Alpha Skin Care Refreshing Face Wash

Filtered by age: 19-24
Alpha Skin Care Refreshing Face Wash

4.2

2018 Version:Water, Decyl Glucoside, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, PEG-200 Hydrogenated Glyceryl Palmate, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, PEG-3 Distearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Citric Acid, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Idopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Sodium Chloride

on 11/1/2017 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Fantastic face wash. It foams but only slightly, so doesn't dry out your skin. I don't think it takes off makeup completely so I precleanse with micellar water but finish off with this face wash and haven't had any problems in the 8 months I have been using it. I run out fairly quickly (within 1.5-2 months) but ulta was having a sale where the face wash was only 2 dollars so I bought 5 of them recently for only 10 dollars. Highly recommend - also good for both summer and winter - I hate having to change up my skincare for different seasons so I appreciate products that I can use in any climate. Only complaint is that it is hard to get out the last bit of the face wash with the squeeze top but you can if you don't mind taking off the lid.

on 9/23/2015 10:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

After using ~4+ bottles of this stuff, here goes...

After using a much more expensive ($30) Boscia face wash that was basically the same (except Boscia tests on animals and Alpha Hydrox doesn't) I'm ready to switch back. Both super-basic face washes. No unnecessary bells or whistles that (according to Paula Beugon) won't have contact on your face long enough to have an effect, which I agree.

Something that was a perk: it's gentle enough to remove eye makeup. It used to be written right there on the bottle. Though it was removed prob b/c they finally hired a lawyer that thought it was a bad idea & not a reformulation issue.

The beef I have with this ultra-gentle cleanser is that it has a super-low amount of surfactants (chemicals that make things slippery, like glycerin/silicone). If my face is a tad too wet (aka, if I'm in the shower or using a scrub pad), I need to double the amount I'm using. After 2 months, I'm run low, so the re-purchase rate is a little too frequent for my taste...Buut I've yet to find a good replacement.

For anyone that's vegan, the glycerin they use is vegetable-based, but the customer rep "wouldn't call it a vegetarian product," even though that was the only possible animal-based ingredient. Ookay...

The first time I used this my face felt SO smooth afterwards. It's great if you need to remove stubborn make up - doesn't sting your eyes at all and takes everything off with ease.

However as a daily face wash it's not strong enough for me. I don't have acne but I do have stubborn blackheads which this doesn't clear. I like to have it to take my make up off but need something with a deeper cleanse as a daily face wash.

I might try it again as a night wash and see how that works.

on 1/19/2014 3:15:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

PROS: Cleans everything off. Doesn't dry me out or over moisturize me.

CONS: Doesn't work the best with Clarisonic. Need to pause a lot to foam it back up, otherwise it loses substance.

OTHER: It smells exactly like pHisoderm, another pH balanced cleanser. Maybe they use similar balancing ingredients. The one I'm reviewing has alkyl polyglycoside, though the official site says it should include Decyl Polyglucoside. They must have reformulated it. I will try the newer one in time.

OVERALL: I'd buy it again. It's a good cleanser, I can't find much fault with it.

on 3/15/2013 8:21:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

I am usually vigilant about product ingredients before I use them on myself and I was wary of this product because it contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate and even Sodium Chloride (salt!) but I bought this anyway because of the great reviews on Makeupalley. MUA has proved extremely helpful to me over the years unfortunately this one did not live up to the rating - for me, anyway. I use a gentle cleanser in the AM (non foaming or stripping) and then in the PM remove my makeup with my usual Bioderma H20/Simple Wipes/a mild non-foaming cleanser and then maybe Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion afterwards as BHA toner. This time I used this to cleanse after removing makeup, then Decleor night balm. Literally even with the balm my skin felt so parched and I could tell this had "stripped" my skin and disrupted its protective acid mantle. The next morning I woke up to an irritated rash on my cheeks - like small red blisters. I could also feel an under the skin spot forming on my cheek. I immediately slathered on a rich, soothing mosituriser and luckily this calmed my face and stopped it from getting worse. The rash and spot luckily settled the next day however this experience was enough to make me throw out the wash. I should have known better anything "foaming" is too drying and stripping for me. Plus the claims of this product are false - they claim the product is "soap free" yet Sodium Laureth Sulfate is indeed one of the ingredients (albeit low down in the list - it's still there!). Plus the way you get most products to foam is the presence of a soap/detergent (SLS)!!! I stupidly thought because it wasn't in the top ingredients it would be fine but this experience has taught me to stay away from all skin products with SLS in the ingredients in future and I urge anyone else to do this even if they have combo skin (like me) or even oily...

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I really wanted to like this product (as well as other Alpha Hydrox products) but I really don't think it's for me.
I purchased this a few months ago and have been using it religiously since then, both in conjunction with the 10% Enhanced Lotion and more recently, alone. This makes my face so overwhelmingly dry and tight. It seems as though no amount of moisturizer will replenish my skin once it's been washed with this. To even raise an eyebrow or smile feels uncomfortable. My skin looks terrible.
Since I've been using Alpha Hydrox products, I've noticed that my skin has become much more fussy and aggravated than usual also- probably because it's so dry. Winter definitely isn't helping but I stay inside most of the time. I haven't seen any difference in my skin aside from the fact that it is unbearably dry and more prone to irritation than it was before. Basic cleansers like Cetaphil seem to do a 1,000 times better for my skin than this does.

on 10/15/2012 2:31:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

This stuff is pretty good! I've been using it for about a month and a half now. It doesn't dry out your skin like most other face washes, and it doesn't leave that sticky feeling afterwards. I was surprised that it was so gentle on my skin, since most cleansers break me out. It balances out the pH of your skin, and I've noticed that my oily areas are no longer as oily, and my dry areas are no longer dry. It doesn't keep acne away like I hoped, but it does prevent it from getting really big and red.

on 9/9/2012 4:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Got it free when I purchased the 10% aha lotion. Broke me out like crazy! There's more than 20 red bumps on my chin, each of them with a yellow head. I know it's this cleanser because I never get such severe breakouts all at once. Didn't experience any stinging

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I really really like this cleanser. It obliterates my makeup and leaves my skin soft and prepared for my nighttime products. I'm not in love with the packaging; I would appreciate a pump, or at least softer plastic. I feel like I'm really getting my makeup and sunscreen off, which is so so important to having healthy skin.

This is a non-irritating cleanser that leaves my combo skin very clean and soft. I find this milder than CeraVe and this product doesn't seem to leave a residue like Olay Sensitive. I'd recommend this cleanser for nearly all skin types except extremely dry. I'm on my second bottle and haven't had any dry patches or breakouts since using this.

NOTE: This product contains NO AHA of any kind. It is just a cleanser from a line that makes AHA products. I'm not sure why some reviewers think there's any kind of glycolic acid in this cleanser. It isn't in the ingredients or product description, and personally, I've seen no exfoliation from this product.