Alpha Skin Care Refreshing Face Wash

Filtered by age: 36-43
Alpha Skin Care Refreshing Face Wash

Price: $

Price: $

2018 Version:Water, Decyl Glucoside, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl Palmate, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, PEG-3 Distearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Idopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Sodium Chloride

on 1/13/2017 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

tldr; This is a super effective cleanser that removes most makeup and sunscreen.

I bought the full line of alpha hydrox products after liking the retinol resq and this is probably my fave of the lot. It's a citric acid based foaming cleanser of ph 6.2. I was previously using Purpose gentle cleanser, and disliked that it does not remove makeup at all. I don't wear waterproof makeup on a day to day basis and I use this daily, to remove my makeup and cleanse. I don't have to use an additional makeup remover. FYI It does not remove waterproof mascara fully. It leaves skin feeling "squeaky clean" without feeling too tight (I have combo - dry skin).

The only downside is that it's hard to find in Canada (but so was Purpose) so I just bulk buy when I cross the border. Ulta usually has BOGO on Alpha products.

on 9/26/2014 7:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

I'm on my third bottle of this and I love it. I wash my face with it while I'm in the shower and it makes my skin very smooth and soft without drying me out or being harsh at all.

on 11/4/2013 6:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Although I've been happy with the Free and Clear Liquid Cleanser, it started to make my skin just a little dry as the weather got cooler, and I thought it would be nice to get a cleanser I can purchase locally (rather than online). So I went to my local Ulta and bought the Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash because it gets rave reviews. Unfortunately, however, I find it even more drying than the Free and Clear. My skin became so uncomfortable that I had to stop using it and order an old favorite cleanser--Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Cleanser. I guess I'll use up the rest of the Alpha Hydrox cleanser as a body wash. Other than causing dryness, it is a nice cleanser--removes makeup, rinses easily, and doesn't irritate skin or eyes.

Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Decyl Polyglucose, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Citric Acid, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Propylene Glycol, PEG-3 Distearate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Ammonium Hydroxide. continued >>

on 10/1/2013 9:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I just picked up a bottle of this low-foaming cleanser at Wallgreen's for under $6.00 bucks. Unlike most of the Alpha Hydrox products, this doesn't contain glycolic acid. It does, however, contain citric acid which is a type of AHA, but I don't think the PH is low enough to allow exfoliation. Not that it matters too much since you're just going to rinse it down the drain. Exfoiliating or not, after using it a few times, I have to say I'm really pleased with the results. My skin feels very soft and clean. I especially liked how quickly this removes oil and makeup without making me feel dry or tight. Just for the record, I have combination (normal to oily) sensitive skin. This might be too strong for someone who is super dry. Also, although this does foam, it doesn't foam nearly as much as the average foaming cleanser. So if you're into lots of bubbles, this might not be for you. Overall, a great product.

EDIT:
After using this for a while, I've started to notice some dryness. Not a lot, but I probably wouldn't buy it again. I only took off one lippie though, because it would probably be great for someone with super oily skin. For the record, I've switched to Aquanil.

on 10/1/2012 1:05:00 AM

I was like the bad boyfriend to this product for over 10 years, always thinking it wasn't good enough for me, looking around for something better, prettier & would smell better. I don't know if I'm finally going to settle down and "marry" this face wash but I think my last attempt at "cheating" with Philosophy's Purity Made Simple has finally made me admit that Alpha Hydrox' Foaming Face Wash is a hell of a lot better than most products out there for cleaning your face. Sorry, but that Purity stuff is totally over-hyped! Yes, it has cool packaging and smells awesome, but that's the best part about it.

The positives about Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash:
- gentle & good for sensitive skin
- removes makeup including eye makeup (except for waterproof mascara) and does not sting my super-sensitive eyes (and I rub it around all over my eyes with them open!)
- cleans thoroughly without stripping skin; does not leave skin all tight.

Things I don't love:
- really boring packaging (but see, this shouldn't be important, right?)
- no smell (which also should be a good thing, right?)
- the formula has become more liquid-like in the past several years; when I first started using it Colorado (where it was first available), it was closer to a thicker gel-like formula even though it was still a lotion. Now it is much more lotion-like and I'm not sure if I like the texture as much. But eh, at this point, I'm coming around to thinking I wouldn't know what to do if this wasn't available any more, so I should stop finding excuses to complain about this cleanser! LOL.

I really wonder how many people would keep using Purity if they tried the Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash. I mean, I know the packaging can make a huge psychological difference, but I think the Alpha Hydrox product is really the better product and I think it's less than half the price of Purity. Haha.

on 8/12/2012 5:41:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

CAUTION - Be careful around your eyes. This product is actually pretty awesome. It will exfoliate your skin and help keep pores clear. It says it is gentle enough to use around your eyes, but after two or three weeks of using this I developed a reaction around my eyes. So I recommend with reservations. Avoid your eye area!
Edit - some of the reviewers below question the AHA quantity in this product. I can assure you there is plenty of glycolic acid in it because it significantly increased my tendency to sunburn.

on 5/21/2012 3:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I bought this cleanser because I was looking for one that had glycolic acid in it. This does a really good job of removing makeup and extra oils without drying out the skin. The glycolic acid also gently exfoliates the skin. Overall, this is a great cleanser. Only downside is that the bottle is small, so I run out fast.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This is one of the most drying cleansers that i have ever used on my face. I honestly wouldn't recommend it for use on any skintype, because there is nothing positive about this cleanser at all. As it has a very chemical smell, and it ended up drying out and irritating my face and eye area badly. Which is why, i had to stop use of it, because i felt like all that is was doing was ruining the skin on my face the longer that i used it.

This cleanser is terrible, and never will i buy it again.

on 11/23/2011 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

After so many recommendations, especially for acne-prone and oily skin I gave this a try but sadly something in it broke me out all over my face after using it a couple of times. This was disappointing after expecting so much.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

No complaints. The price is low, the cleaning is effective -- nice and sudsy when I lather it in your hands before washing my face -- and I have not experienced any drying or other drawbacks. Not my HG ~ I usually switch up face cleansers whenever need more; it is an innocuous product. I do like the thoughtful packaging that allows me to easily control how much product comes out during use.