Alpha Skin Care Refreshing Face Wash

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Alpha Skin Care Refreshing Face Wash

4.3

2018 Version:Water, Decyl Glucoside, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl Palmate, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, PEG-3 Distearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Idopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Sodium Chloride

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I've used this on and off since my teens, and now I'm my 30's, it still rocks. I go from one product to another, but always come back to this.

It is gentle on my sensitive skin and removes makeup very well. Cleans out the pores and with constant use, has a pretty good resurfacing effect when combined with the AHA lotion, for the price. I found a bottle at Tuesday Morning for $5 and was ecstatic! Doesn't strip the face of all moisture, but really helps my combo-oily skin.

I'd think they need a nicer bottle, a more modern look, but I guess it is what keeps it affordable, thank you!

It is a product for the younger faces, but can be used as you get older. Personally, I love it. It's a steal no matter where you get it. Great starter regimen for daughters.

The first time I used this my face felt SO smooth afterwards. It's great if you need to remove stubborn make up - doesn't sting your eyes at all and takes everything off with ease.

However as a daily face wash it's not strong enough for me. I don't have acne but I do have stubborn blackheads which this doesn't clear. I like to have it to take my make up off but need something with a deeper cleanse as a daily face wash.

I might try it again as a night wash and see how that works.

on 1/19/2014 3:15:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

PROS: Cleans everything off. Doesn't dry me out or over moisturize me.

CONS: Doesn't work the best with Clarisonic. Need to pause a lot to foam it back up, otherwise it loses substance.

OTHER: It smells exactly like pHisoderm, another pH balanced cleanser. Maybe they use similar balancing ingredients. The one I'm reviewing has alkyl polyglycoside, though the official site says it should include Decyl Polyglucoside. They must have reformulated it. I will try the newer one in time.

OVERALL: I'd buy it again. It's a good cleanser, I can't find much fault with it.

on 11/4/2013 6:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Although I've been happy with the Free and Clear Liquid Cleanser, it started to make my skin just a little dry as the weather got cooler, and I thought it would be nice to get a cleanser I can purchase locally (rather than online). So I went to my local Ulta and bought the Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash because it gets rave reviews. Unfortunately, however, I find it even more drying than the Free and Clear. My skin became so uncomfortable that I had to stop using it and order an old favorite cleanser--Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Cleanser. I guess I'll use up the rest of the Alpha Hydrox cleanser as a body wash. Other than causing dryness, it is a nice cleanser--removes makeup, rinses easily, and doesn't irritate skin or eyes.

Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Decyl Polyglucose, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Citric Acid, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Propylene Glycol, PEG-3 Distearate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Ammonium Hydroxide. continued >>

on 10/1/2013 9:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I just picked up a bottle of this low-foaming cleanser at Wallgreen's for under $6.00 bucks. Unlike most of the Alpha Hydrox products, this doesn't contain glycolic acid. It does, however, contain citric acid which is a type of AHA, but I don't think the PH is low enough to allow exfoliation. Not that it matters too much since you're just going to rinse it down the drain. Exfoiliating or not, after using it a few times, I have to say I'm really pleased with the results. My skin feels very soft and clean. I especially liked how quickly this removes oil and makeup without making me feel dry or tight. Just for the record, I have combination (normal to oily) sensitive skin. This might be too strong for someone who is super dry. Also, although this does foam, it doesn't foam nearly as much as the average foaming cleanser. So if you're into lots of bubbles, this might not be for you. Overall, a great product.

