Mario Badescu Glycolic Grapefruit Cleansing Lotion

No Image

2.9

Ingredients: Deionized Water, Glycolic Acid,Isopropyl Alcohol, Grapefruit Extract,Polysorbate 20,Neutronix 5/20/09

on 5/1/2016 1:43:00 AM

Fabulous Fabulous toner! Especially for combination-oily ageing skin, like mine. I am over 50 and it works wonders-----alternating it with the cucumber cleansing lotion. This toner people is not meant to clear up acne! It is for smoothing skin, evening out skin tone, lightening dark spots, and helping with wrinkles, and helps with oiliness. I adore it! My skin is smooth, clear and soft, and less oily on the t zone! Love love it! I have tried dozens of toners, as an esthetician, and I will use this forever! Thank you Badescu!

on 9/20/2013 12:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought this based on recommendation for oily/acne probe skin. I tried to stick this out as part of a skin routine.... I think I made it to 3 or 4 weeks. It's just so irritating. I can't tell if this made my skin any worse but it definitely didnt help. It also burnt horribly and smelled like Windex.

on 9/10/2012 6:14:00 AM

I'm surprised by the low rating for this! Rarely can I pinpoint a product and definitively say there was my skin before vs my skin after using blank product. I struggle with constant acne and while this didn't make it dissappear 100% (unfortunately I've never tried anything that did), it did cause a drastic reduction in severity and frequency. Glycolic acid is great for treating acne, and here it's the second ingredient, right after water. (This even has more glycolic acid than the Glycolic Acid toner that has a 4.3 rating. Go figure.) When I ran out of this I switched to a cheaper alternative and my skin noticed the difference (i.e. rebelled). Since I'm still on the hunt for the HG product (or combination of products) that will give me blemish-free skin, I'll probably try another MB toner before repurchasing this one. I like MB products because they freqently contain high amounts of the ingredients they advertise. But, if whatever I get next doesn't work as well, I'd have no problem repurchasing this. It was very, very good to my skin, just not perfect (if such a thing even exists!) Lastly, not related to product performance, but I love the packaging. It has a flip-top small "spout" that's hygenic, easy to control the amount dispensed, and very travel-friendly.

I've been using Mario Badescu's glycolic grapefruit cleansing lotion for several years now and I find ithat t's just as good, maybe a little better, than any other glycolic grapefruit cleansing lotion. We're paying for the name which I don't think we should have to. As for clearing up acne! This product made me break out really bad. I almost stop using it, then I thought that it's probably reaching deep down into my pores where no other cleansing product got to. So I continued using it and eventually my acne cleared up. I must say I was kind of mortified having acne at my age. Wtf.. ..

on 8/1/2013 11:20:00 AM

First Impression:
Again, it is in the bottle with the pour spout that Mario Badescu uses for practically everything. I am not complaining about this, like I've said before, I am a fan. What I'm not a fan of though, is the smell. In the bottle, it's not too strong and has a really clean smell about it, but once I'm applying it to my face, I start to notice the smell more, and it's a bit strong (not as strong as the Special Cucumber Lotion though, so I really shouldn't complain). I think what bothered me the most about it was how bad it BURNS. Like, not just a little, but when I apply this to my face, it starts to sting immediately. It's really unpleasant.

My Review:
I have combination skin- oily on my forehead, chin and nose with dry spots on my cheeks, the side of my nose, and between my eyebrows so I definitely needed a product that would work for all that I had going on. I do not have acne, nor do I have too many old scars or currently erupted pimples. That being said, this cleanser really does work. I have used it nightly for approximately three months now, and for the first time in my life, I have not noticed pimples during my period and the occasional bumps I get on my chin and cheeks have not popped up once with use of this. My skin also looks very healthy and no dull or dry spots have appeared once (although I can't say for certain this product is what has gotten rid of the dry spots for me since at the same time, I began applying Josie Maran 100% Pure Argan Oil to my moisturizer following this toner) I love how easy and controlled it is to get just the right amount of the toner and the packaging is so much better than other toners that I have tried.

