwood.

Popular Fragrances