EDIT:
After using this for a while, I've started to notice some dryness. Not a lot, but I probably wouldn't buy it again. I only took off one lippie though, because it would probably be great for someone with super oily skin. For the record, I've switched to Aquanil.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I bought this face wash after reading the fantastic reviews about it from MU.
Overall, I think it's an effective cleanser, though sometimes it can be a little too drying for me, personally (which is surprising, since normally I never mind or notice any dryness from cleansers).
Did this prevent breakouts? I honestly do not think it prevented any breakouts on my face, but I also don't think it created any breakouts, which is always a good thing! I use it for taking off makeup when I don't want to use a makeup remover pad on my skin- which is practically always.
I don't particularly like the bottle it comes in. The packaging is certainly sturdy, and there's certainly a good amount of product in the package, but I think this cleanser would be better fit for a pump bottle. Honestly, though, I don't care too terribly much about this tiny little factor and it absolutely does not effect how the face wash itself works.

Also, I really do not like the ingredient list. Ammonium Hydroxide, parabens, sulfates... just not my cup of tea, I suppose. However, the price for all Alpha Hydrox products are generally just fantastic, so you can expect to get what you paid for and more. (:
I just felt that this was... average. I'll probably stick this with my Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser and use it for removing skin makeup and for use after exercising. My search for an HG cruelty-free cleanser continues, though!

EDIT:
I'm going to change my rating and bump this up a lippie- I feel that I didn't give it the credit it deserves overall for effectiveness. Again, it takes off all of my makeup and I don't feel that it dries me out like other cleansers sometimes do.

on 10/15/2012 2:31:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

This stuff is pretty good! I've been using it for about a month and a half now. It doesn't dry out your skin like most other face washes, and it doesn't leave that sticky feeling afterwards. I was surprised that it was so gentle on my skin, since most cleansers break me out. It balances out the pH of your skin, and I've noticed that my oily areas are no longer as oily, and my dry areas are no longer dry. It doesn't keep acne away like I hoped, but it does prevent it from getting really big and red.

on 10/1/2012 1:05:00 AM

I was like the bad boyfriend to this product for over 10 years, always thinking it wasn't good enough for me, looking around for something better, prettier & would smell better. I don't know if I'm finally going to settle down and "marry" this face wash but I think my last attempt at "cheating" with Philosophy's Purity Made Simple has finally made me admit that Alpha Hydrox' Foaming Face Wash is a hell of a lot better than most products out there for cleaning your face. Sorry, but that Purity stuff is totally over-hyped! Yes, it has cool packaging and smells awesome, but that's the best part about it.

The positives about Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash:
- gentle & good for sensitive skin
- removes makeup including eye makeup (except for waterproof mascara) and does not sting my super-sensitive eyes (and I rub it around all over my eyes with them open!)
- cleans thoroughly without stripping skin; does not leave skin all tight.

Things I don't love:
- really boring packaging (but see, this shouldn't be important, right?)
- no smell (which also should be a good thing, right?)
- the formula has become more liquid-like in the past several years; when I first started using it Colorado (where it was first available), it was closer to a thicker gel-like formula even though it was still a lotion. Now it is much more lotion-like and I'm not sure if I like the texture as much. But eh, at this point, I'm coming around to thinking I wouldn't know what to do if this wasn't available any more, so I should stop finding excuses to complain about this cleanser! LOL.

I really wonder how many people would keep using Purity if they tried the Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash. I mean, I know the packaging can make a huge psychological difference, but I think the Alpha Hydrox product is really the better product and I think it's less than half the price of Purity. Haha.

on 9/9/2012 4:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Got it free when I purchased the 10% aha lotion. Broke me out like crazy! There's more than 20 red bumps on my chin, each of them with a yellow head. I know it's this cleanser because I never get such severe breakouts all at once. Didn't experience any stinging

on 8/12/2012 5:41:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

CAUTION - Be careful around your eyes. This product is actually pretty awesome. It will exfoliate your skin and help keep pores clear. It says it is gentle enough to use around your eyes, but after two or three weeks of using this I developed a reaction around my eyes. So I recommend with reservations. Avoid your eye area!
Edit - some of the reviewers below question the AHA quantity in this product. I can assure you there is plenty of glycolic acid in it because it significantly increased my tendency to sunburn.