Alpha Skin Care Refreshing Face Wash

Filtered by eye Color : Black
Alpha Skin Care Refreshing Face Wash

3.9

2018 Version:Water, Decyl Glucoside, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl Palmate, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, PEG-3 Distearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Idopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Sodium Chloride

on 1/13/2017 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

tldr; This is a super effective cleanser that removes most makeup and sunscreen.

I bought the full line of alpha hydrox products after liking the retinol resq and this is probably my fave of the lot. It's a citric acid based foaming cleanser of ph 6.2. I was previously using Purpose gentle cleanser, and disliked that it does not remove makeup at all. I don't wear waterproof makeup on a day to day basis and I use this daily, to remove my makeup and cleanse. I don't have to use an additional makeup remover. FYI It does not remove waterproof mascara fully. It leaves skin feeling "squeaky clean" without feeling too tight (I have combo - dry skin).

The only downside is that it's hard to find in Canada (but so was Purpose) so I just bulk buy when I cross the border. Ulta usually has BOGO on Alpha products.

on 9/23/2015 10:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

After using ~4+ bottles of this stuff, here goes...

After using a much more expensive ($30) Boscia face wash that was basically the same (except Boscia tests on animals and Alpha Hydrox doesn't) I'm ready to switch back. Both super-basic face washes. No unnecessary bells or whistles that (according to Paula Beugon) won't have contact on your face long enough to have an effect, which I agree.

Something that was a perk: it's gentle enough to remove eye makeup. It used to be written right there on the bottle. Though it was removed prob b/c they finally hired a lawyer that thought it was a bad idea & not a reformulation issue.

The beef I have with this ultra-gentle cleanser is that it has a super-low amount of surfactants (chemicals that make things slippery, like glycerin/silicone). If my face is a tad too wet (aka, if I'm in the shower or using a scrub pad), I need to double the amount I'm using. After 2 months, I'm run low, so the re-purchase rate is a little too frequent for my taste...Buut I've yet to find a good replacement.

For anyone that's vegan, the glycerin they use is vegetable-based, but the customer rep "wouldn't call it a vegetarian product," even though that was the only possible animal-based ingredient. Ookay...

on 6/10/2012 2:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Its a good, foamy, lathering cream face wash in a pump. I used it with my Clarisonic and found it made my skin more red. Its probably because I was over exfoliating my face. If your going to use this to hand wash your face then it will work nicely, as its very pH balancing & oil free. I find it to be effective even if I use it every other day with my clarisonic and alternate. But for daily use, I had to choose-Clarisonic or AHA face wash, I chose my Clarisonic.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This is one of the most drying cleansers that i have ever used on my face. I honestly wouldn't recommend it for use on any skintype, because there is nothing positive about this cleanser at all. As it has a very chemical smell, and it ended up drying out and irritating my face and eye area badly. Which is why, i had to stop use of it, because i felt like all that is was doing was ruining the skin on my face the longer that i used it.

This cleanser is terrible, and never will i buy it again.

on 12/19/2011 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

A nice mild cleanser, but after a couple of years of use I decided I needed something a little stronger at night for my oily face. I wear a lot of makeup to cover my acne scars and dark spots.

I use this in the mornings after I exercise and before I put on my moisturizer/makeup for the day. It's just right.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I heard of Alpha Hydrox on a site and people were ranting and raving about the souffle so i decided to try out the cleanser because mine was running out. I expected alot but the cleanser did abosolutely nothing to improve the appearance of skin. All it did was clean it pretty nicely really. Regular, basic cleanser, nothing special.

on 11/5/2008 7:26:00 PM

I cant tell you how bad this product is on my skin, its itchy like hell specially on my lips, gave me rashes and painful pimples, dry patches on forhead and around lips. I am shocked after my 5 days (every night). Surprisingly, the existing acne on my forehead left by olay facewash disappeared with this. May be I'll try this only on the forehead!

on 6/15/2008 9:37:00 AM

Excellent face wash I've ever tried! The product can remove makeup and dirts, with no dry feelings on face. Rather better than the cleansers dry me before. Certainly will buy it again.

on 11/5/2007 2:54:00 AM

My HG cleanser! So soft and gentle yet so effective. Gets the makeup and dirt off but leaves your skin really soft. Love it!!!!

on 8/8/2007 1:27:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Leaves face feeling clean and fresh without being "stripped". It can't remove heavy makeup or sunscreen. For that, I use oil (I have a mix of Jojoba, Camellia, Rose Hip & Vitamin E oil) to "soften" or dissolve the makeup/sunscreen first, then I wash with Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash. This works perfectly. It's unscented and feels very gentle. It doesn't even sting if it gets into your eyes. Doesn't leave a film (like Cetaphil). Love it!