Alpha Skin Care Refreshing Face Wash

Filtered by skin tone : Olive
Alpha Skin Care Refreshing Face Wash

4.4

2018 Version:Water, Decyl Glucoside, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl Palmate, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, PEG-3 Distearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Idopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Sodium Chloride

on 3/10/2017 1:01:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have used this cleanser for years. I had very oily skin most of my life, and now that I am older, this is still one of the most gentle cleansers that really gets my skin clean. It can be wiped off with a cloth if you are in a situation with no water (like camping). It also cleans most eye makeup and is fairly gentle on the eyes, although the past year or so I have noticed it does sting more than it used to if it gets right in the eye.

The price is also very right.

on 8/7/2016 2:18:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I just finished my first bottle of this cleanser. The current name is Alpha Skin Care Refreshing Face Wash, and is the same formula as Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash with new packaging and branding.

I've been exploring the Alpha Skincare line of products for several months now, and so far I am greatly impressed. I bought the face wash during a dry weather spell, because my usual day time cleanser was was a bit too much. The product is a colorless pearlescent liquid, about the same viscosity of liquid dish soap. It is fragrance free, and emulsifies to a rich creamy lather with a tiny amount of water. The lather has great slip, which prevents tugging at the skin. I typically use a microfiber cloth to massage the cleanser around my face, neck and ears, and it holds up very well without turning thin. It rinses easily with water.

I found this product to be non-irritating, and it is perfect for normal to slightly dry or slightly oily skin. When my combination skin is having one of its more normal days, it doesn't over dry, and doesn't leave me greasy. If I have any thing to nitpick about, it would be that the formula is quite simple, for example, it might be nice if it had some anti-irritant ingredients. On the other hand, sometimes simple wins the day, especially for sensitive skin (which I have).

The formula contains Citric Acid, a form of AHA. Because this is a product that does not stay on the face, I didn't expect to it have any exfoliating properties--and it didn't. However, the acid content, and therefore pH balance, is a great prep for other acid products that might follow, whether that is Alpha's own AHA offerings, or other acid actives like BHA. I will definitely repurchase--the entire Alpha line is a super value for money, and is highly effective.

Ingredients: Water, Decyl Glucoside, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl Palmate, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, PEG-3 Distearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Idopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Sodium Chloride

on 3/6/2016 11:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Gave me huge cystic acne on my chin 3-4 days after I started using it everyday at night. The great thing is that this cleanser definitely removes makeup amazingly well - better than some luxury brand oil-free cleansers that claim to do the same. But of course, it's not worth it if it causes painful cysts in the process! I definitely do not recommend to anyone with very reactive skin.

on 1/30/2012 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I love this cleanser. This face wash foams up great and cleans my face very well. It removes every trace of makeup and makes my skin so smooth. I have noticed that acne scars have lightened, too. I have tried many cleansers like Clean and Clear, Purpose, Cetaphil, Olay, Mario Badescu, Proactiv and more and have not been as pleased as I have with this one. The packaging is pretty basic, but I don't get why people complain about something as stupid as that. You're not uploading pics of it on Facebook, so who cares?! It comes in a squeeze bottle, so it's hygienic. If you want pretty packaging, get some rhinestones and glue them onto the bottle...Geez.......Walgreens carries this, as well as Ulta.
EDIT-After using this a while, it seems that it's a bit drying. Still a good cleanser, but not for every day use.

on 11/23/2011 11:41:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I can't rave enough about my alpha hydrox line! I use the cleanser every night and the face cream every morning and night. my skin is the closest to perfect it has EVER been! i also use my obey your body peeling gel 1-2 times a week. about a month ago my face was so itchy and broken out and irritated. it's insane that it turned aroung so quickly with these products. i had to get the cleanser at ulta in the states for about 8 bucks US. the cream was 9 CAN at winners. if you hgave breakout prone skin that is dry like me i would totally recommend this. for reference, i am used to wearing full coverage makeup everyday (vichy dermablend, MAC studio sculpt) now i just wear a bit of powder (smashbox Halo) and concealor for under my eyes (because nothing works to get rid of mydark circles.) my skin looks and feels soft and clear. so happy with alpha hydrox. i hear it is discontinued so i will be buying up all i can.

on 11/5/2011 12:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Awesome cleanser! I was previously using DHC soap and knew it's probably not a great idea due to of its pH balance so I was deciding whether to try this or Murad and since this one has more positive comments here, so I ordered online and the price was pretty reasonable. I'm on my 5th use and I really like it, no alcohol or any perfumes and it cleans off my mascara too. No squeaky feeling after rinsing. Feels very clean afterwards.

on 6/9/2011 10:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

Alpha Hydox is the BEST KEPT SECRET I know of! I've been using it for 25 yrs and friends now email/txt me to ask what my secret is for looking younger than my 58 real yrs. I have very sensitive skin and AH never bothers it. You only need a pea sized amount, on a gentle face brush. A bottle of the face scrub lasts me about 6mos. It rinses off completely, isn't drying. I use several other of the AH line, also~the price is affordable, the Neoteric website is EZ to use and items arrive promptly and packed well. I hated when WallyWorld stopped carrying the AH line, but am happier that I found that and MORE on the Neoteric website. The body wash is wonderful, too!
You just can't go wrong here!

This product is wonderful--it's pH balanced, soap free and doesn't irritate my skin. I heard you should be gentle with your skin especially if you have acne, and I've been taking that advice to heart. I use this cleanser by taking a dime-sized amount, lathering it up and massaging it into my skin for about 2 minutes. When I rinse it off, my face feels clean, without stripping off the moisture.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

For reference I am 49 yrs old. Combination oily normal. T zone is oily. Have had acne issues all of my life. Fine lines including above the lip. Sun spots and slight to moderate crows feet.

This product does perform as advertised. It cleanses my skin without stripping it. It removes all makeup (excluding waterproof mascara or EL but I use a specific remover for that, Lancome).

I never have to worry about traces of foundation or other makeup being left behind.

Yes I will purchase this again and keep using it. I picked up this last bottle for about 5 US dollars at a local drug store. Good deal and it does work.

on 10/29/2010 11:53:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I'm on my third bottle with plans to purchase more. Having used a variety of cleansers in the past, most having been too drying (though I continue to use Cetaphil for normal/oily skin when in a pinch), I've settled on this one for the time being. Not overly drying or harsh. Removes makeup well enough (though obviously with heavy eye makeup a separate remover works better). Can't complain. Gentle enough for daily use on my sensitive, combo skin. I like it.

Update 08/2011: Still liking this facial soap. Works nicely for washing the entire face since it doesn't irritate my eyes.

Update 01/26/2012: Bought a couple more bottles. Am beginning to stockpile. ;-) It's still a good, gentle daily cleanser, though I have looked into an acne-treatment cleanser to alternate with this foaming face wash. I ordered Zapzyt's acne kit (includes a salicylic acid face wash and two treatment gels) to try after reading positive reviews and will see how that goes. But I have no plans on discontinuing the use of the reviewed face wash. Reasonably priced and effective, just not designed by itself to clear up acne (nor does it cause breakouts on me).