Essie Clambake

Essie Clambake

4.3

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Clambake is an orange-red nail polish with a lovely jelly formula. Essentially this means that this colour will apply sheer - you will be able to see your nail line through it at two coats - but will dry to an incredibly shiny finish, just like a real life jelly! If seeing your nail line is a pet peeve for you, you may not enjoy Clambake or other jelly polishes. However, this polish is gorgeous in my mind, I wear it all year round and it definitely brightens up your day. It is bright, warm and eye catching, but is still suitable for everyday wear. It looks amazing on both cool and warm skin tones, and flatters both dark and light skins. I find it to be a universally flattering shade. It applies easily, the formula does not run or apply streakily or patchily. Two coats is all you need. The polish has good staying power, lasting for around 5 days which I find to be typical for Essie's line of nail polishes. Clambake is a beauty and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves bright and cheerful nail polish shades. I promise this baby will make you happy!

on 6/3/2016 3:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

A beautiful bright orange-red cream polish. The formula was very sheer and needed 3 coats to be completely opaque. Being so sheer the coats did dry quite quickly! Topped with a topcoat it still looked nice a week later when I changed my nail colour.

on 1/3/2014 9:15:00 AM

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Coarse

Clambake has become my favourite for the darkest period of the year, since it's such a bright and enegizing shade, a bit like visual vitamin C. Verging on neon, but does not cross the line to eye-hurting brightness.

I use Essie basecoat and two coats of Clambake and have no trouble with sheerness at all. This stays on well over a week without chipping and peeling, excellent polish!

on 2/4/2016 12:02:00 AM

I love this color. I have ran out of it already two times. I am olive complexion and in summer I get a golden tan and it looks great on me. I just found one at Marshall's at a discount so I hope it is not discontinued.

on 4/18/2016 2:09:00 PM

Great color but it's way too sheer. Essie's Clambake is a super-bright, vivid orangey-red. A pretty and flattering shade, but the formula leaves something to be desired. Not opaque even after three coats. Three! I love Essie but some of their polishes have a weak formula, and this is one of them.

Wouldn't buy it again.

The application is very easy with Clambake. It's rather sheer without streaking, so easy to apply but you need at least 2 coats for opaqueness. The color is really bright and flashy, and as far as orange goes it's very nice. The reason I wouldn't repurchase is that I preferred the color in photos, but on my skin I'm just not "in love" . I find it isn't the right shade to compliment my skin tone. However, if bright and vivid oranges work on you then go for it because it's pretty and easy to use. I will still wear it since I own it though so it's not even close to horrible or ugly just to be clear.

on 5/3/2013 12:30:00 PM

I got this polish from a friend; it wasn't a color I would have picked myself. However, it is a really fun, fresh color for summer! Clam Bake is a coralish shade (orange-red with two coats and tomato red with three coats) that is surprisingly flattering. Great on nails with gold jewelry or on toes for a pool party. The formula, like all Essie polishes, is very smooth and shiny, not too thin or thick and lasts very well.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium

A gorgeous, rich medium red-orange jelly. In some lighting, this looks almost cherry red, and in some, it seems more red-coral, and sometimes it leans decidedly orange.

Formula is very nice, smooth application, and despite this being a fairly sheer jelly polish, I got close-enough-to-opacity with two medium-thick coats. I'm not terribly fussed about having absolute opacity, though, so other people might want to use three coats. Note that it does become more opaque as it dries, so while it does go on very sheer, it does lose some of that sheerness with time.

Wear is good, other than rapid tip wear, which I get with pretty much any jelly type polish I wear, so I can't really hold it against this one. It seems to be the nature of the jelly beast, at least for me.

Yummy polish, delicious warm colour, flattering to my pale, cool complexion, really nice jelly finish. Works well for a jelly sandwich, too. I happen to love sheer jelly polishes with rich, strong colour, so this is a great polish for me.

I saw this online on a fair-skinned girl and it looked so pretty-a nice redish-orange. I immediately bought it, excited to try it out for Summer. I have to say, I think this color looks better on fair-skinned girls than tan girls. I am about NC37 and it is bright, but it's not super flattering. As far as the formulation, it's a jelly polish and does go on smooth, but is not opaque after two coats. I have a hard time justifying applying more than two coats, but even after two, you could still see my natural nails tips under the polish. I think this color would look best of fair girls with very short nails, but this didn't work for me.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I really liked this color but I probably wont buy it again. The color is awesome! An orange red thats a 3 coater. My problem with this color is that its way to sheer! You can still see your nail lines even after the 3 coats. Maybe if you put down one coat of white before you use this color it would look better but that just seems like alot of work. So I added Essie Shine of the Times over it & I think it really brought out the orange color of both polishes!

Popular Polishes