Alpha Skin Care Refreshing Face Wash

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Alpha Skin Care Refreshing Face Wash

4.2

2018 Version:Water, Decyl Glucoside, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl Palmate, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, PEG-3 Distearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Idopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Sodium Chloride

on 3/10/2017 1:01:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have used this cleanser for years. I had very oily skin most of my life, and now that I am older, this is still one of the most gentle cleansers that really gets my skin clean. It can be wiped off with a cloth if you are in a situation with no water (like camping). It also cleans most eye makeup and is fairly gentle on the eyes, although the past year or so I have noticed it does sting more than it used to if it gets right in the eye.

The price is also very right.

on 1/13/2017 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

tldr; This is a super effective cleanser that removes most makeup and sunscreen.

I bought the full line of alpha hydrox products after liking the retinol resq and this is probably my fave of the lot. It's a citric acid based foaming cleanser of ph 6.2. I was previously using Purpose gentle cleanser, and disliked that it does not remove makeup at all. I don't wear waterproof makeup on a day to day basis and I use this daily, to remove my makeup and cleanse. I don't have to use an additional makeup remover. FYI It does not remove waterproof mascara fully. It leaves skin feeling "squeaky clean" without feeling too tight (I have combo - dry skin).

The only downside is that it's hard to find in Canada (but so was Purpose) so I just bulk buy when I cross the border. Ulta usually has BOGO on Alpha products.

on 8/7/2016 2:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I just finished my first bottle of this cleanser. The current name is Alpha Skin Care Refreshing Face Wash, and is the same formula as Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash with new packaging and branding.

I've been exploring the Alpha Skincare line of products for several months now, and so far I am greatly impressed. I bought the face wash during a dry weather spell, because my usual day time cleanser was was a bit too much. The product is a colorless pearlescent liquid, about the same viscosity of liquid dish soap. It is fragrance free, and emulsifies to a rich creamy lather with a tiny amount of water. The lather has great slip, which prevents tugging at the skin. I typically use a microfiber cloth to massage the cleanser around my face, neck and ears, and it holds up very well without turning thin. It rinses easily with water.

I found this product to be non-irritating, and it is perfect for normal to slightly dry or slightly oily skin. When my combination skin is having one of its more normal days, it doesn't over dry, and doesn't leave me greasy. If I have any thing to nitpick about, it would be that the formula is quite simple, for example, it might be nice if it had some anti-irritant ingredients. On the other hand, sometimes simple wins the day, especially for sensitive skin (which I have).

The formula contains Citric Acid, a form of AHA. Because this is a product that does not stay on the face, I didn't expect to it have any exfoliating properties--and it didn't. However, the acid content, and therefore pH balance, is a great prep for other acid products that might follow, whether that is Alpha's own AHA offerings, or other acid actives like BHA. I will definitely repurchase--the entire Alpha line is a super value for money, and is highly effective.

Ingredients: Water, Decyl Glucoside, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl Palmate, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, PEG-3 Distearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Idopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Sodium Chloride

Been using this with my Clarisonic for over a year now. Great basic cleanser, great price. No need to buy higher end product. This is thorough and leaves skin balanced.

on 11/11/2015 7:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

One of the best cleansers I have ever tried. I just wish Canada would start carrying this line again. I try to stock up when I travel to the U.S, but it has been difficult to find lately. I only use this cleanser at night to remove anything the Clinique TTDO has not removed so 1 bottle lasted over a year for me. I also like that this does not make my face feel dry or tight after cleansing and removes any last trace of makeup left along my hairline.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Every time I get aggravated with another cleanser, I go back to alpha hydrox foaming. Cerave (both formulations,) cetaphil, albolene, ponds cream (I do like this one for makeup removal, though), proactiv, olay sensitive...the list goes on, but I'm confident you get the idea. Alpha hydrox doesn't *amaze me* as far its anti-aging abilities go (I'd not mention this but its on the label--one can only expect so much as far as product that stays on your skin so briefly), and it may prove quite drying for some. However, it is the one cleanser I can foam up, rub all over my face, and not worry about the consequences, and there's something to be said for that.

Sometimes I use alpha hydrox with my olay pro x brush; other times, I just use a simple wash cloth. If I've worn heavy duty makeup that day, I do pre-cleanse before using this, just to be sure. It does not sting my eye area, and I have quite sensitive eyes (plus wear contacts.) i do not recommend it as an eye makeup remover, but its great that it doesn't sting that area.

The price is not so bad--right in the middle for me, bit high for drugstores ($10 or so IME.) I use extrabucks from CVS to counter that. Love this product, and though i anticipate more experimentation in my face wash horizon, I always love to have this around when those experiments go awry.

on 4/6/2013 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I really wanted to like this product based on the great reviews. I like the fact that it's fragrance free and low foaming, but this has been very drying on my combo/dry skin. It may be a better option in the summer as a PM wash as it reacts negatively with a spf moisturizer I use in the AM.

on 3/15/2013 8:21:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

I am usually vigilant about product ingredients before I use them on myself and I was wary of this product because it contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate and even Sodium Chloride (salt!) but I bought this anyway because of the great reviews on Makeupalley. MUA has proved extremely helpful to me over the years unfortunately this one did not live up to the rating - for me, anyway. I use a gentle cleanser in the AM (non foaming or stripping) and then in the PM remove my makeup with my usual Bioderma H20/Simple Wipes/a mild non-foaming cleanser and then maybe Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion afterwards as BHA toner. This time I used this to cleanse after removing makeup, then Decleor night balm. Literally even with the balm my skin felt so parched and I could tell this had "stripped" my skin and disrupted its protective acid mantle. The next morning I woke up to an irritated rash on my cheeks - like small red blisters. I could also feel an under the skin spot forming on my cheek. I immediately slathered on a rich, soothing mosituriser and luckily this calmed my face and stopped it from getting worse. The rash and spot luckily settled the next day however this experience was enough to make me throw out the wash. I should have known better anything "foaming" is too drying and stripping for me. Plus the claims of this product are false - they claim the product is "soap free" yet Sodium Laureth Sulfate is indeed one of the ingredients (albeit low down in the list - it's still there!). Plus the way you get most products to foam is the presence of a soap/detergent (SLS)!!! I stupidly thought because it wasn't in the top ingredients it would be fine but this experience has taught me to stay away from all skin products with SLS in the ingredients in future and I urge anyone else to do this even if they have combo skin (like me) or even oily...

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I really wanted to like this product (as well as other Alpha Hydrox products) but I really don't think it's for me.
I purchased this a few months ago and have been using it religiously since then, both in conjunction with the 10% Enhanced Lotion and more recently, alone. This makes my face so overwhelmingly dry and tight. It seems as though no amount of moisturizer will replenish my skin once it's been washed with this. To even raise an eyebrow or smile feels uncomfortable. My skin looks terrible.
Since I've been using Alpha Hydrox products, I've noticed that my skin has become much more fussy and aggravated than usual also- probably because it's so dry. Winter definitely isn't helping but I stay inside most of the time. I haven't seen any difference in my skin aside from the fact that it is unbearably dry and more prone to irritation than it was before. Basic cleansers like Cetaphil seem to do a 1,000 times better for my skin than this does.

on 11/2/2012 3:52:00 AM

Lovely product, one of my favourites. A little goes a long way, does not dry out the skin and is fragrance free.I hate fragranced skin care, that nice smell that so many people seem to want in their face creams and washes is not skin care.No dry tight feeling after using this, just nice and soft. This is a water soluable cleanser with just a slight foaming action.I will buy this again and again.