4.2

price range

Reviews

1.0

a year ago

I bought this polish thinking it was a pretty shade that would flatter my very, very long natural nails. Unfortunately, I didn’t read the reviews first so I found out it was a thin, see-through shade after I looked it up online. The reviews claimed you should apply 3 coats to make it opaque and I thought I could deal with it. Well, those reviewers clearly had short nails so they weren’t even able to see IT WASN’T OPAQUE AFTER 3 COATS! When I applied 3 coats it was still see-through... I applied one more. Nothing. One more. Nothing. What a disappointment!!! After base coat + 5 coats of polish + top coat it was still see-through!!! It’s not something you would expect from a polish with such high pricetag!!! There are no words to express the disappointment I feel after waisting so much money on such bad polish... Bad, bad formula, too thin. Shame on you Essie...

About reviewer (1 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Medium

HairBrunette

3 years ago

Clambake is an orange-red nail polish with a lovely jelly formula. Essentially this means that this colour will apply sheer - you will be able to see your nail line through it at two coats - but will dry to an incredibly shiny finish, just like a real life jelly! If seeing your nail line is a pet peeve for you, you may not enjoy Clambake or other jelly polishes. However, this polish is gorgeous in my mind, I wear it all year round and it definitely brightens up your day. It is bright, warm and eye catching, but is still suitable for everyday wear. It looks amazing on both cool and warm skin tones, and flatters both dark and light skins. I find it to be a universally flattering shade. It applies easily, the formula does not run or apply streakily or patchily. Two coats is all you need. The polish has good staying power, lasting for around 5 days which I find to be typical for Essie's line of nail polishes. Clambake is a beauty and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves bright and cheerful nail polish shades. I promise this baby will make you happy!

About reviewer (740 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

4 years ago

A beautiful bright orange-red cream polish. The formula was very sheer and needed 3 coats to be completely opaque. Being so sheer the coats did dry quite quickly! Topped with a topcoat it still looked nice a week later when I changed my nail colour.

About reviewer (51 reviews)

SkinOily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

4 years ago

I love this color. I have ran out of it already two times. I am olive complexion and in summer I get a golden tan and it looks great on me. I just found one at Marshall's at a discount so I hope it is not discontinued.

About reviewer (36 reviews)

SkinCombination, Olive

HairBrown

6 years ago

The application is very easy with Clambake. It's rather sheer without streaking, so easy to apply but you need at least 2 coats for opaqueness. The color is really bright and flashy, and as far as orange goes it's very nice. The reason I wouldn't repurchase is that I preferred the color in photos, but on my skin I'm just not "in love" . I find it isn't the right shade to compliment my skin tone. However, if bright and vivid oranges work on you then go for it because it's pretty and easy to use. I will still wear it since I own it though so it's not even close to horrible or ugly just to be clear.

About reviewer (22 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

6 years ago

Clambake has become my favourite for the darkest period of the year, since it's such a bright and enegizing shade, a bit like visual vitamin C. Verging on neon, but does not cross the line to eye-hurting brightness. I use Essie basecoat and two coats of Clambake and have no trouble with sheerness at all. This stays on well over a week without chipping and peeling, excellent polish!

About reviewer (202 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Warm

HairGrey, Wavy, Coarse

6 years ago

A gorgeous, rich medium red-orange jelly. In some lighting, this looks almost cherry red, and in some, it seems more red-coral, and sometimes it leans decidedly orange. Formula is very nice, smooth application, and despite this being a fairly sheer jelly polish, I got close-enough-to-opacity with two medium-thick coats. I'm not terribly fussed about having absolute opacity, though, so other people might want to use three coats. Note that it does become more opaque as it dries, so while it does go on very sheer, it does lose some of that sheerness with time. Wear is good, other than rapid tip wear, which I get with pretty much any jelly type polish I wear, so I can't really hold it against this one. It seems to be the nature of the jelly beast, at least for me. Yummy polish, delicious warm colour, flattering to my pale, cool complexion, really nice jelly finish. Works well for a jelly sandwich, too. I happen to love sheer jelly polishes with rich, strong colour, so this is a great polish for me.

About reviewer (301 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

HairGrey, Wavy, Other

7 years ago

I really liked this color but I probably wont buy it again. The color is awesome! An orange red thats a 3 coater. My problem with this color is that its way to sheer! You can still see your nail lines even after the 3 coats. Maybe if you put down one coat of white before you use this color it would look better but that just seems like alot of work. So I added Essie Shine of the Times over it & I think it really brought out the orange color of both polishes!

About reviewer (21 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinOther, Fair

HairBrown

3.0

7 years ago

I saw this online on a fair-skinned girl and it looked so pretty-a nice redish-orange. I immediately bought it, excited to try it out for Summer. I have to say, I think this color looks better on fair-skinned girls than tan girls. I am about NC37 and it is bright, but it's not super flattering. As far as the formulation, it's a jelly polish and does go on smooth, but is not opaque after two coats. I have a hard time justifying applying more than two coats, but even after two, you could still see my natural nails tips under the polish. I think this color would look best of fair girls with very short nails, but this didn't work for me.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinOily, Medium, Warm

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

7 years ago

I got this polish from a friend; it wasn't a color I would have picked myself. However, it is a really fun, fresh color for summer! Clam Bake is a coralish shade (orange-red with two coats and tomato red with three coats) that is surprisingly flattering. Great on nails with gold jewelry or on toes for a pool party. The formula, like all Essie polishes, is very smooth and shiny, not too thin or thick and lasts very well.

About reviewer (691 reviews)

Age25-29