Alpha Hydrox Alpha Skin Care Refreshing Face Wash

Alpha Hydrox Alpha Skin Care Refreshing Face Wash

4.2

Water, Glycerin, Alkyl Polyglycoside, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, PEG 200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl Palmate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG 7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, PEG 3 Distearate, Ammonium Hydroxide, Sodium Chloride

on 1/13/2017 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

tldr; This is a super effective cleanser that removes most makeup and sunscreen.

I bought the full line of alpha hydrox products after liking the retinol resq and this is probably my fave of the lot. It's a citric acid based foaming cleanser of ph 6.2. I was previously using Purpose gentle cleanser, and disliked that it does not remove makeup at all. I don't wear waterproof makeup on a day to day basis and I use this daily, to remove my makeup and cleanse. I don't have to use an additional makeup remover. FYI It does not remove waterproof mascara fully. It leaves skin feeling "squeaky clean" without feeling too tight (I have combo - dry skin).

The only downside is that it's hard to find in Canada (but so was Purpose) so I just bulk buy when I cross the border. Ulta usually has BOGO on Alpha products.

on 8/7/2016 2:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I just finished my first bottle of this cleanser. The current name is Alpha Skin Care Refreshing Face Wash, and is the same formula as Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash with new packaging and branding.

I've been exploring the Alpha Skincare line of products for several months now, and so far I am greatly impressed. I bought the face wash during a dry weather spell, because my usual day time cleanser was was a bit too much. The product is a colorless pearlescent liquid, about the same viscosity of liquid dish soap. It is fragrance free, and emulsifies to a rich creamy lather with a tiny amount of water. The lather has great slip, which prevents tugging at the skin. I typically use a microfiber cloth to massage the cleanser around my face, neck and ears, and it holds up very well without turning thin. It rinses easily with water.

I found this product to be non-irritating, and it is perfect for normal to slightly dry or slightly oily skin. When my combination skin is having one of its more normal days, it doesn't over dry, and doesn't leave me greasy. If I have any thing to nitpick about, it would be that the formula is quite simple, for example, it might be nice if it had some anti-irritant ingredients. On the other hand, sometimes simple wins the day, especially for sensitive skin (which I have).

The formula contains Citric Acid, a form of AHA. Because this is a product that does not stay on the face, I didn't expect to it have any exfoliating properties--and it didn't. However, the acid content, and therefore pH balance, is a great prep for other acid products that might follow, whether that is Alpha's own AHA offerings, or other acid actives like BHA. I will definitely repurchase--the entire Alpha line is a super value for money, and is highly effective.

Ingredients: Water, Decyl Glucoside, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl Palmate, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, PEG-3 Distearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Idopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Sodium Chloride

on 3/6/2016 11:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Gave me huge cystic acne on my chin 3-4 days after I started using it everyday at night. The great thing is that this cleanser definitely removes makeup amazingly well - better than some luxury brand oil-free cleansers that claim to do the same. But of course, it's not worth it if it causes painful cysts in the process! I definitely do not recommend to anyone with very reactive skin.

Been using this with my Clarisonic for over a year now. Great basic cleanser, great price. No need to buy higher end product. This is thorough and leaves skin balanced.

on 12/22/2015 8:23:00 AM

so i tried this and found out that ingredients that starts with coco- break me out.ive learned that they are derived from the fatty acids of coconut oil and i think anything that is coconut oil related just never fails to break me out. this face wash contains those ingredients and in a matter of 12 hours gave me 3 cystic pimples and i just couldnt believe it having based it on the positive reviews.

pros: affordable
cons: breaks me out in a matter of hours.

i ask myself why i always try to change my routine when i no longer have acne problem, so it was a mistake to try this one when the cetaphil cleanser and mandelic acid toner from muac are all i need to be a hundred percent clear.

on 11/11/2015 7:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

One of the best cleansers I have ever tried. I just wish Canada would start carrying this line again. I try to stock up when I travel to the U.S, but it has been difficult to find lately. I only use this cleanser at night to remove anything the Clinique TTDO has not removed so 1 bottle lasted over a year for me. I also like that this does not make my face feel dry or tight after cleansing and removes any last trace of makeup left along my hairline.

on 9/23/2015 10:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

After using ~4+ bottles of this stuff, here goes...

After using a much more expensive ($30) Boscia face wash that was basically the same (except Boscia tests on animals and Alpha Hydrox doesn't) I'm ready to switch back. Both super-basic face washes. No unnecessary bells or whistles that (according to Paula Beugon) won't have contact on your face long enough to have an effect, which I agree.

Something that was a perk: it's gentle enough to remove eye makeup. It used to be written right there on the bottle. Though it was removed prob b/c they finally hired a lawyer that thought it was a bad idea & not a reformulation issue.

The beef I have with this ultra-gentle cleanser is that it has a super-low amount of surfactants (chemicals that make things slippery, like glycerin/silicone). If my face is a tad too wet (aka, if I'm in the shower or using a scrub pad), I need to double the amount I'm using. After 2 months, I'm run low, so the re-purchase rate is a little too frequent for my taste...Buut I've yet to find a good replacement.

For anyone that's vegan, the glycerin they use is vegetable-based, but the customer rep "wouldn't call it a vegetarian product," even though that was the only possible animal-based ingredient. Ookay...

Excellent cleanser. Removes makeup, sunscreen, and does not dry out or irritate my sensitive skin. Staple in my routine, will continue to repurchase and recommend to others. Doesnt irritate or cause redness, no tightness, and preps skin for serums and lotion. My skin is soft and supple every morning and evening.

Tip: I use the Burts Bees Royal Jelly Cleanser to clean my makeup first!

The first time I used this my face felt SO smooth afterwards. It's great if you need to remove stubborn make up - doesn't sting your eyes at all and takes everything off with ease.

However as a daily face wash it's not strong enough for me. I don't have acne but I do have stubborn blackheads which this doesn't clear. I like to have it to take my make up off but need something with a deeper cleanse as a daily face wash.

I might try it again as a night wash and see how that works.

on 1/20/2015 5:17:00 AM

I used to like this cleanser in my early 20s, but I tried using it again recently and it does nothing but irritate and dry my skin. After a few uses I start to break out terribly. Perhaps my skin is more sensitive now than it used to be, either way I would not recommend this cleanser as anything more than a brush cleaner.