Final Thoughts:
So even though I know this cleanser has worked wonders for me, once I am done with this bottle, I am not going to repurchase. Right off the bat, the small is SO strong. I am not sensitive to smells or dislike strong scented products, but this stuff just smells harsh. I don't know, I'm just really not a fan of it. I use a cotton round to apply it to my face and neck and oh my! Let the burning begin. It is terrible. Not only that, but it makes my skin feel dry and itchy too. It's really just unpleasant. It doesn't last long, usually by the time I am ready to put my moisturizer on, it is done burning (but still dry feeling). I even tried switching it up and using this cleanser every other night, rotating with Mario Badescu's Special Cucumber Lotion (which I love by the way. It is cheaper, SO gentle, and the smell is really nonabrasive, a MUCH better toner in my opinion), and that hasn't made the nights that I use this toner any more bearable. Price wise, I paid $18 USD for this at Ulta ($15 USD for the Special Cucumber Lotion) and I really do not think that it is worth the money when cheaper alternatives provide the same, less painful, results.

Ingredients:

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Disclaimer: I rarely write bad reviews, but I have to speak out about this one. It is so awful that I won't even give the the bottle (almost completely full) to a friend. I've been using it to clean my computer keyboard.

I have combination skin, and I have occasional breakouts on my chin/jawline. I've had really good luck with a regimen of gentle cleansers and chemical exfoliants (AHA and lactic acid serums like REN.) I liked the ingredients, packaging, and price of the Glycolic Grapefruit Cleansing Lotion, and thought that it would work in a similar way and give me brighter, clearer skin.

After cleansing, I swiped it on with a cotton ball. My skin immediately started burning and itching like crazy. I splashed it off with water but some damage was already done. Thinking that maybe I needed to develop a tolerance to it, I tried the same thing every other night for 2 weeks. The results were awful, and I developed huge, cyst-like pimples along with irritated skin.

I know what this toner is *supposed* to do, but it didn't work for me. I'm not sensitive to exfoliating acid treatments (used them in other brands) but something about the Glycolic Grapefruit toner is WAY off. Spare your skin and skip this one!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I thought this did a great job of clearing my congested skin and preparing my face for moisturizer. It doesn't pronduce any irritation or sting for me because my face is used to AHAs and glycolic acid based products, so if you are a first time user of such products, use caution in applying it to your face. I recommend testing a small area to see if it agrees with your skin. It is a tad drying, so make sure to follow with a facial moisturizer. This is a perfect toner if you have oily, breakout-prone skin. I look forward to trying the regular glycolic acid toner and the cucumber cleansing lotion.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

WARNING: Not for sensitive skin or sensitive dry skin! It's got glycolic acid and alcohol which are are both drying.

This product is clearly not for anyone, but it works WONDERS for me and I'm so glad to have repurchased it again finally! I have oil acne prone skin, I used to have really bad skin in high school, but my skin is pretty great now thanks to proper makeup removal, my clarisonic brush, and this great toner among other serums/moisturizers. I only use this toner at night, bc it could be a tad harsh, and it def does sting once you've applied it. But it leaves my skin pretty clear and I like to think that the glycolic acid helps fade my acne scars. You only need a couple drops of this toner as it is strong, so it lasts a really long time, I def had it for more than half a year. When I did finish my bottle I switched to Avalons Vitamin C toner, but it just wasnt as great as this one. I was really scared to try this toner out bc I heard your not supposed to use toners with alcohol and I had pretty bad experiences with cliniques toners (that had alcohol) but I was intrigued by the benefits of glycolic acid so I decided to buy it. So if you have oily, acne skin thats pretty resistant do try this toner, i think you'll really like it!

on 2/10/2012 4:24:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This is the second time I've bought this toner. I didn't really notice a change in my skin the first time I tried this. Back then I had a lot more breakouts than I do now, hence it burnt every time I used. However I recently started using MB products again, and this time I've noticed a big change in my skin. I no longer have a lot of breakouts - just the occasional pimple and such. That's all thanks to regular use of the MB products for acne prone skin! It's a miracle what two months use of them can do for your skin... Anyway, that's why I decided to try this toner again. I needed something to help work on my congested pores because that's my main isse right now. I'd like to think this toner helps with that.

To me it doesn't quite burn. Rather it leaves my skin tingling and sometimes almost itching for just a few moments. I can definitely feel it working on my skin. It is a really strong toner. It's not for everyone. But if you have really oily skin with congested pores and what not, this is the toner for you. It's not a miracle product that changes your skin in one night, but with regular use it can do a lot for your skin. I'm using this in the evening and the special cucumber lotion in the morning, and I fully expect that in a month or two my skin will look great.

on 3/24/2011 8:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

I bought this toner and gave it a try. About 1-2 weeks in it made my neck hive out and become extremely itchy! I think it was just too harsh for me. I returned it and got the aloe toner for combination/oily skin, much better! Maybe this toner would have worked over the summer for me but I tried it over the winter and I guess it was too drying and it irritated my neck.